[Micronet] 550 relay not permitted error

[Micronet] 550 relay not permitted error

Eric Fong
550 relay not permitted error

Hello:

Got a strange problem that I haven’t encountered before.  I used to be able to send messages to people outside of a Berkeley.edu address, but now when I try it I get the following message:

Re: [Micronet] 550 relay not permitted error

Ian Crew
What host are you using for your SMTP server?  If it's CalMail, have you set the SMTP username and password in your mail client to your CalNet ID/Passphrase?

Cheers,

Ian

On Aug 17, 2012, at 11:48 AM, "Eric Fong" <[hidden email]> wrote:

550 relay not permitted error

Hello:

Got a strange problem that I haven’t encountered before.  I used to be able to send messages to people outside of a Berkeley.edu address, but now when I try it I get the following message:

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

      ‘INSERT PERSON HERE’ on 8/17/2012 11:34 AM

            Server error: '550 relay not permitted'

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Eric

Content Management Technologies
IST-Architecture, Middleware and Common Applications
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] 550 relay not permitted error

Michael Chung
550 relay not permitted error

Eric,

Along with SMTP Authentication (as Ian identified), make sure you are using the correct port and encryption settings as well.

Calmail SMTP settings should read as following:

SMTP Server: calmail.berkeley.edu

Port: 587

Encryption: TLS/SSL

If you don’t have the correct port or SSL setting, SMTP authentication will likely fail.

Michael Chung

Systems Administrator

Haas Enterprise Computing & Service Management

[hidden email] | 510-643-3887