[Micronet] Adobe Install

mhulihan
I successfully installed the Adobe CS 5.5 on a 10.6 mac.
I have made 3 attempts to install on 10.7 mac and keep getting failure error messages.

Anybody have any insight?
--
Mary E. Hulihan
CTI

Re: [Micronet] Adobe Install

Ian Crew
I seem to be saying this a lot these days: it worked fine for me (on a MacBook Pro running 10.7.1).  So, it is possible.  To confirm, do you have enough free disk space?  According to http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/mastercollection/tech-specs.html you need at least 26.3GB of free space to install it.

Also, what are the specific "failure error messages" you're seeing?  That might help track it down.

Cheers,

Ian

On Sep 29, 2011, at 9:46 AM, Mary Hulihan wrote:

I successfully installed the Adobe CS 5.5 on a 10.6 mac.
I have made 3 attempts to install on 10.7 mac and keep getting failure error messages.

Anybody have any insight?
--
Mary E. Hulihan
CTI

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] Adobe Install

Baril
Both of the Macbook Airs were running Lion and installed with no problem.....

Roy

On 9/29/2011 9:52 AM, Ian Crew wrote:
[...]

Roy A. Baril
Director of Technology
Graduate School of Journalism
University of California
121 North Gate Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720
510-643-9215 -- Work
510-643-9136 -- Fax
925-352-9543 -- Cell

Re: [Micronet] Adobe Install

mhulihan
I am setting up a brand new machine (MacBook Pro) so space is not an issue.
I do not know why 10.6 would be "case-insensitive" and 10.7 would be case sensitive.
Not to mention Lion is not shipping with disks.

Oh well more joy with Lion...

Now where did I leave that brick wall?

Mary E. Hulihan
CTI

On 9/29/11 9:52 AM, Ian Crew wrote:
[...]

Yeah--a case-sensitive filesystem is not the default on Mac OS, and is generally a bad idea on that platform unless you have a very specific need for it.  (It can cause lots of Mac stuff to break, not just Adobe.)

So that's not your problem.

What are the specific error messages you're seeing?  Typing the exact text of those error messages along with:

Adobe CS 5.5 Mac

into Google might provide some leads....

Cheers,

Ian

On Sep 29, 2011, at 10:04 AM, Mary Hulihan wrote:

[...]

reposted from Ian:

Here are two ways to get a Lion disk:

1) Burn your own Mac OS X 10.7 boot disc:

2) Wait until August and buy a copy on a bootable USB key from Apple:

--roy

On 9/29/2011 10:04 AM, Mary Hulihan wrote:
[...]

0554trd2

I’m not sure if this has been posted yet, but I have found it to be pretty helpful when guiding customers. Most of the problems that I’ve run into have had to do with Java Runtime not being installed by default on 10.7. This shouldn’t be a problem if you transferred files from an old Mac or upgraded a Mac previously using 10.6.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/905/cpsid_90508.html

Best of luck to all!

Ashley

Ashley McCullough

Department Manager Computers

Cal Student Store #554

p. 510.642.9000 x656

f. 510.643.7836

www.calstudentstore.com

Re: [Micronet] Adobe Install

William
I don't have trouble with the Campus Copy of the default installer package from Adobe, but I seem to be having trouble installing with the silent installer package created with the license key built in.  The Campus in identical to the copy that you can also get directly from Adobe.  You still need to enter a license key for that.

The Silent installer is what I'd like to install it on the systems I support, so I don't have to interrupt several people at their desks.  That seems to generate failures messages in the logs on a snow leopard system, then it proceeds to remove items from the Applications folder.  It appears that this package finds newer packages on the system and fails to install the packages that it depends on, chokes on the updated packages, then proceeds to uninstall itself.

.
.
.
<snip>
DS001: Failed to mount the disk image at /Users/wc/Public/Mac/Silent Installer/CS5.5-MasterCollection-Mac-001/Build/CS5.5-MasterCollection-Mac-001_Install.pkg/Contents/Resources//Setup/payloads/AdobeCameraRawProfile6.0All-181110110333/Install.db. Please verify that the disk image is not corrupt.

<snip>
.
.
.
<snip>
DW050: The following payload errors were found during install:
DW050:  - Adobe Dreamweaver Widget Browser: Install failed
DW050:  - Camera Profiles Installer_6.3_AdobeCameraRawProfile6.0All: Install failed
DW050:  - Adobe After Effects CS5.5 Third Party Content Wrapper: Install failed
DW050:  - AmericanEnglishSpeechAnalysisModels: Install failed
[       0] Thu Sep 29 08:50:57 2011  INFO
Call PostSession Custom Hook
:: END TIMER :: [Total Timer] took 2.62721e+06 milliseconds (2627.21 seconds) DTR = 52.2272 KBPS (0.0510032 MBPS)

Re: [Micronet] Adobe Install

Claudia A. WATERS

We downloaded the package for managed workstations.  I got a host of warnings and errors and a few programs did not install when installing on a 64 bit Windows 7 station.    These did not install:

ERROR: DW050:  - Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin: Install failed

ERROR: DW050:  - Adobe Flash Builder 4.5: Install failed

ERROR: DW050:  - Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX: Install failed

ERROR: DW050:  - Adobe Flash Catalyst CS5.5: Install failed

Re: [Micronet] Adobe Install

Sian Shumway
The silent installers were actually provided by Adobe. IST created the serializer files which embed the master key for interactive installations.

We will work with Adobe immediately to address these issues.

Sian
Adobe product Manager

UC Berkeley | Information Services and Technology | Campus Technology Services: Manager

------------------------------------------------------------------------- The following was automatically added to this message by the list server: To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site: http://micronet.berkeley.edu Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Adobe Install

Jon Johnsen-2
You can download the trial version from the Adobe website and license it by using the "serialize" executable.

Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office
433 University Hall
School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
510 643-4357

On 9/29/2011 5:46 PM, William wrote:
[...]

Yep, I've tried that.  Have you gotten that to work?  The trial version is also on the campus share and I've tried that too.  The Serialize app asks me for an additional password and I don't happen to know what that is.  That's after I enter the local admin/sudo password for the install to proceed.  Is that password only available to IST campus admins and not other college admins?

The serialize app and the trial version installer require that I go visit the user's station, since I don't have Apple Remote Desktop now.  Even if I did have ARD, I wouldn't want to be doing it while someone's working on their desktop.  I would like to have a working silent installer so that I can ssh to the remote systems and install it silently and unobtrusively.  I can resort to trying to ditto the Adobe Suite and just running the serialize app at the user station, if serialize works.

Am I the only one running into this problem on the Macs?  Has anyone else tried the silent installer package or serialize app and succeeded, or failed, yet?  I see that Claudia Waters has similar trouble on Windows and I haven't started on those yet.

--
William Chen
Systems Administrator

On 9/29/2011 6:28 PM, Jon Johnsen wrote:
[...]

Graham Patterson

The serializer password is in the documentation files supplied in the
directory containing the 'BUILD'. It is just a word - ignore the quote
marks around it.

Graham

On 9/29/11 10:01 PM, William wrote:

> Yep, I've tried that.  Have you gotten that to work?  The trial version
> is also on the campus share and I've tried that too.  The Serialize app
> asks me for an additional password and I don't happen to know what that
> is.  That's after I enter the local admin/sudo password for the install
> to proceed.  Is that password only available to IST campus admins and
> not other college admins?
>
> The serialize app and the trial version installer require that I go
> visit the user's station, since I don't have Apple Remote Desktop now.
> Even if I did have ARD, I wouldn't want to be doing it while someone's
> working on their desktop.  I would like to have a working silent
> installer so that I can ssh to the remote systems and install it
> silently and unobtrusively.  I can resort to trying to ditto the Adobe
> Suite and just running the serialize app at the user station, if
> serialize works.
>
> Am I the only one running into this problem on the Macs?  Has anyone
> else tried the silent installer package or serialize app and succeeded,
> or failed, yet?  I see that Claudia Waters has similar trouble on
> Windows and I haven't started on those yet.
>

> --
> William Chen
> Systems Administrator
> College of Chemistry
> University of California, Berkeley
> 173 Tan Hall
> 3-1032
>

> On 9/29/2011 6:28 PM, Jon Johnsen wrote:
>> You can download the trial version from the Adobe website and license
>> it by using the "serialize" executable.
>>
>> Jon Johnsen
>> Information Systems Office
>> 433 University Hall
>> School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
>> 510 643-4357
>>
>> On 9/29/2011 5:46 PM, William wrote:
>>> I did try to install the "silent installer" package by clicking on
>>> it, thereby making it not silent.  It did work better, but the
>>> process still fails with an error, after spending an hour churning
>>> away with the time remaining stalled at  "about a minute".  This
>>> time, it did not delete all the Adobe files/folders from the
>>> /Application/, but it still did not add the serial number/key.  The
>>> programs start up as if you just installed the original package from
>>> Adobe where it immediately loads the Adobe registration dialog asking
>>> users to enter the key or start the 30 trial.
>>>
>>> William

Thanks Graham,

It works!

Well, I feel dumb.  I must have glossed over that part in the
documentation since I was still concentrating on getting the the silent
install to work.   My eyes must have glazed over from reading through
the logs when I went back to run the serializer.  The serializer was the
last item I tried before I left for home.  TextEdit on the Mac display
the quotes funny.

I guess I'll have to visit each workstation to do the install.

--
William Chen
Systems Administrator

On 9/30/2011 8:03 AM, Graham Patterson wrote:

> The serializer password is in the documentation files supplied in the
> directory containing the 'BUILD'. It is just a word - ignore the quote
> marks around it.
>
> Graham
>
> On 9/29/11 10:01 PM, William wrote:
>> Yep, I've tried that.  Have you gotten that to work?  The trial version
>> is also on the campus share and I've tried that too.  The Serialize app
>> asks me for an additional password and I don't happen to know what that
>> is.  That's after I enter the local admin/sudo password for the install
>> to proceed.  Is that password only available to IST campus admins and
>> not other college admins?
>>
>> The serialize app and the trial version installer require that I go
>> visit the user's station, since I don't have Apple Remote Desktop now.
>> Even if I did have ARD, I wouldn't want to be doing it while someone's
>> working on their desktop.  I would like to have a working silent
>> installer so that I can ssh to the remote systems and install it
>> silently and unobtrusively.  I can resort to trying to ditto the Adobe
>> Suite and just running the serialize app at the user station, if
>> serialize works.
>>
>> Am I the only one running into this problem on the Macs?  Has anyone
>> else tried the silent installer package or serialize app and succeeded,
>> or failed, yet?  I see that Claudia Waters has similar trouble on
>> Windows and I haven't started on those yet.
>>

>> --
>> William Chen
>> Systems Administrator
>> College of Chemistry
>> University of California, Berkeley
>> 173 Tan Hall
>> 3-1032
>>

>> On 9/29/2011 6:28 PM, Jon Johnsen wrote:
>>> You can download the trial version from the Adobe website and license
>>> it by using the "serialize" executable.
>>>
>>> Jon Johnsen
>>> Information Systems Office
>>> 433 University Hall
>>> School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
>>> 510 643-4357

O r l a n d o    A n t o n i o    S á n c h e z
IT Manager
UC Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive (BAM/PFA)
2625 Durant Avenue
Berkeley CA 94720-2250