Quantcast

[Micronet] Anybody Switch From ATT DSL to Comcast Xfinity?

[Micronet] Anybody Switch From ATT DSL to Comcast Xfinity?

Jon Forrest
I live up in the hills at the very limit
of DSL connectivity. My ATT DSL speed
has been getting worse, and is now down
to about 800Kb/s. Calling ATT doesn't
really accomplish anything.

I just got a promotional letter from
Comcast offering their Xfinity Internet
service for $19.99/month for 12 months,
and then $34.99 after that with a 1 year
contract.

This is a tempting offer. I wonder if
anybody else has switched from ATT DSL
to Xfinity, and if so, what you think.
The one thing that I'm a little concerned
about is the 250GB/month limit. Since
ATT doesn't have a cap, I have no idea
how much I've been downloading. 250GB
is a lot but we're watching more and
more Netflix stuff online.

Comments?

Cordially,
--
Jon Forrest
Research Computing Support

Re: [Micronet] Anybody Switch From ATT DSL to Comcast Xfinity?

Jay Bryon
I switched my parents to xfinity recently.  It's much faster than DSL,
particularly with marginal phone copper.  The only annoyance I've noted
is some smtp port blocking which I managed to end run around with a
different smtp config.

If it is truly 250GB(Gigabytes) I wouldn't worry too much, if it's
really 250gb (gigabit, sometime also represented as Gb), then some math
might be in order.  Based on some poking around, Netflix streams at
about 2.4Mbps on Comcast, which is about 1 GB/hr, or 8 Gb per hour.
This squares reasonably well with my expectations based on video
manipulation stuff I've done in the past.

Call it about 120+ movies a month, assuming a true 250GB.

http://techblog.netflix.com/2011/01/netflix-performance-on-top-isp-networks.html

-J

--
Jay Bryon
Senior Network Engineer, U.C. Berkeley/IST/IS/Network Operations and Services

"Education would be so much more effective if its purpose were to ensure that by the time they leave school every boy and girl should know how much they don't know, and be imbued with a lifelong desire to know it."
-Sir William Haley,

[Unless stated explicitly otherwise, all opinions are my own and do not represent official policy of any part of IST, U.C. Berkeley or the U.C. Regents.]

Re: [Micronet] Anybody Switch From ATT DSL to Comcast Xfinity?

Curtis Leung
  I currently have Comcast triple package.  I haven't had any problems
with exceeding my monthly data quota.  And this is with surfing the web
and watching She-Ra, The Super Mario Brothers Super Show and other
movies on Netflix.  BTW, the kids watch the first two shows.  I'm in the
"other movies" category.

Curtis

On 3/4/2011 11:56 AM, Jon Forrest wrote:

> I live up in the hills at the very limit
> of DSL connectivity. My ATT DSL speed
> has been getting worse, and is now down
> to about 800Kb/s. Calling ATT doesn't
> really accomplish anything.
>
> I just got a promotional letter from
> Comcast offering their Xfinity Internet
> service for $19.99/month for 12 months,
> and then $34.99 after that with a 1 year
> contract.
>
> This is a tempting offer. I wonder if
> anybody else has switched from ATT DSL
> to Xfinity, and if so, what you think.
> The one thing that I'm a little concerned
> about is the 250GB/month limit. Since
> ATT doesn't have a cap, I have no idea
> how much I've been downloading. 250GB
> is a lot but we're watching more and
> more Netflix stuff online.
>
> Comments?
>
> Cordially,

Re: [Micronet] Anybody Switch From ATT DSL to Comcast Xfinity?

Pretty much echoing what others have said:

We've had Comcast for several years now, and have been generally pleased, both with the speed and with their customer service.

We watch a fair amount of stuff over Netflix and iTunes, and have never had a problem with the 250GB cap.  If you think about it, 250GB means downloading over 8GB a day EVERY day.  Even HD videos from iTunes only work out to about 1.7GB/hour, and I'm sure Netflix streaming is less than that, so I really don't see it as a problem.

