[Micronet] Airbears connection, not thru browser

[Micronet] Airbears connection, not thru browser

Richard DeShong-2
I have a lab of 10 Windows XP boxes that are currently connected to
Airbears.  Our tutors use them to log hours by connecting to a networked
app.

The problem is, if they haven't used a browser, and logged into Airbears,
then the computer does not have internet access, and so doesn't connect to
the db.

Is there some way to make it so the tutor can double-click on one icon,
and it, eventually, connects to the the db.

So the process might be:
  Check for internet access;
  If needed, have user login to Airbears;
  Run Checkout app.

Or is there a way to auto-log into airbears when the user logs in?

Thanks for any thoughts about this.

--
Richard DeShong
Information Systems Analyst

Re: [Micronet] Airbears connection, not thru browser

Guy D. VINSON
Just curious... is there a reason you don't hard wire this lab?
---
Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
510-842-7199

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Richard DeShong <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Isaac Orr-2
That would be the best solution to the problem, especially for a device
that is shared.  That is because if a machine has relatively recently
been authenticated to AirBears by one person, that authentication may
remain for some time for other users of the device who have not proven
their authorization to use the network (nor taken responsibility for
that use of the network).

iso

On 3/7/12 1:23 PM, guy vinson wrote:

> Just curious... is there a reason you don't hard wire this lab?
> ---
> Guy Vinson
> Infrastructure&  IT
> College of Environmental Design
> 510-842-7199
>

> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Richard DeShong<[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I have a lab of 10 Windows XP boxes that are currently connected to
>> Airbears.  Our tutors use them to log hours by connecting to a networked
>> app.
>>
>> The problem is, if they haven't used a browser, and logged into Airbears,
>> then the computer does not have internet access, and so doesn't connect to
>> the db.
>>
>> Is there some way to make it so the tutor can double-click on one icon,
>> and it, eventually, connects to the the db.
>>
>> So the process might be:
>>   Check for internet access;
>>   If needed, have user login to Airbears;
>>   Run Checkout app.
>>
>> Or is there a way to auto-log into airbears when the user logs in?
>>
>> Thanks for any thoughts about this.
>>
>> --
>> Richard DeShong
>> Information Systems Analyst
>> Athletic Study Center
>> 510-642-5123

>> visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
>> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Airbears connection, not thru browser

tedcrum
I have a teaching lab that is built the same way. We have to
authenticate each machine to air bears every week to get updates.

Why do such a foolish thing? We could get an AirBears site for $1000
(this was before they were made ubiquitous in our building), but it
would have cost $10k to have IST install UTP.

-tc

At 01:23 PM 3/7/2012, guy vinson wrote:

>Just curious... is there a reason you don't hard wire this lab?
>---
>Guy Vinson
>Infrastructure & IT
>College of Environmental Design
>510-842-7199
>

>On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Richard DeShong
><<mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]> wrote:
>I have a lab of 10 Windows XP boxes that are currently connected to
>Airbears.  Our tutors use them to log hours by connecting to a networked
>app.
>
>The problem is, if they haven't used a browser, and logged into Airbears,
>then the computer does not have internet access, and so doesn't connect to
>the db.
>
>Is there some way to make it so the tutor can double-click on one icon,
>and it, eventually, connects to the the db.
>
>So the process might be:
>  Check for internet access;
>  If needed, have user login to Airbears;
>  Run Checkout app.
>
>Or is there a way to auto-log into airbears when the user logs in?
>
>Thanks for any thoughts about this.
>
>--
>Richard DeShong
>Information Systems Analyst
>Athletic Study Center
><tel:510-642-5123>510-642-5123

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
><http://micronet.berkeley.edu>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>known you in the past.

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Airbears connection, not thru browser

Isaac Orr-2
Ted,

You should have waited a while, AirBears would have become available at
"no additional charge" ;).

