[Micronet] Access BAIRS and CalPlanning Without Worrying about Your Browser

[Micronet] Access BAIRS and CalPlanning Without Worrying about Your Browser

Ist-Comm Departmental
Good afternoon,

IST recently launched Citrix, a convenient new way to log into CalPlanning, SmartView for CalPlanning, and BAIRS (including HR-BAIRS) using any computer and any version of any browser, anywhere!

Citrix went live at UC Berkeley on April 17, 2014, for CalPlanning and BAIRS login access; and other widely used applications, such as Cal Answers and CalTime, will be added in the near future. Ideally, Citrix will make your BAIRS and CalPlanning access login experience more nimble.

To learn more, read the iNews article:

http://inews.berkeley.edu/articles/April2014/Citirx

Detailed information was sent directly to customers impacted by this launch.

Regards,

IT Communications

Re: [Micronet] Access BAIRS and CalPlanning Without Worrying about Your Browser

Bruce Satow
Is this supposed replace the BAIRS System Requirements?

http://www.bai.berkeley.edu/BAIRS/systemRequirements.htm

If so, does Citrix allow copy and paste, local saves, local printing, export?

Will this work with BFS Browser and System Recommendations listed here?

http://www.bai.berkeley.edu/BFS/systems/systemRecommendations.htm

Will this affect the Travel & Entertainment Reimbursement portion of BFS?

Bruce Satow
Systems Administrator
  University of California at Berkeley
Space Sciences Laboratory
7 Gauss Way
Berkeley, California 94720-7450
[hidden email]
Phone: (510) 643-2348
Cell: (510) 847-1914

On 4/22/2014 12:20 PM, Ist-Comm Departmental wrote:
Good afternoon,

IST recently launched Citrix, a convenient new way to log into CalPlanning, SmartView for CalPlanning, and BAIRS (including HR-BAIRS) using any computer and any version of any browser, anywhere!

Citrix went live at UC Berkeley on April 17, 2014, for CalPlanning and BAIRS login access; and other widely used applications, such as Cal Answers and CalTime, will be added in the near future. Ideally, Citrix will make your BAIRS and CalPlanning access login experience more nimble.

To learn more, read the iNews article:

http://inews.berkeley.edu/articles/April2014/Citirx

Detailed information was sent directly to customers impacted by this launch.

Regards,

IT Communications

Re: [Micronet] Access BAIRS and CalPlanning Without Worrying about Your Browser

David Scronce
Dear Bruce,

I understand that Norm Cheng has responded to you individually, but I'm also replying here in case the answers to your questions may be of wider interest to Micronet:

Is this supposed replace the BAIRS System Requirements?
http://www.bai.berkeley.edu/BAIRS/systemRequirements.htm

While the BAIRS system requirements haven’t changed, if you access BAIRS via Citrix you no longer need to worry about them.  Citrix handles browser and plug-in choices for you.

For now, users have the choice to access BAIRS via Citrix, to adhere to the BAIRS system requirements for browsers, or to use the RDC/BAIRS remote application. Only BAIRS, CalPlanning, and Smart View are currently available via Citrix.

If so, does Citrix allow copy and paste, local saves, local printing, export?

Citrix works like an RDP connection.  You can save to local drives, print locally, and export. The Copy/Paste/Save/Print/Export functionalities will vary with each application and will need to be tested prior to rollout. Here are some relevant job aids:
·        Printing a CalPlanning Report via Remote Access
·        Saving and Printing a BAIRS Report via Remote Access

Will this work with BFS Browser and System Recommendations listed here?
http://www.bai.berkeley.edu/BFS/systems/systemRecommendations.htm

BFS may be offered via Citrix in the future. This service will need to be evaluated, analyzed and tested. A list of UC Berkeley enterprise services under review for Citrix are located at: http://ist.berkeley.edu/services/catalog/datacenter/citrix

Will this affect the Travel & Entertainment Reimbursement portion of BFS?

The Travel & Entertainment Reimbursement portion of BFS is  not impacted at this time.

Re: [Micronet] Access BAIRS and CalPlanning Without Worrying about Your Browser

Christopher Brooks
Maybe UC should do business with vendors that don't require hacks like Citrix and RDP?

Don't get me wrong, I love RDP, I use it for development every day so that I can sit at my comfy Mac and verify that my software works under Windows.

Things like BAIRS and CalTime should just work.

If they don't just work, then I'm sure there are other vendors that are more than happy to take UC's money.

_Christopher

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 2:40 PM, David Scronce <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi David,

Thanks for the info!  :)

I have some experience with Citrix.   I've setup up a Citrix server many years ago at NCEAS at UC Santa Barbara to serve Microsoft apps to SGI workstations.    It basically ran on top of a NT 4.0 server, but this was many moons ago...  (1998 - 1999?)

The reason why I asked these questions was to make sure that all the critical features are fully functional for our business and accounting staff to use.
e.g. local printing, cut and paste, local file downloading, PDF export, etc..

It would be nice to implement BFS into the Citrix system because our business and accounting staff uses all the online business apps - BAIRS, BFS, bmail apps.  etc.

Currently this is how each of our business / accounting office computers are configured running Windows 7:

Internet Explorer 8    (uses hyperion plugin)
Firefox 3.6 -
       The staff uses the above two browsers for BAIRS, BFS, Travel and Entertainment reimbursements compatibility.
       These are coupled with Java version 6 and behind a proxy configuration.

Palemoon 64 bit
       For general web browsing, i.e. vendor research and correspondence.
       This uses the latest Java version.

Chrome - for Bmail / Bapps

It would be great if the Citrix solution would cover all the apps so we don't have to configure the computers like this for the staff to do their work.

Also, I was wondering why there are two lists.
There is  this one:  [hidden email]
and there is this one: [hidden email]

Thanks!
Bruce

Subject:     Re: [Micronet] Access BAIRS and CalPlanning Without Worrying about Your Browser

Re: [Micronet] Access BAIRS and CalPlanning Without Worrying about Your Browser

Bruce Satow
Hi Aron,

I'm glad you believe it maybe an artifact.   Initially I suspected that there were two micronet lists.  One which is fully public and another which maybe public + ?.

Maybe the one that is [hidden email] is somehow associated when using Google mail?

:)

On 4/25/2014 4:54 PM, Aron Roberts wrote:

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Bruce Satow <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also, I was wondering why there are two lists.
There is  this one:  [hidden email]
and there is this one: [hidden email]

  The 'official' Micronet list address - the one to use when sending mail to all the list's members - is:

  [hidden email]

  Where any variations in that address also succeed in delivering mail to the list's members, my best guess is that may be an artifact - documented or otherwise - of our electronic mailing list and/or email delivery infrastructure.  (Comments or corrections from those with more definitive information would be welcome.)

Aron Roberts
Research IT
(co-administrator of the Micronet mailing list)

--

Bruce Satow
System Administrator