[Micronet] Any campus license for online meetings?

[Micronet] Any campus license for online meetings?

Pamela Reynolds
  Hi,

We're looking at a WebEx or Go2Meeting subscription for online meetings,
with audio, for our faculty and remote collaborators. Skype and Ustream
don't really meet our needs for this, we need high quality application
sharing and audio for at least 6 locations. This seems like it must be
something done on campus a lot?

Does anyone know of a campuswide solution or have suggestions?
thanks
Pam

Pamela Reynolds
Department of Bioengineering, UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Any campus license for online meetings?

Ian Crew
UC (systemwide) has a license for ReadyTalk--see http://businessservices.berkeley.edu/business-services/ready-talk for details of the license, and http://www.readytalk.com/services/web-meetings.php for a list of ReadyTalk's features.  I've used it a couple of ends as a participant (not organizer) of a meeting, and it seems to have most of the features you'd expect with WebEx, Go2Meeting, and the ilk.

Hope this helps,

Ian

On Jul 27, 2010, at 4:37 PM, Pamela Reynolds wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> We're looking at a WebEx or Go2Meeting subscription for online meetings,
> with audio, for our faculty and remote collaborators. Skype and Ustream
> don't really meet our needs for this, we need high quality application
> sharing and audio for at least 6 locations. This seems like it must be
> something done on campus a lot?
>
> Does anyone know of a campuswide solution or have suggestions?
> thanks
> Pam

> Pamela Reynolds
> Department of Bioengineering, UC Berkeley

Media Vault Program
Information Services and Technology-Data Services
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
http://mvp.berkeley.edu

Outgoing Chair, Chancellor's Staff Advisory Committee
http://csac.chance.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Any campus license for online meetings?

Ian Crew
Whoops.  That should have read "I've used it a couple of TIMES as a participant"!  Sorry for any confusion.

Ian

On Jul 27, 2010, at 4:40 PM, Ian Crew wrote:

> I've used it a couple of ends as a participant

Ian Crew
Media Vault Program
Information Services and Technology-Data Services
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
http://mvp.berkeley.edu

Outgoing Chair, Chancellor's Staff Advisory Committee
http://csac.chance.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Any campus license for online meetings?

Tim Heidinger
Have you considered the UC wide agreement with ReadyTalk?  I haven't
used it, but the agreement dates from Apr 2009, see
http://businessservices.berkeley.edu/sites/businessservices.berkeley.edu/files/content/ReadyTalk_Announcment_Letter.pdf
and
http://pages.readytalk.com/UCSystem_info.html

Another option might be http://oovoo.com/, 6 way audio and desktop
sharing for $40/month w/ 30 day free trial.
Tim

--
Tim Heidinger<[hidden email]>
University of California, Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Any campus license for online meetings?

Kevin Newman-3
We use ReadyTalk quite a bit at University Relations and it works great.

Audio is just .02 cents a minute which is much less than the .13 cents we
paid our other vendor.

Web is free.

And you can record your calls for later playback.

Kevin Newman
Associate Director, Infrastructure
Information Technology
University of California, Berkeley
University Relations
2000 Center Street, MC 4200
Berkeley, CA 94720-4200
510.643.5930  FAX:  510.643.2154
E-Mail:  [hidden email]

--
Tim Heidinger<[hidden email]>
University of California, Berkeley
Kuali Student Program Office  Phone: (510) 629-4272

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Any campus license for online meetings?

Brian Peterson
I've used both ready talk and goto meeting. Ready talk is something many
within UC seem familiar with because of the UC agreement so it seems easier
to get people to get past the technical hurdles and get online, but both are
relatively easy and painless. The quality of both is good. Goto meeting
works well with larger audiences.

Brian Peterson | University of California, Berkeley
Office of Undergraduate Admissions | Associate Director, Systems

--
Tim Heidinger<[hidden email]>
University of California, Berkeley
Kuali Student Program Office  Phone: (510) 629-4272

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Any campus license for online meetings?

Kathleen Valerio
I've tried to use GoToMeeting for on-line training and the audio didn't
synchronize well with the visual - it was also a hassle for participants to
have to "install" GoToMeeting on their desk tops since everything is locked
down so tight. I had hopes of offering more live webinar workshops to staff
this way through Calpact - but thus far it hasn't panned out. In the trial
runs we have up to 10 participants and the instructor logged in remotely.

On the other hand, I have successfully used Ready talk a few times with 2-4
people on the line from multiple locations to share desktops and
troubleshoot systems problems live with technicians. I was able to show
people exactly the steps I took and what results I was getting. We were able
to duplicate errors "live" and diagnose problems in real time.  I have not
yet tried to use this format for any online live kinds of training. I'm not
really sure how I'd go about setting up such a session.  I'm open to
suggestions if anyone has any.

Kathleen Valerio
CalPact Coordinator &
Data Compliance Manager
Center for Organization & Workforce Effectiveness (COrWE)
191 University Hall
2199 Addison St.
Berkeley, CA 94720-3548

Ph 510 643-0452