[Micronet] Basic questions about bCal migration

[Micronet] Basic questions about bCal migration

Kevin Chan
Hi Micronet,

I know that we are suppose to be directing bCal questions to
"[hidden email]". Unfortunately, I have posed several inquiries
(starting June 5th), but I have had no luck in getting anything but an
automated answer from Footprints (these started on June 26).

I am not sure what is happening to my inquiries, but we are only 2 weeks
from the migration date (July 20 - 23); therefore, I am posting in
Micronet in the hopes that someone on here knows the answer or can
direct me to the right person to answer the following questions:

1a. How will administration of Calendar Resources (like meeting rooms)
work? For the most part, I am interested in how departmental
administrators will be able to control departmental resource and user
accounts.
1b. Can someone confirm that CalAgenda Resources will get migrated to
bCal? Although I have heard in person (at CUTAT and other forums) that
this will happen, the recent bCal announcements does not explicitly say
that resources will be migrated (only info on how to ensure individual
agenda/resource items get migrated).

2a. Will users have a chance to change their CalNet friendly ID before
the transition date of July 23? Many users have funny names (some were
created while they were students) and would really like to change them
before CalNet IDs become the de facto identifier for bMail/bCal/GA4E.
2b. If not, will users be able to change their CalNet friendly ID at a
later date?

I have also looked through as much online info as possible, but these
and other questions (new account creation, student worker accounts,
etc.) are not fully answered. I have a feeling others are experiencing
the same thing, so hopefully the Micronet community can serve to bridge
this information gap.

   Kevin Chan

   Operations Team
   Educational Technology Services
   UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Basic questions about bCal migration

Karl R. Grose
Hi Kevin,

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Kevin Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2b. If not, will users be able to change their CalNet friendly ID at a
> later date?

I'm fairly certain that this will always be true if the person is
persistent enough. It can have some adverse side effects with various
applications out there, but those can be addressed over time.

--Karl

Karl Grose
CalNetOps

Re: [Micronet] Basic questions about bCal migration

tedcrum
I also posed a set of reasonable questions, first to Sian, who later
sent them on to psproject. Nothing was ever heard.

These were question my manager wanted answers to. I had been
attending cuttat (or whatever) meetings and I was on all the mailing
lists. Then my manager (but not I) got the happy "bcal is coming"
memo. Embarrassing.

I had pretty much begged for a forum like micronet where we could ask
questions, and get answers either from the principals, or from their
intimates who have been briefed.

Nothing.

There is a lot that can go wrong with a big migration, especially
involving email. Remember Socrates? And all those things that go
wrong will be fixed buy the people in the field, who have been
completely left in the dark. A stale KB with a failed search and
unofficial, competing per resources are not a sub for someone who
answers questions.

What does a "change manager" do, anyway?

-tc

At 04:40 PM 7/9/2012, you wrote:

>Hi Micronet,
>
>I know that we are suppose to be directing bCal questions to
>"[hidden email]". Unfortunately, I have posed several inquiries
>(starting June 5th), but I have had no luck in getting anything but an
>automated answer from Footprints (these started on June 26).
>
>I am not sure what is happening to my inquiries, but we are only 2 weeks
>from the migration date (July 20 - 23); therefore, I am posting in
>Micronet in the hopes that someone on here knows the answer or can
>direct me to the right person to answer the following questions:
>
>1a. How will administration of Calendar Resources (like meeting rooms)
>work? For the most part, I am interested in how departmental
>administrators will be able to control departmental resource and user
>accounts.
>1b. Can someone confirm that CalAgenda Resources will get migrated to
>bCal? Although I have heard in person (at CUTAT and other forums) that
>this will happen, the recent bCal announcements does not explicitly say
>that resources will be migrated (only info on how to ensure individual
>agenda/resource items get migrated).
>
>2a. Will users have a chance to change their CalNet friendly ID before
>the transition date of July 23? Many users have funny names (some were
>created while they were students) and would really like to change them
>before CalNet IDs become the de facto identifier for bMail/bCal/GA4E.
>2b. If not, will users be able to change their CalNet friendly ID at a
>later date?
>
>I have also looked through as much online info as possible, but these
>and other questions (new account creation, student worker accounts,
>etc.) are not fully answered. I have a feeling others are experiencing
>the same thing, so hopefully the Micronet community can serve to bridge
>this information gap.
>
>Thanks,
>
>--
>    Kevin Chan
>
>    Operations Team
>    Educational Technology Services
>    UC Berkeley

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Basic questions about bCal migration

Inez Bailey

Greetings all,

Thanks for your message Kevin. Not sure where your inquiry is in the Footprints queue but  given the number of tickets that we are responding to I can imagine that your wait may have been a little long. We're sorry about that but I am happy to answer your questions here.

