[Micronet] [Announce] Microsoft Office for iOS now works with Box

[Micronet] [Announce] Microsoft Office for iOS now works with Box

Ian Crew
Hi All:

FYI, last night, Microsoft released a new version of Office for iOS that adds Box storage capabilities (in addition to the existing Dropbox and OneDrive support).

See http://blogs.office.com/2015/02/17/new-cloud-storage-integration-office/ for Microsoft's announcement, http://blog.box.com/2015/02/a-more-open-enterprise/ for Box's announcement, and http://kb.berkeley.edu/page.php?id=44390 for our comparison of the various collaboration options that are supported here on campus, which includes a good overview of the capabilities of the Box service.

Cheers,

Ian

___
Ian Crew

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] [Announce] Microsoft Office for iOS now works with Box

Greg Merritt
Er, I mean "Office 365 subscription version."  Here's a quote from a review after the "you don't have to pay to edit!" change:

"It's important to note that, while these free apps aren't hamstrung in significant ways, Office power users will find there are incentives for purchasing an Office 365 subscription, including advanced change tracking features, no limits on the ways you can use paragraph styles, and advanced chart, table, and picture formatting tools."

So, yeah, they went from "view-only or subscribe to edit" to "do lots of editing, but not 100% of what the apps can do."

Hm, maybe I was just doing something wrong with the projector, though....I'll check again.  (If anyone has used the non-office-365-subscription version of PowerPoint on iOS, and has tried projecting, let me know how it went!)

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 10:24 AM, Ian Crew <[hidden email]> wrote:
As far as I'm aware, there's not a "free" vs. "full" version of iOS office...I've never tried projecting with it, though.

Cheers,

Ian

On Feb 17, 2015, at 10:21 AM, Greg MERRITT <[hidden email]> wrote:

Cool!

Ian, any word about if/whether/when we might be able to use the full version of iOS Office under campus agreement?  (I tried using iOS PowerPoint for a presentation, and I believe that it was refusing to use the external projector for the slideshow since it was running in freebie mode....d'oh!)

-Greg