Oh, and: Yes, it is gigabytes, not gigabits, per http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQViewer.aspx?Guid=ce29dfac-73d9-4cb4-b433-70abe3b295e6#excessive

Cheers,

Ian

On Mar 4, 2011, at 11:56 AM, Jon Forrest wrote:

> I live up in the hills at the very limit
> of DSL connectivity. My ATT DSL speed
> has been getting worse, and is now down
> to about 800Kb/s. Calling ATT doesn't
> really accomplish anything.
>
> I just got a promotional letter from
> Comcast offering their Xfinity Internet
> service for $19.99/month for 12 months,
> and then $34.99 after that with a 1 year
> contract.
>
> This is a tempting offer. I wonder if
> anybody else has switched from ATT DSL
> to Xfinity, and if so, what you think.
> The one thing that I'm a little concerned
> about is the 250GB/month limit. Since
> ATT doesn't have a cap, I have no idea
> how much I've been downloading. 250GB
> is a lot but we're watching more and
> more Netflix stuff online.
>
> Comments?
>
> Cordially,
> --
> Jon Forrest
> Research Computing Support
> College of Chemistry
> 173 Tan Hall
> University of California Berkeley
> Berkeley, CA
> 94720-1460
> 510-643-1032

Information Services and Technology-Data Services
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
http://hub.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Anybody Switch From ATT DSL to Comcast Xfinity?

Mike Friedman
On 2011-03-04 11:56, Jon Forrest wrote:
I live up in the hills at the very limit
of DSL connectivity. My ATT DSL speed
has been getting worse, and is now down
to about 800Kb/s. Calling ATT doesn't
really accomplish anything.

Jon,

Given your location, this may not help, but you might want to check into the sonic.net Fusion Broadband service, which costs $40/month for ADSL2 and no charge for the voice service on the line.  It's not available everywhere and the bandwidth is a function of, among other things, your location .  But I just moved from AT&T DSL, which gave me 1.2Mbs download, .8Mbs upload, and I now get 7.2Mbs download and 1.08Mbs upload.  Because I no longer have to pay for the voice service, I save $20/month over what I paid AT&T and get 6 times the download speed.  Also, as part of the service, I get my own web site, ftp site and email address.  Plus, their customer service is excellent;  I've had several email conversations with them and I always feel I'm talking to someone technically knowledgeable and capable of fixing problems on short notice.  Just last night, in fact, I wrote them about some perceived inconsistencies in service and today they fine-tuned my connectivity configuration from their end to give me a small increase in bandwidth.

Unfortunately, you're probably out of range of their service.  But if  you go to http://sonic.net/solutions/home/internet/fusion/ you can click a button that will tell you if the service is available to you and the distance to their nearest access point (based on your current AT&T land line number).

Mike

--
Mike Friedman
[hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] Anybody Switch From ATT DSL to Comcast Xfinity?

Noam Manor

Thanks for the tip, Mike.

What’s a reasonable distance from their access point? I am 6,161 feet from their local serving office.

Were you able to take your AT&T number with you when you switched?

Noam

On 2011-03-04 15:36, Noam Manor wrote:

Thanks for the tip, Mike.

What’s a reasonable distance from their access point? I am 6,161 feet from their local serving office.

Were you able to take your AT&T number with you when you switched?

Noam

Noam,

I believe that's the same distance as mine.  Which probably just means we both have the same AT&T Central Office (the one on Bancroft, between Shattuck and Oxford).

As for the phone number:  when you sign up online, you're asked for your current AT&T land line number that is (presumably) supporting both voice and AT&T DSL.  You declare that you agree to have the line moved from AT&T to Sonic and this includes the phone number.  The end result is that you have the same phone number, supporting both voice and Sonic broadband, but you now pay only for the latter.

Mike

--
Mike Friedman
[hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] Anybody Switch From ATT DSL to Comcast Xfinity?

