[Micronet] 7" Android tablet ideas?

Jack Burris
Goal:  find an Android (able to run ICS or better) tablet, 7" or smaller, that has a decent camera, GPS, an SD expansion slot, and ideally a mini-USB connector (instead of proprietary).
  • Said tablet should have an active ROM/mod community as well as a plethora of accessories both by the manufacturer as well as aftermarket.
  • This is for a personal purchase.  SO I guess price is somewhat important.
  • User is a new aunt who doesn't want to carry a smartphone (bill) but can tether to her partner's hotspot via WIFI.
  • Extra points if there are accessories available on Thingiverse or similar Maker sites.

Offlist is fine though sharing is caring.  :)

Thanks,
Jack

--

“Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.” - Rosa Luxemburg

Re: [Micronet] 7" Android tablet ideas?

Karl R. Grose
Hi Jack,

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Jack Burris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Goal:  find an Android (able to run ICS or better) tablet, 7" or smaller,

I find the Nexus 7 to be decent.

--Karl

Re: [Micronet] 7" Android tablet ideas?

secabeen
Is there any reason you're not just buying the Nexus 7?

--Ted

On 12/11/2012 11:52 AM, Jack Burris wrote:

> Goal:  find an Android (able to run ICS or better) tablet, 7" or
> smaller, that has a decent camera, GPS, an SD expansion slot, and
> ideally a mini-USB connector (instead of proprietary).
>
>   * Said tablet should have an active ROM/mod community as well as a
>     plethora of accessories both by the manufacturer as well as
>     aftermarket.
>   * This is for a personal purchase.  SO I guess price is somewhat
>     important.
>   * User is a new aunt who doesn't want to carry a smartphone (bill) but
>     can tether to her partner's hotspot via WIFI.
>   * *Extra points* if there are accessories available on Thingiverse or
>     similar Maker sites.
>
> Offlist is fine though sharing is caring.  :)
>
> Thanks,
> Jack
>

> --
>
> “Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.” - Rosa Luxemburg

Re: [Micronet] 7" Android tablet ideas?

Jack Burris
If the Nexus 7 has an expansion slot, I am so on it.

The Toshiba Excite 7.7 would rock too but I see no aftermarket/mod
community.

Someone, push me over the edge on the Nexus.

:)

--

“Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.” - Rosa Luxemburg

Re: [Micronet] 7" Android tablet ideas?

Dan Bluestein
I'd add to the voices saying Nexus 7 (I like mine a lot) but it's
lacking a couple of the requirements on Jack's list:
- no rear camera, and the front camera isn't quite "decent"
- no external storage.
- not much in the way of accessories.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 has expandable storage via microSD slot, but
I don't know how if fares on the other requirements.

dan

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Karl R. Grose <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jack,
>
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Jack Burris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Goal:  find an Android (able to run ICS or better) tablet, 7" or smaller,
>
> I find the Nexus 7 to be decent.
>
> --Karl

Re: [Micronet] 7" Android tablet ideas?

Jack Burris
Another excellent choice, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. However, I can only
find them with 8GB built-in. The price is GREAT but I see my beloved
filling it all up with pictures/video of her new nephew, hence my desire
to have a device with removable storage and something decent for a camera.

I *WAS* going to get her an iPod Touch (5th Gen) but I see it doesn't
have built-in GPS, nor does the iPad Mini (unless you get one with a
3G/4G plan for a whole lot more).

Thanks in advance for these great ideas and informed opinions!
Jack Burris
SSCL

On 12/11/2012 12:07 PM, Dan Bluestein wrote:

> I'd add to the voices saying Nexus 7 (I like mine a lot) but it's
> lacking a couple of the requirements on Jack's list:
> - no rear camera, and the front camera isn't quite "decent"
> - no external storage.
> - not much in the way of accessories.
>
> The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 has expandable storage via microSD slot, but
> I don't know how if fares on the other requirements.
>
> dan
>

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Karl R. Grose <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Jack,
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Jack Burris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Goal:  find an Android (able to run ICS or better) tablet, 7" or smaller,
>> I find the Nexus 7 to be decent.
>>
>> --Karl

“Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.” - Rosa Luxemburg

Re: [Micronet] 7" Android tablet ideas?

gartim
Has anyone (this may be dumb, considering the processors) gotten one of
these tables to present using PowerPoint, without the convert to pdf and
using something like EzPdf? Profs have animated ppts that they want full
function with AND want to draw on them.

