[Micronet] A Tale of Two Computers

Jon Forrest
A while back I started a discussion about what happens
if you move a disk containing a working Windows 7
installation from one machine to another machine.
I just did this and I have some interesting results
to report.

My original machine was a Dell Optiplex 755, with
a Core 2 Duo and an Intel chipset. My new machine
is a homebrew AMD Phenom IIx6 with an AMD 870 chipset.
So, there are some big differences between the two.

I'm happy to report that after moving the disk
from the old to the new computer, almost
everything worked fine. The one major exception
was that although Device Manager on the new system
saw all 6 cores, Windows 7 was only using 2 of
them. I googled about this issue and found that
it was common, and there was an easy solution
which worked fine for me.

One minor issue is that I had to re-authorize
Windows and Office since my hardware profile
had changed enough that these thought there
were on a new computer.

When I first assembled my new system, I installed
Windows 7 on a new disk just to make sure
everything worked. Just for yuks, I tried
moving that disk to the old system. To my
surprise, this did *not* work. I got a
continuous sequence of reboots. Even
booting in repair mode didn't solve this.
I never figured out how to fix this but I
didn't spend much time trying.

So, I have to conclude that moving a disk
from one machine to another when they
have major differences sometimes works
and sometimes doesn't. I got lucky since
the direction I cared about did work.

Jon