1a. How will administration of Calendar Resources (like meeting rooms) work? For the most part, I am interested in how departmental administrators will be able to control departmental resource and user accounts.

Calendar resources will migrate into bCal and permissions will continue as they did in CalAgenda. At the beginning, resources will be centrally managed and a ticket will need to be initiated for new resources or changes to resources or their provisions. Similar to the way that CalAgenda is currently managed. We will however gradually de-centralize control of resources.

1b. Can someone confirm that CalAgenda Resources will get migrated to bCal? Although I have heard in person (at CUTAT and other forums) that this will happen, the recent bCal announcements does not explicitly say that resources will be migrated (only info on how to ensure individual agenda/resource items get migrated).

Yes! Resources will migrate. They will be renamed slightly to take advantage of Google's nesting feature and also to conform to Google's 35-character resource name limit. We have also discovered many resources have been unused, and these will be disabled and not migrated. A list of resources and their new names (or disabled status) will be posted on the PS website. You will be able to see and assign all of your resources following the migration.

2a. Will users have a chance to change their CalNet friendly ID before the transition date of July 23? Many users have funny names (some were
created while they were students) and would really like to change them before CalNet IDs become the de facto identifier for bMail/bCal/GA4E.

You will not need to change your CalNet ID before the transition. Your google address will be the same as your CalMail @berkeley.edu address, so there is no need to change your CalNet ID.

2b. If not, will users be able to change their CalNet friendly ID at a later date?

            CalNet ID policies and procedures remain unchanged.

With regard to new accounts for staff and faculty, as well as students, calendars for those who are not currently on CalAgenda will be provisioned along with new accounts in Google Apps for Berkeley as a part of the migration beginning in the fall.

Hopefully this answers all your questions but am sure that there will be others. I supoose it comes as no surprise that the Footprints queue experiencing a very high volume. Just glad that we were able to catch you - and others - on Micronet!

Important to add that over the next 2 weeks, the PS Project Team will host a Q&A...

@ BPAWG on Friday, July 13th  10:30-12:00 in 60 Barrows Hall

@ CUTAT on Wed, July 18th 1:30-3pm 60 Barrows Hall

@BSA on Thurs, July 19  12-1:15 in 60 Barrows Hall

Other events will be added to this schedule post migration!

Best,

Inez Bailey

PS Project Team

[...]

Inez S. Bailey
Change Management Consultant
Productivity Suite Project

Re: [Micronet] Basic questions about bCal migration

Inez Bailey
Hi Ted, and all....

A forum is a good idea - either in person or online. Regardless, you can be certain that before the email migration begins you, and your department, will have an opportunity to ask questions AND share your suggestions... which is in short what a Change Manager does. My role on the project team is to help the end-users get ready for change. No doubt, some assignments are easier than others and certainly this is one of the large ones. But the objective is the same: listen and respond - determine how can we do it better?  In fact the CUTAT meetings which you have attended were, in part, the result of a shaky role out of the Adobe software tools. The decision was to engage departmental IT on a regular basis to share in the planning and act as an advisory group to the PS project team and other IST efforts. So CUTAT was born and I think that the Microsoft roll out was much smoother becasue of your input.

We have made every effort to employ the same communication channels with the calendar migration which is why I have been in every CUTAT meeting to answer every question that we had answers to. We will continue to that every month!

I hope that you will be able to attend one of the Q&A sessions that we will hold over the next 2 weeks.

