[Micronet] Auto logoff

Alex Warren

Hey Micronet!

Does anyone have a solid auto logoff solution for computers that have no mouse/kb input for a set amount of time?

Alex Warren

CED IIT

University of California, Berkeley

490 Wurster Hall

Re: [Micronet] Auto logoff

Lawrence Huntley SWEET
If you need a Win32 utility to do this, I wrote one that you can set a custom logoff timer on (upon continuous 0 mouse/keyboard activity for selected time interval).

It is solid, if no gpo/local reg related policies conflict with it.

Lawrence Sweet
AP IV .-|-. SAIT
510 -612-6180
ut animam tuam, et cerebrum manere flexibile aperimus

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Alexander Warren <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey Micronet!

Does anyone have a solid auto logoff solution for computers that have no mouse/kb input for a set amount of time?

Alex Warren

CED IIT

University of California, Berkeley

490 Wurster Hall

Re: [Micronet] Auto logoff

Keenan Parmelee
Hi Alex,

I wrote a VBS that I set to run at startup which will look for a screen saver
process (*.scr) and log off by running shutdown /l /f.  From there, you just
define the screen saver to turn on after the period of time you desire, and it
does the trick.  To make it extra secure, you can enter the screen saver timeout
and VBS startup via group policy so that users can't modify it themselves.

It's a bit of a hacky solution and I'm by no means a VBS expert, but I wanted
something quick, dirty, and free for some of our more public-facing systems.

You can also look at using a scheduled task to run on an interval and only when
idle.  But if you're looking for a specific (and short) interval, that doesn't
work too well.

--
Keenan Parmelee
Technical Services Manager

On 11:46 Wed 18 Jun     , Alexander Warren wrote:

> Hey Micronet!
>

> Does anyone have a solid auto logoff solution for computers that have no
> mouse/kb input for a set amount of time?
>

> Alex Warren
>
> CED IIT
>
> University of California, Berkeley
>
> 490 Wurster Hall
>
> Berkeley, CA 94720
>
> (510) 295-5714

Re: [Micronet] Auto logoff

For Windows:
Screensaver Operations (www.grimmadmin.com) is fairly flexible, with a
count-down timer option. The usual gotchas apply to using screensaver
based forced logoff is that the display blanking must be set to longer
than the logoff timer, and machine hibernation has to be disabled.

Graham