[Micronet] Authorized vendors who sell flat panel televisions?

[Micronet] Authorized vendors who sell flat panel televisions?

Edgar Ortega

Hello,

I'd like to know if there are any authorized campus vendors which I can/should use when purchasing a flat panel television and the wall mounting solutions?

If anyone also has any suggestions or points for consideration, I'm all ears.

Specs Required:

-  56" Flat Panel

-  Minimum 4 input ports (DVI & VGA a must, HDMI & others are bonus)

-  Viewable from almost any angle

Thank you all ahead of time!

-Edgar Ortega

Re: [Micronet] Authorized vendors who sell flat panel televisions?

Yau-Man Chan
We just purchase 3 60-in LCD Sharp Aquos units from Best Buy For
Business.  Unfortunately the sale rep I dealt with just left the company
so I don't have a personal contact for you. We got all 3 units with
mounting brackets and installation for less than $10,000 total.  Best
Buy's installation service is contracted with the Geek Squad.

The important feature for us is to make sure that the manual switches
for power and input select is on the side (not the top is the top edge)
and there are inputs ports accessible from the side.  With those
switches available, we don't have to leave the remote around to be lost.
You don't have to worry about ports - they all come with at least 4
HDMI's, one VGA, one RCA-Composite, one RCA Component and one or two
s-video as standard.  They don't come with DVI because DVI is the same
as HDMI except for the physical connector and lack of audio - see below.

We decide on LCD rather than plasma because of glare concern.  Plasmas
are cheaper nowadays as they are less popular and less Green.  But you
can on longer get LCD's bigger than 60 inch (Sharp had a 65 inch LCD but
they discontinued it last year.)

btw, you can get a DVI to HDMI cable quite easily and for newer
computers (especially Mac) I recommend using DVI.  DVI and HDMI have the
same digital video signals that's why you can get a cable with DVI on
one end and HDMI on the other ($19 from FRY's) BUT DVI do not have audio
whereas HDMI standard includes digital audio - so the flat panel TV must
have an analog audio input (both RCA and 1/8" or 3.5mm stereo jack)
accessible.   The MacBook mini-displayport is DVI compatible - I
understand the newer models include audio - if so it will totally be
HDMI compatible.

Our units were just installed in our Chemistry Library seminar rooms -
if you want to take a look at the mounting and the performance drop me a
line and I'll be happy to do a show and tell!

Yau-Man

On 5/27/2010 10:36 AM, Edgar Ortega wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to know if there are any authorized campus vendors which I
> can/should use when purchasing a flat panel television and the wall
> mounting solutions?
>
> If anyone also has any suggestions or points for consideration, I'm
> all ears.
>
> Specs Required:
>
> -  56" Flat Panel
>
> -  Minimum 4 input ports (DVI & VGA a must, HDMI & others are bonus)
>
> -  Viewable from almost any angle
>
> Thank you all ahead of time!
>
> -Edgar Ortega

Yau-Man Chan
Chief Technology Officer
College of Chemistry
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1460

Office: 510-643-1034
FAX: 510-643-6178
chemistry.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Authorized vendors who sell flat panel televisions?

Greg Merritt

On May 27, 2010, at 11:03 AM, Yau-Man Chan wrote:

> DVI and HDMI have the
> same digital video signals that's why you can get a cable with DVI on
> one end and HDMI on the other ($19 from FRY's)

monoprice.com slays pretty much everybody else when it comes to cable
pricing:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10231

Looks like Fry's charges about three or four times too much. ;)