[Micronet] Advantages to using Mac Snow Leopard Server

[Micronet] Advantages to using Mac Snow Leopard Server

Jack King
Our department may be able to justify a purchase of a Snow Leopard Server
license.

We are trying to figure out if the Server product is able to handle
imaging in an efficent way.

Is anyone using Snow Leopard currently to handle imaging of other Macs?

Thanks,

Jack

--
Jack King
Disabled Students Program

Re: [Micronet] [MAGNet] Advantages to using Mac Snow Leopard Server

Baril
We have just converted all of our Intel Macs (workstation and servers)
to Snow Leopard. We also just installed the JAMF product "Casper Suite"
for use with imaging, inventory control, reporting, software updates and
more. This product really rocks! Check the link below:

http://www.jamfsoftware.com/

Cheers,

Roy

--
Roy A. Baril
Director of Technology

Re: [Micronet] [MAGNet] Advantages to using Mac Snow Leopard Server

vanngogh
Hey Jack,

It isn't so much SL Server but utilizing a server to make imaging
easier.  A lot of administrators use different 3rd party applications
to handle imaging.

As Roy mentioned, Casper Suite is one that several people use and is
quite solid from my understanding.

A few other ones you may want to look at include:

Filewave
DeployStudio
LANrev
Puppet
Radmind
InstaDMG

As with most things, I'm sure price is probably a consideration and
something you will want to take into consideration along with what
functionality you are looking for in imaging such as ability to handle
Window images and incremental or patch updates.

Here is a link where you can get to a video demo that the University
of Utah Mac folks have along with videos of some of the above software
packages as well.  Hopefully viewing those may give you a better idea
of what they can do and what may fit your needs.

http://www.macos.utah.edu/documentation/system_deployment/casper_suite.html

Then click on the video link for iTunes U.

HTH,

Anthony Vann
Systems Administrator
Student Labs