[Micronet] AirBears protocols?

tedcrum
Some 802.11 protocols were abated last year, which I suspect has lead
to an older IBM T42 no longer being able to connect.

What should I look for in a replacement card? (I hope to find an
upgraded internal card.) This clunker is essential to a continuing experiment.

Thanks,

Ted Crum
Psychology

Re: [Micronet] AirBears protocols?

Gary Thomas
Hi Ted,

The 802.11b protocol was the only one abated.  Any card that is proper for
your device and application that carries the WiFi Alliance logo and
supports any or all of the following protocols: 802.11g, 802.11a, or
802.11n.

Thanks,
Gary Thomas
IST - Wireless Networks

> Some 802.11 protocols were abated last year, which I suspect has lead
> to an older IBM T42 no longer being able to connect.
>
> What should I look for in a replacement card? (I hope to find an
> upgraded internal card.) This clunker is essential to a continuing
> experiment.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ted Crum
> Psychology

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Gary Thomas
Wireless Network Engineer
Network Services and Operations
Information Services and Technology
University of California Berkeley
Email: gjthomas@berkeley.edu
Voice: 510-643-0370
Fax: 510-642-5622

Re: [Micronet] AirBears protocols?

Rune Stromsness
On 08-Oct-12 10:36, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi Ted,
>
> The 802.11b protocol was the only one abated.  Any card that is proper for
> your device and application that carries the WiFi Alliance logo and
> supports any or all of the following protocols: 802.11g, 802.11a, or
> 802.11n.

I'll also point out that you'll likely get a better experience in
congested areas of campus (such as near busy classrooms, libraries,
residence halls, etc.) if you get a card that is capable of using both
the 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz bands (instead of just the 2.4 GHz band as many
cheaper devices do).  Adapters that support both bands are often labeled
as "Dual Band" or "802.11a/b/g/n" adapters.

Rune

> Thanks,
> Gary Thomas
> IST - Wireless Networks
>

>> Some 802.11 protocols were abated last year, which I suspect has lead
>> to an older IBM T42 no longer being able to connect.
>>
>> What should I look for in a replacement card? (I hope to find an
>> upgraded internal card.) This clunker is essential to a continuing
>> experiment.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ted Crum
>> Psychology

>> visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
>> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Rune Stromsness
Network Operations & Services
Telecommunications