Friday, July 13 @ BPAWG Session 10:30-12:00 in 60 Barrows Hall

Wed, July 18th @ CUTAT Monthly Meeting 1:30-3pm 60 Barrows Hall

Thursday, July 19 @BSA 12-1:15 in 60 Barrows Hall

Best,
Inez

At 04:40 PM 7/9/2012, you wrote:
>Hi Micronet,
>
>I know that we are suppose to be directing bCal questions to
>"[hidden email]". Unfortunately, I have posed several inquiries
>(starting June 5th), but I have had no luck in getting anything but an
>automated answer from Footprints (these started on June 26).
>
>I am not sure what is happening to my inquiries, but we are only 2 weeks
>from the migration date (July 20 - 23); therefore, I am posting in
>Micronet in the hopes that someone on here knows the answer or can
>direct me to the right person to answer the following questions:
>
>1a. How will administration of Calendar Resources (like meeting rooms)
>work? For the most part, I am interested in how departmental
>administrators will be able to control departmental resource and user
>accounts.
>1b. Can someone confirm that CalAgenda Resources will get migrated to
>bCal? Although I have heard in person (at CUTAT and other forums) that
>this will happen, the recent bCal announcements does not explicitly say
>that resources will be migrated (only info on how to ensure individual
>agenda/resource items get migrated).
>
>2a. Will users have a chance to change their CalNet friendly ID before
>the transition date of July 23? Many users have funny names (some were
>created while they were students) and would really like to change them
>before CalNet IDs become the de facto identifier for bMail/bCal/GA4E.
>2b. If not, will users be able to change their CalNet friendly ID at a
>later date?
>
>I have also looked through as much online info as possible, but these
>and other questions (new account creation, student worker accounts,
>etc.) are not fully answered. I have a feeling others are experiencing
>the same thing, so hopefully the Micronet community can serve to bridge
>this information gap.
>
>Thanks,
>
>--
>    Kevin Chan
>
>    Operations Team
>    Educational Technology Services
>    UC Berkeley

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>known you in the past.

Inez S. Bailey
Change Management Consultant
Productivity Suite Project

Re: [Micronet] Basic questions about bCal migration

Beth Muramoto
Thank you to Kevin for asking the same questions I had and posting them here, thanks to Inez for answering them and outlining how the transition will evolve. I'll be at the CUTAT meeting to get more details as well.

Beth

On Jul 9, 2012, at 6:05 PM, Inez Bailey wrote:

[...]

Computer Resource Specialist
Graduate School of Education
University of California, Berkeley
1650 Tolman Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720
Email:  [hidden email]
Phone:  (510) 643-0203
Fax:  (510) 643-6239

The Formula for Success:  Underpromise, overdeliver.
- Tom Peters

You have to decide what your highest priorities are and have the courage to say 'no' to other things."

-Stephen Covey

I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

-Thomas Jefferson

Re: [Micronet] Basic questions about bCal migration

Beth Muramoto
Inez,

If there is a way to be a beta tester or an early adopter for the meeting rooms calendar especially when de-centralization occurs, but would be willing to do the centralized until then? We have a very old database application that went out of business years ago that we still use to make reservations for our classrooms so we're anxious to move on and leave that behind so we'd be willing to beta test or early adopt such a calendaring system.

If there is a list, put us on it! Hee!

Beth

On Jul 10, 2012, at 8:37 AM, Beth Muramoto wrote:

[...]

Jonathan Felder-2

We've been told that our @berkeley.edu addresses were becoming our
calnetid @berkeley.edu.  Is this not true?

--
Jon

On 7/9/12 6:05 PM, Inez Bailey wrote:

> [...]
>         Educational Technology Services
>         UC Berkeley

>     meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>     http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>     Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>     world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>     on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>     others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>     known you in the past.
>

> --
> Inez S. Bailey
> Change Management Consultant
> CalTime Timekeeping Project
> <http://hrweb.berkeley.edu/strategic-initiatives/caltime>
> Productivity Suite Project
> <http://technology.berkeley.edu/productivity-suite/index.html>
> University of California, Berkeley
> Berkeley, CA 94720

Re: [Micronet] Basic questions about bCal migration

Joyce Martin

Hi Inez

1. Will the Q&A events be streamed (please say yes!)?

@ BPAWG on Friday, July 13th  10:30-12:00 in 60 Barrows Hall

@ CUTAT on Wed, July 18th 1:30-3pm 60 Barrows Hall

@BSA on Thurs, July 19  12-1:15 in 60 Barrows Hall

2. Is there an online demo we can have access to?

Joyce Martin

Business Analyst

Facilities Services Information Technology

2000 Carleton

Berkeley, CA  94720-1380

(510) 643-1485

fax (510) 642-7271

FSITSupport Website:

https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/default.aspx

Universal Desktop User Info – Prep Info, How To’s, Discussion Board

https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/UnivDT/SitePages/Home.aspx

Re: [Micronet] Basic questions about bCal migration

Inez Bailey
Joyce.
The answer is yes. The BPAWG session this Friday will be streamed and
archived on the IDMG website
(http://idmg.berkeley.edu/summerSeries.html).