Sorry to hijack this thread but couldnt resist. gary

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:07:27PM -0800, Dan Bluestein wrote:

>I'd add to the voices saying Nexus 7 (I like mine a lot) but it's
>lacking a couple of the requirements on Jack's list:
>- no rear camera, and the front camera isn't quite "decent"
>- no external storage.
>- not much in the way of accessories.
>
>The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 has expandable storage via microSD slot, but
>I don't know how if fares on the other requirements.
>
>dan
>

>On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Karl R. Grose <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Jack,
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Jack Burris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Goal:  find an Android (able to run ICS or better) tablet, 7" or smaller,
>>
>> I find the Nexus 7 to be decent.
>>
>> --Karl

>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] 7" Android tablet ideas?

Dan Bluestein
Maybe this'll be enough to push you over the Nexus edge: my colleague
seated to my left just reminded me that you can get external storage
on the Nexus 7 if you root the device. The drawback to this is it's
via USB-OTG so you'll have something bigger than an SD card sticking
out of the device. Here's one example of how to make this work:
http://www.androidcentral.com/how-use-your-usb-flash-drives-nexus-7-root

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Jack Burris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If the Nexus 7 has an expansion slot, I am so on it.
>
> The Toshiba Excite 7.7 would rock too but I see no aftermarket/mod
> community.
>
> Someone, push me over the edge on the Nexus.
>
> :)
>

> On 12/11/2012 12:02 PM, Ted Cabeen wrote:
>> Is there any reason you're not just buying the Nexus 7?
>>
>> --Ted
>>
>> On 12/11/2012 11:52 AM, Jack Burris wrote:
>>> Goal:  find an Android (able to run ICS or better) tablet, 7" or
>>> smaller, that has a decent camera, GPS, an SD expansion slot, and
>>> ideally a mini-USB connector (instead of proprietary).
>>>
>>>   * Said tablet should have an active ROM/mod community as well as a
>>>     plethora of accessories both by the manufacturer as well as
>>>     aftermarket.
>>>   * This is for a personal purchase.  SO I guess price is somewhat
>>>     important.
>>>   * User is a new aunt who doesn't want to carry a smartphone (bill) but
>>>     can tether to her partner's hotspot via WIFI.
>>>   * *Extra points* if there are accessories available on Thingiverse or
>>>     similar Maker sites.
>>>
>>> Offlist is fine though sharing is caring.  :)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jack
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> “Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.” - Rosa Luxemburg

>>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>>
>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>>> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>>> This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your
>>> bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the
>>> past.
>>>

> --
>
> “Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.” - Rosa Luxemburg

Re: [Micronet] 7" Android tablet ideas?

Jack Burris
As I wrote to Karl offlist, USB OTG is a DEAL-MAKER.  And I guess that
means one could even attach other USB-attachable items, like a Digital
SLR to it?

Rooting doesn't seem to be a problem.

Now, the onboard camera kind of lacks.

Is the GPS responsive enough to go geocaching?  :)

In general, with tablets this size, how do you find the ergonomics?  Is
it something you tend to leave behind or is it just small enough and
useful to make it an essential carry-along wherever you go?

On 12/11/2012 12:19 PM, Dan Bluestein wrote:

> Maybe this'll be enough to push you over the Nexus edge: my colleague
> seated to my left just reminded me that you can get external storage
> on the Nexus 7 if you root the device. The drawback to this is it's
> via USB-OTG so you'll have something bigger than an SD card sticking
> out of the device. Here's one example of how to make this work:
> http://www.androidcentral.com/how-use-your-usb-flash-drives-nexus-7-root
>

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Jack Burris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If the Nexus 7 has an expansion slot, I am so on it.
>>
>> The Toshiba Excite 7.7 would rock too but I see no aftermarket/mod
>> community.
>>
>> Someone, push me over the edge on the Nexus.
>>
>> :)
>>

>> On 12/11/2012 12:02 PM, Ted Cabeen wrote:
>>> Is there any reason you're not just buying the Nexus 7?
>>>
>>> --Ted

>> --
>>
>> “Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.” - Rosa Luxemburg

“Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.” - Rosa Luxemburg

Re: [Micronet] 7" Android tablet ideas?

Dan Bluestein
Since I also have an android phone, I don't consider the tablet an
essential daily carry item, but it is small and light enough that I
wouldn't think twice about throwing it into a backpack on any day that
I'm taking enough other stuff along that I'm carrying a backpack. I
haven't used the GPS out and about, so I'm not sure about it's
responsiveness. But ergonomics-wise, I really like the size (note: I
have small hands) and find it more comfortable to use than my wife's
iPad.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Jack Burris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As I wrote to Karl offlist, USB OTG is a DEAL-MAKER.  And I guess that means
> one could even attach other USB-attachable items, like a Digital SLR to it?
>
> Rooting doesn't seem to be a problem.
>
> Now, the onboard camera kind of lacks.
>
> Is the GPS responsive enough to go geocaching?  :)
>
> In general, with tablets this size, how do you find the ergonomics?  Is it
> something you tend to leave behind or is it just small enough and useful to
> make it an essential carry-along wherever you go?
>

