[Micronet] [Announce] Micronet meeting May 18: Campus backup

[Micronet] [Announce] Micronet meeting May 18: Campus backup

Vivian Sophia
Hi Micronet,

Please join us for the following meeting:

Information Services and Technology’s Backup group will review the current landscape of IST backup services including what’s available and best suited for user needs. The team will then look at current and upcoming projects to improve backup services.

A Q&A session will follow the group’s presentation.

Ask questions about InSync! Ask questions about UCBackup!

Date: May 18

Time: 10:30am

Place: S300T -- Haas Compter Center Classroom

Vivian Sophia
Berkeley IT
CSS IT High-Impact Client Support Lead
Micronet Community of Practice Coordinator
University of California, Berkeley
310B Durant Hall

To learn more about Micronet, please visit the Micronet Web site: http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Micronet" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/group/micronet-list/.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/CAO%2BvSVx0VeoVsnN5qVWL7Wu57-ZU%3DNKU3GHuRZ7WSTAgCmp0kg%40mail.gmail.com.

Re: [Micronet] [Announce] Micronet meeting May 18: Campus backup

John Torres-O'Callaghan
Hello Micronet,

Here are the answers to a couple of this morning's questions:

Q: Is it possible to see what versions of a file are available to restore from inSync?
A: Yes.  In both the client software and web interface, there is a search bar under Restore where you can enter a full or partial filename, and inSync will show you all matching files and versions.  The exact appearance of the list varies a bit depending whether there is one match (all versions listed) or multiple matching files (each filename listed with an arrow expand the listing for any files with multiple versions).  Right-click to restore or download.

Q: If "My Documents" is a Windows junction point redirecting to another drive on the local system, will inSync back up the contents?
A: Unfortunately, no.  inSync will not cross junction points, regardless of whether they point to network or local drives.

--
John Torres-O'Callaghan
IS&T Storage and Backup Administrator

To learn more about Micronet, please visit the Micronet Web site: http://micronet.berkeley.edu

Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Micronet" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/group/micronet-list/.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/CAGYUFW1rx0EyvvLUnzwUg9pHrtj_x_kD%3DbiMff-OCAK3ixUb9A%40mail.gmail.com.

Re: [Micronet] [Announce] Micronet meeting May 18: Campus backup

Graham Patterson
On 5/18/16 1:49 PM, John Torres-O'Callaghan wrote:
[...]
> Q: If "My Documents" is a Windows junction point redirecting to another
> drive on the local system, will inSync back up the contents?
> A: Unfortunately, no.  inSync will not cross junction points, regardless
> of whether they point to network or local drives.
[...]

As long as that behavior is consistent over time, a Junction point could
be used to exclude a directory tree from backup while apparently leaving
it in the normal location.

It's inconvenient that it will not follow Junctions, but understandable
- who knows where it would stop.

Does this apply to hard/soft/Finder links on OSX as well?

I have some cases where there are virtual machine files in user space.
Not something that needs regular backup, and they are space hogs.

Rm 111, Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-1984
puzzles, and the meteorite..." - used to be the directions to my office.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/67880550-509c-f280-988b-1d5b784f82e6%40berkeley.edu.

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 2:03 PM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Does this apply to hard/soft/Finder links on OSX as well?

Druva answers:

inSync backup works for the hard links on both Windows and Mac OS. inSync client does not backup soft links.

I have some cases where there are virtual machine files in user space.
Not something that needs regular backup, and they are space hogs.

We have attempted to exclude VM files from backups.  Please see http://ist.berkeley.edu/ucbackup/insync/config for a list of excluded file types and folders.  We'd be happy to hear about any files we have overlooked.

inSync can be installed within virtual machines to back up your data in the VMs

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/d/msgid/micronet-list/CAGYUFW1e4nDyLBYm79fqLkoymTqsBkPMSWt7FmuH-isq7rSNFg%40mail.gmail.com.