[Micronet] Advantages or Disadvantages to using cheaper SSL certificates

[Micronet] Advantages or Disadvantages to using cheaper SSL certificates

Jack King
DSP is looking at purchasing an SSL certificate from a vendor that is
cheaper than the $180.00 cost of purchasing from Versign.

There was some Micronet discussion about this last spring around mid-March.

Some of the issues mentioned were the difficulty in purchasing from new
vendors.

Does anyone have other pro's or con's to using these cheaper certificates?

Thanks,

Jack

--
Jack King
Disabled Students Program

Re: [Micronet] Advantages or Disadvantages to using cheaper SSL certificates

Bill Clark
Some (but not all) cheaper certificates will not work in all browsers,
unless the end user clicks through a bunch of confirmation dialogs or
makes some configuration changes on their end.  If you're only planning to
use the certificate for internal purposes (i.e. to secure an intranet
site) that may not be an issue.  For public-facing websites, that's
probably a show-stopper issue.

-Bill Clark

> DSP is looking at purchasing an SSL certificate from a vendor that is
> cheaper than the $180.00 cost of purchasing from Versign.
>
> There was some Micronet discussion about this last spring around
> mid-March.
>
> Some of the issues mentioned were the difficulty in purchasing from new
> vendors.
>
> Does anyone have other pro's or con's to using these cheaper certificates?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack
>

> --
> Jack King
> Disabled Students Program
> 50 Cesar Chavez Center
> (510) 642-2103

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] Advantages or Disadvantages to using cheaper SSL certificates

Ken Tang
I was the one who brought up the discussion.  We get our SSL
certificates from rapidsslonline.com ($14-$18/year).  The certificates
work with ALL browsers.  No problems whatsoever and it has not been a
show stopper for us at all.  Never had a user complain about the
certificate warning or invalid certificate.  This is with all the major
browsers: Firefox, IE, Opera, Chrome, Safari.

On 6/9/10 5:24 PM, Bill Clark wrote:

> Some (but not all) cheaper certificates will not work in all browsers,
> unless the end user clicks through a bunch of confirmation dialogs or
> makes some configuration changes on their end.  If you're only planning to
> use the certificate for internal purposes (i.e. to secure an intranet
> site) that may not be an issue.  For public-facing websites, that's
> probably a show-stopper issue.
>
> -Bill Clark
>

>> DSP is looking at purchasing an SSL certificate from a vendor that is
>> cheaper than the $180.00 cost of purchasing from Versign.
>>
>> There was some Micronet discussion about this last spring around
>> mid-March.
>>
>> Some of the issues mentioned were the difficulty in purchasing from new
>> vendors.
>>
>> Does anyone have other pro's or con's to using these cheaper certificates?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jack
>>

>> --
>> Jack King
>> Disabled Students Program
>> 50 Cesar Chavez Center
>> (510) 642-2103

Re: [Micronet] Advantages or Disadvantages to using cheaper SSL certificates

Ken Tang
Just to prove it or for more information, you can check out our website
and check out the certificate information to learn more about our
certificate from rapidsslonline.com
https://bwrc.eecs.berkeley.edu

On 6/9/10 5:59 PM, Ken Tang wrote:

> I was the one who brought up the discussion.  We get our SSL
> certificates from rapidsslonline.com ($14-$18/year).  The certificates
> work with ALL browsers.  No problems whatsoever and it has not been a
> show stopper for us at all.  Never had a user complain about the
> certificate warning or invalid certificate.  This is with all the major
> browsers: Firefox, IE, Opera, Chrome, Safari.
>

> On 6/9/10 5:24 PM, Bill Clark wrote:
>
>> Some (but not all) cheaper certificates will not work in all browsers,
>> unless the end user clicks through a bunch of confirmation dialogs or
>> makes some configuration changes on their end.  If you're only planning to
>> use the certificate for internal purposes (i.e. to secure an intranet
>> site) that may not be an issue.  For public-facing websites, that's
>> probably a show-stopper issue.
>>
>> -Bill Clark
>>

>>> DSP is looking at purchasing an SSL certificate from a vendor that is
>>> cheaper than the $180.00 cost of purchasing from Versign.
>>>
>>> There was some Micronet discussion about this last spring around
>>> mid-March.
>>>
>>> Some of the issues mentioned were the difficulty in purchasing from new
>>> vendors.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have other pro's or con's to using these cheaper certificates?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jack
>>>

>>> --
>>> Jack King
>>> Disabled Students Program
>>> 50 Cesar Chavez Center
>>> (510) 642-2103

Re: [Micronet] Advantages or Disadvantages to using cheaper SSL certificates

Bill Clark
Ah, it appears that RapidSSL sells certificates from GeoTrust, which is
indeed one of the (nearly?) universally accepted certificate authorities.
If you buy your certificates through RapidSSL it appears you're getting
all of the technical features of a GeoTrust certificate, just minus the
brand itself -- which, unless you're running an e-commerce site, probably
isn't worth the extra expense.

That seems like an excellent approach: look for a "white label" version of
a better-known certificate authority, since you can then be sure the
certificate will work in (essentially) all browsers, and won't have to pay
a premium to get a brand name that doesn't matter for most purposes.

Does anyone know where to find a list of which certificate authorities are
accepted by default in which browsers, and in particular which are common
to all of the popular modern browsers?

-Bill Clark

> Just to prove it or for more information, you can check out our website
> and check out the certificate information to learn more about our
> certificate from rapidsslonline.com
> https://bwrc.eecs.berkeley.edu
>
> On 6/9/10 5:59 PM, Ken Tang wrote:
>> I was the one who brought up the discussion.  We get our SSL
>> certificates from rapidsslonline.com ($14-$18/year).  The certificates
>> work with ALL browsers.  No problems whatsoever and it has not been a
>> show stopper for us at all.  Never had a user complain about the
>> certificate warning or invalid certificate.  This is with all the major
>> browsers: Firefox, IE, Opera, Chrome, Safari.
>>

>> On 6/9/10 5:24 PM, Bill Clark wrote:
>>
>>> Some (but not all) cheaper certificates will not work in all browsers,
>>> unless the end user clicks through a bunch of confirmation dialogs or
>>> makes some configuration changes on their end.  If you're only planning
>>> use the certificate for internal purposes (i.e. to secure an intranet
>>> site) that may not be an issue.  For public-facing websites, that's
>>> probably a show-stopper issue.
>>>
>>> -Bill Clark

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] Advantages or Disadvantages to using cheaper SSL certificates

Dedra Chamberlin
Hello Micronet,

The InCommon identity federation recently announced a new Certificate
program for higher ed:

http://www.incommonfederation.org/cert/

UC Berkeley is participating in the program, which has not officially
launched, but we are part of an early adopter pilot.

Through this program, verified requests from campus departments/members
will have access to unlimited SSL, personal signing, encryption, and
code signing PKI certificates at *no cost* to the local department.

InCommon has partnered with Comodo, a major commericial PKI certificate
authority. Comodo certificates are supported across most browsers,
devices and application suites (see link above for a FAQ with more details).

The CalNet team will manage this service and is in the process of
preparing more formal communications about how campus departments can
request, and (via specific delegated administration features) in some
cases approve certificate requests.

We will provide more details within the next couple weeks.

- Dedra
Dedra Chamberlin, Manager
CalNet - Identity and Access Management
SNS - System and Network Security

On 6/9/10 6:20 PM, Bill Clark wrote:

> Ah, it appears that RapidSSL sells certificates from GeoTrust, which is
> indeed one of the (nearly?) universally accepted certificate authorities.
> If you buy your certificates through RapidSSL it appears you're getting
> all of the technical features of a GeoTrust certificate, just minus the
> brand itself -- which, unless you're running an e-commerce site, probably
> isn't worth the extra expense.
>
> That seems like an excellent approach: look for a "white label" version of
> a better-known certificate authority, since you can then be sure the
> certificate will work in (essentially) all browsers, and won't have to pay
> a premium to get a brand name that doesn't matter for most purposes.
>
> Does anyone know where to find a list of which certificate authorities are
> accepted by default in which browsers, and in particular which are common
> to all of the popular modern browsers?
>
> -Bill Clark
>
>> Just to prove it or for more information, you can check out our website
>> and check out the certificate information to learn more about our
>> certificate from rapidsslonline.com
>> https://bwrc.eecs.berkeley.edu
>>
>> On 6/9/10 5:59 PM, Ken Tang wrote:
>>> I was the one who brought up the discussion.  We get our SSL
>>> certificates from rapidsslonline.com ($14-$18/year).  The certificates
>>> work with ALL browsers.  No problems whatsoever and it has not been a
>>> show stopper for us at all.  Never had a user complain about the
>>> certificate warning or invalid certificate.  This is with all the major
>>> browsers: Firefox, IE, Opera, Chrome, Safari.

>> visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
>> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Advantages or Disadvantages to using cheaper SSL certificates

Jonathan Felder
If you're planning to use it for internal purposes you can self sign one
for free.