> On 12/11/2012 12:19 PM, Dan Bluestein wrote:
>>
>> Maybe this'll be enough to push you over the Nexus edge: my colleague
>> seated to my left just reminded me that you can get external storage
>> on the Nexus 7 if you root the device. The drawback to this is it's
>> via USB-OTG so you'll have something bigger than an SD card sticking
>> out of the device. Here's one example of how to make this work:
>> http://www.androidcentral.com/how-use-your-usb-flash-drives-nexus-7-root
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Jack Burris <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> If the Nexus 7 has an expansion slot, I am so on it.
>>>
>>> The Toshiba Excite 7.7 would rock too but I see no aftermarket/mod
>>> community.
>>>
>>> Someone, push me over the edge on the Nexus.
>>>
>>> :)

>>> --
>>>
>>> “Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.” - Rosa Luxemburg

>>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>>
>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
>>> these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
>>> employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>

> --
>
> “Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.” - Rosa Luxemburg

Re: [Micronet] 7" Android tablet ideas?

kimbercarl
Where can one go to actually touch the Nexus 7?

On 12/11/2012 12:37 PM, Dan Bluestein wrote:

> Since I also have an android phone, I don't consider the tablet an
> essential daily carry item, but it is small and light enough that I
> wouldn't think twice about throwing it into a backpack on any day that
> I'm taking enough other stuff along that I'm carrying a backpack. I
> haven't used the GPS out and about, so I'm not sure about it's
> responsiveness. But ergonomics-wise, I really like the size (note: I
> have small hands) and find it more comfortable to use than my wife's
> iPad.
>
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Jack Burris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As I wrote to Karl offlist, USB OTG is a DEAL-MAKER.  And I guess that means
>> one could even attach other USB-attachable items, like a Digital SLR to it?
>>
>> Rooting doesn't seem to be a problem.
>>
>> Now, the onboard camera kind of lacks.
>>
>> Is the GPS responsive enough to go geocaching?  :)
>>
>> In general, with tablets this size, how do you find the ergonomics?  Is it
>> something you tend to leave behind or is it just small enough and useful to
>> make it an essential carry-along wherever you go?
>>

>> On 12/11/2012 12:19 PM, Dan Bluestein wrote:
>>> Maybe this'll be enough to push you over the Nexus edge: my colleague
>>> seated to my left just reminded me that you can get external storage
>>> on the Nexus 7 if you root the device. The drawback to this is it's
>>> via USB-OTG so you'll have something bigger than an SD card sticking
>>> out of the device. Here's one example of how to make this work:
>>> http://www.androidcentral.com/how-use-your-usb-flash-drives-nexus-7-root

>> --
>>
>> “Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.” - Rosa Luxemburg

Re: [Micronet] 7" Android - Phone?

tedcrum
At 12:19 PM 12/11/2012, Dan Bluestein wrote:
>Maybe this'll be enough to push you over the Nexus edge: my colleague
>seated to my left just reminded me that you can get external storage
>on the Nexus 7 if you root the device. The drawback to this is it's
>via USB-OTG so you'll have something bigger than an SD card sticking
>out of the device. Here's one example of how to make this work:
>http://www.androidcentral.com/how-use-your-usb-flash-drives-nexus-7-root

(change subject to avoid thread theft)

Do any of the 7" pads also work as a phone, if only with Bluetooth?
Jobs was, IMHO, right that carrying both a 4" device as a phone and
an identically-featured but phone-disabled 7 (or 9) inch device is
pretty lame. The iPad Mini had to wait for his passing.

-Ted Crum

Re: [Micronet] 7" Android - Phone?

Ian Crew
The closest I've seen to that is the Samsung Galaxy Note II, which is 5.5", and really pretty cool. (Disclaimer: for those of you who know me, you know I'm a little bit larger than the average bear, so "overly large" usually equates to "just right" for me....)

Ian

On Dec 11, 2012, at 3:00 PM, Ted Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:

Do any of the 7" pads also work as a phone, if only with Bluetooth?
Jobs was, IMHO, right that carrying both a 4" device as a phone and
an identically-featured but phone-disabled 7 (or 9) inch device is
pretty lame. The iPad Mini had to wait for his passing.

___

Content Management Technologies
IST-Architecture, Middleware and Common Applications
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] 7" Android - Phone?

Lucy Greco

Take a look at the nexus rugby I wish I had know about it when I got my nexus 3

Re: [Micronet] 7" Android tablet ideas?

Alex Walton
ON-line, the high end Nexus 7 ($300) offers an unlocked HSPA+ with an ATT SIM card inserted.

Can one purchase this version and use with a T-mobile SIM?

Best,

Alex Walton
OE PS Project Manager

[hidden email]