[Micronet] Airplay and Reflector on AirBears2?

[Micronet] Airplay and Reflector on AirBears2?

Chris Hoffman-2
Hi,

An emeritus professor in Anthro contacted me today about a problem she is having using Reflector (an app that facilitates wireless screensharing from an iOS device to a Mac) on campus.  It worked from her home but not when she was on campus, connected to AirBears2.  Looking at some earlier threads about AppleTV suggests there could in fact be some problem using Airplay over AirBears2.  Any suggestions?  Here’s her original query.

Thanks,
Chris

Dear Chris
I wonder if you have any thoughts on this problem:
I think you know that I am back teaching with Meg this fall (Cultural Heritage in a Digital Age). Last Thursday we had them do an exercise with CoDA’s new mobile app  Mukurtu Mobile. The plan was to demo the app as a walk through for them, using my iPhone mirrored on the big screen. To do this I planned to use Reflector on my Macbook Pro. Everything was ready; students were registered with the Mukurtu.net website and app, they had downloaded the app itself, and then the disaster I had NOT anticipated! I could not mirror my iPhone screen. I had downloaded the latest version of Reflector which would work with iOS9. I could not Airplay to come up on the phone. So I had to use a much less elegant route of a ready made video.
When I got home, I tested out Reflector on my laptop and it worked perfectly. So I came to the conclusion that the problem was some kind of blocker for mirroring involving Airbears 2.
do you know if that is indeed the case, and if there is a workaround.
Any help would be appreciated.

Re: [Micronet] Airplay and Reflector on AirBears2?

Kevin Chan-2
Hi Chris,

Without knowing more specifics, it is hard to pinpoint the issue; however, there are known incompatibilities between the AirPlay protocol and default network settings on enterprise networks (including AirBears2 and the campus network). Here are some possible reasons why Reflector connection between the iPhone and OS X laptop may not be working:

1. The devices were on different networks - e.g. iPhone on cell network, OS X on AirBears2
2. The devices were both on AirBears2, but on different subnets
3. The devices were on the same subnet of AirBears2, but AirBears2 is not set up to route AirPlay protocol (I am not sure this is true, but we would need IST Network to confirm).

In short, there is a limitation to AirPlay protocol routing - primarily, the protocol was not designed for routing across subnets. There are network routing devices that can be configured to handle routing AirPlay across subnets, but this also introduce a lot of other issues (random devices showing up as available AirPlay devices), so it is certainly not enabled by default.

  Kevin Chan

  Manager - Systems Administration Team
  Educational Technology Services
  UC Berkeley

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Chris Hoffman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tim Gotch
Hi Chris,

Along with the issues that Kevin mentions re: subnets, Bonjour discovery is blocked on Airbears2 right now, so Airplay displays (apple tv, reflector, etc) don't show up as potential display locations on the devices. We have seen users mitigate this in Reflector by using Bluetooth instead of wifi, which actually works pretty well once you get it going (but is not officially supported by Reflector.) Alternatively, you can set up the laptop as an adhoc wifi network, connect the phone to that instead of airbears and then the discovery will work. Neither is a "simple" solution though.

Regards,
Tim Gotch
UC Berkeley Educational Technology Services
Digital Media Support & Classroom Technology
510-220-5193 • [hidden email]

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 1:50 PM, Kevin Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Christopher A. Morrison
AirPlay won’t work over AirBears (any version). However, there may be a way to get this to work, assuming the Apple TV is the correct version with the latest firmware:

Check out the “Use peer-to-peer AirPlay” section.

: )

[...]

Ian Crew
Another idea:

Unless the wireless capability is important, it's possible to mirror (and even record, if you wish) the display of an iOS device onto a Mac when it's connected via USB,with no third party software or wifi connections required. See http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/21/how-to-record-video-from-phone-to-mac/ for how.

With a long lightning to USB cable, you could even have a fair degree of ability to wander.

Cheers,

Ian

ANNOUNCEMENTS: To send announcements to the Micronet list, please use the <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;micronet-announce@lists.berkeley.edu&#39;);" target="_blank">micronet-announce@... list.

--
___
Ian Crew

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor