[Micronet] Any Vendors Using Square on Campus

[Micronet] Any Vendors Using Square on Campus

David L. Rogers
Hi, Yali's Cafe is Stanley Hall is planning to move to a Square/iPad
based point of sale (POS) system.  Does anybody know of other food
vendors who are doing this and what their experience has been?  Is
AirBears2 a reliable enough wireless connection or should they set up
their own wireless hotspot?  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Dave Rogers

--
Dave Rogers
Stanley Hall Building Manager

QB3-Berkeley
University of California, Berkeley
174C Stanley Hall, #3220

Re: [Micronet] Any Vendors Using Square on Campus

Sean McMahon
Hi David,

I recall the Babette Cafe at the Berkeley Art Museum using a Square/iPad POS system when I last visited, though I haven't been for a year or so. I would expect that Airbears2 would certainly be an adequate connection.

Regards,

Sean

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 8:38 AM, David Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, Yali's Cafe is Stanley Hall is planning to move to a Square/iPad
based point of sale (POS) system.  Does anybody know of other food
vendors who are doing this and what their experience has been?  Is
AirBears2 a reliable enough wireless connection or should they set up
their own wireless hotspot?  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Dave Rogers

--
Dave Rogers
Stanley Hall Building Manager

QB3-Berkeley
University of California, Berkeley
174C Stanley Hall, #3220

Sean McMahon

IT Service Desk Analyst

University of California, Berkeley

Campus Shared Services - IT

1608 4th Street

Berkeley, CA 94710-7600

Office: 510.664.9303

sharedservices.berkeley.edu

Version: Mailvelope v0.8.2

Comment: Email security by Mailvelope - http://www.mailvelope.com

xsBNBFOE450BB/9CEmJt3zt9B+Xn/IHH6U6qpxcbf8z54X6dXZ+38KRV1Ab3

cAli8saROa0AwBa4p7pD/xLMy/gfELedE816NArkz0GRFDg83H17x8c82ATT

ky9ch0VciUahrfOEvgX9YDNEth6MvdBcE6AdGbOdifmLILI+cvEIlDiJyeST

82xL/opwlCYfahpmH1mRpCqi0Y+Qll/ko/T+S1LFZb1l1GTyDiU4CXltpVaE

w1VviyehGLagljIaehsaVeK632+LvGKme0iCrzhHqz6M0EFpJyi+yCN09PlI

VSiRTjVpp1/Wz0uR7hgrfbXEo0ttVOmbQ3HmvqDLj0CjQ+4ACJv1nc7PABEB

AAHNKiJTZWFuIE0uIE1jTWFob24iIDxzZWFubW1jbWFob25AZ21haWwuY29t

PsLAcgQQAQgAJgUCU4TjngYLCQgHAwIJEALYNWHk+gaHBBUIAgoDFgIBAhsD

Ah4BAADcFAf9HB8zhQCc3Ps4lA+vse2rpYgMQqUug4GpfN2TAzdEssz/hztq

thB0NFgDD3eQqihoIIg6IvcF3pEWWKNIB9CxfH+y7napXv4pIlx6HPQoVL85

CWryShNoRqafafdkxK+7jmnYkEpvddg/rO2wtIxD9Pb66P0wbFPvC7dPDVIg

Jz6+UGxEaI8djIxNhjCI8mBL7CyN2AveTadt0Mf2t8zsxSbwhIGu3x2Rh355

pBzAeA5pgj5re+tT4g3pAK9wZzO61DaxkAF+rB5jFCIVgFnrUFd6okcAzLRk

bWGCRlz+Dx3gORLfSPMastIZmH0JECHUWAUJczRIl66IP6hIYqPJfM7ATQRT

hOOeAQgA6WZjAW2k2Uq1yIHCc6t4z/IIgqZZJeKuGCo1LlPrtmJhS+Ibcw7m

yB9WqdnL3NaguHWAhPwttE1jl/hGsjnaQC+2fLG4DwRv/D1ZoybVJoA2osmK

hQO6GrD74aDRe3bauBhcgcmgBRT+boh0+zA9tUMa+uuqf37b5nd45MBWnZIG

xhiFxkxky3bbHpp1y6h+kgr32FVeDTQiqJI8O1JBrLj5S9y8A3YHNOqQJgH0

mQlSUEjztf+If1xIE33SC3GJ3Oa1zy75rPYma7XXkP+tdarHcvky16NQgbQG

3VCKTry/lGqr8MUazliUqjL0S4h+UMQomhGI3VYkkmzlg2wglwARAQABwsBf

BBgBCAATBQJThOOiCRAC2DVh5PoGhwIbDAAAPlEH/RREVZSIVZThMQpTRTZW

vKu1XUxTW4EU9ZXlfYSVQuudbwpNmlUb0GXVYuKaeEp+JQTFaj1OCOfP7wXt

qHRzy0k2OCI+mf3fqRF1Hwr20iHadPwTHjw4Vy3zUotvQvurEdRMSnkRNUwb

miTZlSjLM11FseIvB6qk/tbS8OFheTYMHzskMfbdDny3JuWweKXPQQ5ILcZz

HHeAkB0RvjGHuvigRyJBwzH/trdYYf0G7gg6Y/ET+fDsuwq8jErpVcFZjGu9

GwW6zzCflyQkp6nWWcOijOauWDGhoZsn6vA8imRPfxO2wPTWbNQhtyrtsFzj

vcQHen38kRCFriPmQTNQYC8=

=u4Ct

-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

Re: [Micronet] Any Vendors Using Square on Campus

Mike Howard
My understanding is that the campus network must not be used to provide Internet access to commercial vendors that operate on campus. Bringing credit cards onto the campus network can expose the University to significant risk. You should talk to the IT Policy group.

