[Micronet] AGILE BROWN BAG: Stop Useless Meetings: Monday (2/9) at Noon

[Micronet] AGILE BROWN BAG: Stop Useless Meetings: Monday (2/9) at Noon

Judy Dobry-2
Hi,

Ever have one of those meetings where everyone sits there like lumps on logs?  How about when one lump turns into a non-stop talker?  Want to transmogrify meetings into lively exchanges of ideas and that end in action plan for moving forward?  Well this meeting's for you.

Shamsah Ebrahim (Haas) and Kim Carl (VC for Research) know the magic that makes meetings work.  At our next meeting, they are going to be running their own Hogwarts School to teach us their secrets.   They'll be finding out where we could use some help.  Then they'll be showing us how the pros do it.

So please come with your questions and get ready to stamp out useless meetings.

Here are the specifics:

Time:  Monday, 2/9 from Noon to 1:30
Place: 200C Warren Hall
Call In Number:  We apologize that our call in number for the last meeting did not work.  We are working to fix this for the next meeting.  We will give full details in the email we send out on Monday.

See you at the meeting,

Judy (on behalf of the Agile Organizing Committee)

--------------------------
Agile Brown Bag FAQ

Who can come to the meetings?
Anyone with an interest in Agile is welcome at the meeting.   We learn by having everyone from Agile neophytes to long time users share their knowledge and experience.

Do you have to register beforehand?
No registration is required.  Just come to the meeting.

How can I get more information about the meetings?
Please get in touch with the meeting coordinator,  Judy Dobry ([hidden email]).

Do you have a Web site?
agile.berkeley.edu is our web site.  It has all kinds of materials for both new and experienced agile users

How do I add myself to your mailing list?
Go to http://agile.berkeley.edu.

Do you have any other Agile activities?
We have an hour long introduction to Agile that we are happy to present to any campus group that requests it.

Who organizes all this?
We have an Organizing Committee that anyone is welcome to join.  Current members include Michelle Bautista(CSS), Kim Carl (VC - Research), Jon Conheim (TPO), Judy Dobry (Grad Div), Devin Jones (Law), Marlita Kahn (IST), Wendy Pennell (EECS),  Andreas Pinterits (LO+D), Donna Seaward (Haas) and Ken Sumikawa (SAIT
)

--
Judy Dobry
Director, Systems

Re: [Micronet] AGILE BROWN BAG: Stop Useless Meetings: Monday (2/9) at Noon

kimbercarl
Dear all,
Here's our plan for the session.

AGENDA

I. Introductions

II. Why we facilitate

III. What facilitation techniques/topics do you want to know more about?

IV. Group activity

V. Facilitators skills

VI. Why do meetings fall apart?

VII. Successful facilitation

VIII. Closure

See you Monday.

Kim and Shamsah

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 6:24 PM, Judy Dobry <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you to those who attended the Agile Brown Bag on facilitation.  Attached are artifacts from the meeting.

Looking at the list of Facilitation Topics of Interest, it looks like a session on Establishing & Enforcing Ground Rules would be a nice follow-up session in which a number of the other items from the list could be incorporated.   I would like to put a call out the Berkeley Facilitators Network to jointly coordinate such a session.

A number of folks wanted more information about the Group Facilitation Skills Workshop that is periodically offered for campus employees.  The contact for that is Kathy Mendonca <[hidden email]>.

Many thanks to Shamsah Ebrahim for co-facilitating the session, and to all those who joined in person, via ReadyTalk and in spirit.  It would be great to get suggestions from the folks who participated via
ReadyTalk about how to better incorporate participation through this medium.

Wishing you all the best this upcoming long weekend.
Kim Carl

---
Kimberly Carl, M.L.I.S.
Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research
119 California Hall
Berkeley, CA  94720
(510) 643-1017

[...]

IMG_0247.JPG (428K) Download Attachment