Barbara Worthing-Jones
I'm thinking about switching from Direct TV & AT&T DSL to either ATT U-Verse or Comcast Xfinity. Comcast looks the best so far, although a bit more expensive. Our 4-phone copper wires are down to 2 wires from different pairs & don't know how long they will last. I have heard that AT&T will be capping mobile phone data use, but nothing about capping their DSL Barbara Worthing-Jones

Re: [Micronet] Anybody Switch From ATT DSL to Comcast Xfinity?

John Kim
On 03/04/2011 04:12 PM, Mike Friedman wrote:

>  On 2011-03-04 15:36, Noam Manor wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the tip, Mike.
>>
>> What’s a reasonable distance from their access point? I am 6,161 feet
>> from their local serving office.
>>
>> Were you able to take your AT&T number with you when you switched?
>>
>> Noam
>>

> Noam,
>
> I believe that's the same distance as mine.  Which probably just means
> we both have the same AT&T Central Office (the one on Bancroft, between
> Shattuck and Oxford).
>
> As for the phone number:  when you sign up online, you're asked for your
> current AT&T land line number that is (presumably) supporting both voice
> and AT&T DSL.  You declare that you agree to have the line moved from
> AT&T to Sonic and this includes the phone number.  The end result is
> that you have the same phone number, supporting both voice and Sonic
> broadband, but you now pay only for the latter.
>
> Mike

Sonic resells AT&T's DSL line for their DSL service, but for Fusion, they
don't always use AT&T's CO.  So you really should just check with sonic.net
directly.  And if you mention that Mike Friedman sent you, I think he gets
referral credits.

I've been a happy sonic.net customer ever since DirecTV's DSL service closed
down, and now I'm just waiting for them to deploy their Fusion service to
Walnut Creek so I can make the switchover.

Apropos to someone else mentioning the SMTP filtering that Comcast does, it
may or may not be the case of the Fusion service, but sonic.net does
configure your service to automatically block SMTP port by default, but you
can go to their customer control panel and open it if you need to.

--
John Kim
System and Network Security

On 3/4/2011 3:04 PM, Mike Friedman wrote:
> On 2011-03-04 11:56, Jon Forrest wrote:
>> I live up in the hills at the very limit
>> of DSL connectivity. My ATT DSL speed
>> has been getting worse, and is now down
>> to about 800Kb/s. Calling ATT doesn't
>> really accomplish anything.

I did switch from ATT DSL to Comcast Xfinity.
Just for closure, I thought I'd report
on the results of doing this.

As I said, my ATT DSL speed was only about 800Kb/s,
and it was going off and on when the weather
got bad. I ordered the Comcast Xfinity service
that's being promoted for $19.95/month with
a 12-month contract, and then $34.95 after
that. I don't have any other Comcast services.
I had been paying $29/month for DSL which
in retrospect was high, but I had a static
IP address.

I bought my own Motorola SB5101U cable
modem for $45.39. Since Comcast charges $7/month
to rent a cable modem, buying my own modem
will pay for itself in 7 months.

The Comcast installer was a contractor for Comcast
but he was very nice and seemed to know what he
was doing. It only took him about an hour to run the
cable from the pole to my house. The first thing
I did when the connection was ready was to hook
the modem directly up to a PC to get a speed measurement.
I was very happy to see 20Mb/s down and 3.5Mb up!
I then hooked up my router and connected the other
PCs in my house. The only strange thing was that
I had to power off the cable modem whenever I changed
what was connected to it (e.g. changing from the PC
to the router). I still don't know why this was
necessary but everything would work fine after doing it.

I've been playing around with the connection. I've
seen up to 25Mb/s down and 4Mb/s up even when going
through a router. Of course, these speeds are specific
to my neighborhood and YSMV.

Dealing with Comcast went smoothly. Even dealing with
ATT to cancel my DSL service went smoothly. So, as
of now, I'm very happy with Comcast and my new
service.

Cordially,