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Sean Michael McMahon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Network Engineer
UC Berkeley SAIT

Re: [Micronet] Any Vendors Using Square on Campus

I my innocence, I thought Square used a cellular data connection. In
that case campus network restrictions would not apply. Not to say other
policies don't, of course.

Graham

On 8/12/14 8:38 AM, David Rogers wrote:
> Hi, Yali's Cafe is Stanley Hall is planning to move to a Square/iPad
> based point of sale (POS) system.  Does anybody know of other food
> vendors who are doing this and what their experience has been?  Is
> AirBears2 a reliable enough wireless connection or should they set up
> their own wireless hotspot?  Any advice would be much appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
> Dave Rogers

Re: [Micronet] Any Vendors Using Square on Campus

Richard DeShong-2
It uses the network connection of the device on which it is installed.  So the iPhone or iPad could use either.   Using a local wi-fi hotspot (such as AirBears) might produce a better user experience - depending on the cell reception in the area.  I doubt that the Square traffic would make much of a ding on the minimum data plan of those devices, so cost would probably not be a factor (if using the cell network).

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:

I my innocence, I thought Square used a cellular data connection. In
that case campus network restrictions would not apply. Not to say other
policies don't, of course.

Graham

On 8/12/14 8:38 AM, David Rogers wrote:
> Hi, Yali's Cafe is Stanley Hall is planning to move to a Square/iPad
> based point of sale (POS) system.  Does anybody know of other food
> vendors who are doing this and what their experience has been?  Is
> AirBears2 a reliable enough wireless connection or should they set up
> their own wireless hotspot?  Any advice would be much appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
> Dave Rogers

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

On Aug 12, 2014, at 10:10 AM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:

I my innocence, I thought Square used a cellular data connection. In
that case campus network restrictions would not apply. Not to say other
policies don't, of course.

I believe Square uses the iPhone/iPad's data connection, regardless of what that connection might be (WiFi or cellular).  As I understand it, many vendors -- on food trucks, for example -- purchase cell-enabled iPads to use with Square in locations where network coverage would otherwise be unavailable, but I don't believe it's required.

Ian

___

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] Any Vendors Using Square on Campus

Luke Rockwell
Square uses whatever data connection you have.

Luke Rockwell
Systems Administrator
Information Technology

Cal Alumni Association | UC Berkeley
1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720
T 510.900.8196
F 510.642.6252

Commitment, Support, Passion

_____________________________________

alumni.berkeley.edu

_____________________________________

Facebook | LinkedIn

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Ian Crew <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Aug 12, 2014, at 10:10 AM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:

I my innocence, I thought Square used a cellular data connection. In
that case campus network restrictions would not apply. Not to say other
policies don't, of course.

I believe Square uses the iPhone/iPad's data connection, regardless of what that connection might be (WiFi or cellular).  As I understand it, many vendors -- on food trucks, for example -- purchase cell-enabled iPads to use with Square in locations where network coverage would otherwise be unavailable, but I don't believe it's required.

Ian

___

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] Any Vendors Using Square on Campus

So the problem with Square on campus is ensuring that it does not use
the campus wireless service?

Graham

On 8/12/14 10:49 AM, Richard DESHONG wrote:

> It uses the network connection of the device on which it is installed.
>  So the iPhone or iPad could use either.   Using a local wi-fi hotspot
> (such as AirBears) might produce a better user experience - depending on
> the cell reception in the area.  I doubt that the Square traffic would
> make much of a ding on the minimum data plan of those devices, so cost
> would probably not be a factor (if using the cell network).
>

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     I my innocence, I thought Square used a cellular data connection. In
>     that case campus network restrictions would not apply. Not to say other
>     policies don't, of course.
>
>     Graham
>

>     On 8/12/14 8:38 AM, David Rogers wrote:
>     > Hi, Yali's Cafe is Stanley Hall is planning to move to a Square/iPad
>     > based point of sale (POS) system.  Does anybody know of other food
>     > vendors who are doing this and what their experience has been?  Is
>     > AirBears2 a reliable enough wireless connection or should they set up
>     > their own wireless hotspot?  Any advice would be much appreciated.
>     >
>     > Sincerely,
>     > Dave Rogers
>     >
>

>     --
>     Graham Patterson, Systems Administrator
>     Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-2222
>     "...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon, the mathematical
>     puzzles, and the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

>     meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>     http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>     Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>     world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>     on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>     others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>     known you in the past.
>

> --
> Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
> 164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
> 510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu <http://asc.berkeley.edu>

Re: [Micronet] Any Vendors Using Square on Campus

Richard DeShong-2
Rather than speculating, maybe someone could check to see what all of the other on-campus vendors are doing?

There seem's to be about 50 on that list.

[...]

paul rivers

Before making any plans around payment methods for credit cards for the
Campus, please check with our credit card coordinator, Patrick Buckley,
to ensure the solution you are considering is deemed PCI compliant.

The use of Square isn't "just" a security issue. It is also (and
largely) a compliance issue. One group on campus that has a breach and
is found to be out of compliance will have a tremendous financial impact
on every other group on campus who also accepts credit cards.

Another way of putting this point about compliance: it doesn't matter
what you, I, or anyone else thinks about the security of the proposed
solution. Whether a proposed solution is considered adequate is
ultimately up to what our bank deems acceptable, and to that end, our
system-wide QSA may help satisfy the bank's concerns. There are real
costs associated with adding payment card solutions to the Campus menu
of payment card options.

Regards,
Paul