Seriously though, yes, I realize that the cost of the cabling can be a
factor in the decision to do things this way.  I'm just pointing out the
drawbacks of not using the wired network.

iso

On 3/7/12 1:54 PM, Ted Crum wrote:

> I have a teaching lab that is built the same way. We have to
> authenticate each machine to air bears every week to get updates.
>
> Why do such a foolish thing? We could get an AirBears site for $1000
> (this was before they were made ubiquitous in our building), but it
> would have cost $10k to have IST install UTP.
>
> -tc

Re: [Micronet] Airbears connection, not thru browser

Andrew Ring
I don't have a ready answer, but here are three broad ideas.

There is a greasemonkey script for autologing in to AirBears.  (I have
not tested it) http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/114701
One issue is whose log-in would it use?

-OR -

Put a link to a web browser in the start menu to automatically start on
login and to go to a page useful for your users.  I forget the special
folder's name (autostart or something).  Then instruct the users to
log-in to airbear when/if it pops up.

-OR-

A long answer is books24x7 has some scripting books.  Here is a list of
three.  I flipped through the first one and it seemed good.  It would
take a while to extract the useful parts from each book.

Automating Windows Administration
by  Stein Borge
Apress © 2004 (832 pages) Citation
ISBN:9781590593974

How to Cheat at Windows System Administration Using Command Line Scripts
by  Pawan K. Bhardwaj
Syngress Publishing © 2006 (480 pages) Citation
ISBN:9781597491051

Windows Admin Scripting Little Black Book, Second Edition
by  Jesse M. Torres
Paraglyph Press © 2004 (460 pages) Citation
ISBN:9781932111873

On 03/07/2012 10:36 AM, Richard DeShong wrote:

> I have a lab of 10 Windows XP boxes that are currently connected to
> Airbears.  Our tutors use them to log hours by connecting to a networked
> app.
>
> The problem is, if they haven't used a browser, and logged into Airbears,
> then the computer does not have internet access, and so doesn't connect to
> the db.
>
> Is there some way to make it so the tutor can double-click on one icon,
> and it, eventually, connects to the the db.
>
> So the process might be:
>    Check for internet access;
>    If needed, have user login to Airbears;
>    Run Checkout app.
>
> Or is there a way to auto-log into airbears when the user logs in?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts about this.

--
===================================
Andrew Ring
System Administrator
Kuriyan Laboratory
http://jkweb.qb3.berkeley.edu/
Doudna Laboratory
http://rna.berkeley.edu/
University of California, Berkeley
Office:
542 Stanley Hall
Shipping:
176 Stanley Hall, QB3
Berkeley, CA 94720-3220
tel: (510) 643 0166
fax: (510) 643 2352

Re: [Micronet] Airbears connection, not thru browser

Richard DeShong-2

Short answer:  Yes.

Long answer:  Our building’s 10mb shared network is old and flaky.  Maintaining a db connection for more than 5 minutes is unlikely.  So I had to switch all of our staff, and the lab, to Airbears.  Our building is finally on track to having the network upgraded (IST calls is a “riser project”).  Until then, I need to use the wireless config.

--

Richard DeShong

Re: [Micronet] Airbears connection, not thru browser

Richard DeShong-2
Thanks Andrew, I like the Webpage-in-the-startup folder idea.
--
Richard DeShong

I don't have a ready answer, but here are three broad ideas.

There is a greasemonkey script for autologing in to AirBears.  (I have
not tested it) http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/114701
One issue is whose log-in would it use?

-OR -

Put a link to a web browser in the start menu to automatically start on
login and to go to a page useful for your users.  I forget the special
folder's name (autostart or something).  Then instruct the users to
log-in to airbear when/if it pops up.

-OR-

A long answer is books24x7 has some scripting books.  Here is a list of
three.  I flipped through the first one and it seemed good.  It would
take a while to extract the useful parts from each book.

Automating Windows Administration
by  Stein Borge
Apress C 2004 (832 pages) Citation
ISBN:9781590593974

How to Cheat at Windows System Administration Using Command Line Scripts
by  Pawan K. Bhardwaj
Syngress Publishing C 2006 (480 pages) Citation
ISBN:9781597491051

Windows Admin Scripting Little Black Book, Second Edition
by  Jesse M. Torres
Paraglyph Press C 2004 (460 pages) Citation