BSA will be streamed as well although I don't have details.

Are you looking for an online demo of the Google calendar or the
presentation that I'll be giving?  I will post the slide deck on our
website after the talk. If you are looking for a bCal Demo for your
department then you can request one by emailing the
[hidden email]. We have scheduled quite a few to take place
over the next 3 weeks.

Inez

--
Inez S. Bailey
Change Management Consultant
CalTime Timekeeping
Project<http://hrweb.berkeley.edu/strategic-initiatives/caltime>
Productivity Suite
Project<http://technology.berkeley.edu/productivity-suite/index.html>

Re: [Micronet] Basic questions about bCal migration

Jonathan Felder-2
Any word on this?

On 7/10/12 10:17 AM, Jonathan Felder wrote:

> [...]
>>          Educational Technology Services
>>          UC Berkeley

>>      meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>>      http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>>      Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>>      world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>>      on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>>      others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>>      known you in the past.
>>

>> --
>> Inez S. Bailey
>> Change Management Consultant
>> CalTime Timekeeping Project
>> <http://hrweb.berkeley.edu/strategic-initiatives/caltime>
>> Productivity Suite Project
>> <http://technology.berkeley.edu/productivity-suite/index.html>
>> University of California, Berkeley
>> Berkeley, CA 94720

Re: [Micronet] Basic questions about bCal migration

Hi Jon. As the project planning has evolved it has been decided that users will not have to synchronize their Calnet ID to match their email address to log into Google. Which means that you do not need to change your Calnet ID or Calmail address.
- Inez

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Jonathan Felder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>      I have also looked through as much online info as possible, but these
>>      and other questions (new account creation, student worker accounts,
>>      etc.) are not fully answered. I have a feeling others are experiencing
>>      the same thing, so hopefully the Micronet community can serve to bridge
>>      this information gap.
>>
>>      Thanks,
>>
>>      --
>>          Kevin Chan
>>
>>          Operations Team
>>          Educational Technology Services
>>          UC Berkeley

>>      meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>>      http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>>      Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>>      world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>>      on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>>      others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have

Inez S. Bailey
Change Manager
Productivity Suite Project

Re: [Micronet] Basic questions about bCal migration

Kevin Chan-2
Hi Inez,

Thanks for providing answers via Micronet (and also getting to my questions via the [hidden email] email).

As Jon mentioned, the use of the @berkeley.edu address as the Google address (and I presume this will also be the identifier for other users/apps to find you from within and outside of the GA4E suite) brings up a few more questions.

1. Will users be REQUIRED to have an @berkeley.edu address to ensure the successful migration of their bCal? Will there be ANY adverse effects for a user that does not have an @berkeley.edu address? [These are primarily users with only a subdomain email address like @media.berkeley.edu.]
2. Even though it is less likely for a user to want to change their 'username'@berkeley.edu (versus CalNet ID), there are still quite a few users that will want to change their 'username'@berkeley.edu before this becomes their official identifier in GA4E.

For example, if my main email account is '[hidden email]', with an alias of '[hidden email]', I would really want to change my account name before people search and see my 'greatestucbperson' address and think I am a conceited person.

Kevin

On 7/11/12 1:45 PM, Inez Bailey wrote:
> [...]

>>      I have also looked through as much online info as possible, but these
>>      and other questions (new account creation, student worker accounts,
>>      etc.) are not fully answered. I have a feeling others are experiencing
>>      the same thing, so hopefully the Micronet community can serve to bridge
>>      this information gap.
>>
>>      Thanks,
>>
>>      --
>>          Kevin Chan
>>
>>          Operations Team
>>          Educational Technology Services
>>          UC Berkeley

>>      meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>>      http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>>      Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>>      world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>>      on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>>      others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have

Inez S. Bailey
Change Manager
Productivity Suite Project

Re: [Micronet] Basic questions about bCal migration

Kevin Chan-2
Hi Inez and Micronet,

Sorry I was unable to attend BPAWG, so these questions may have been answered, but I am still trying to get an answer regarding:

* are users REQUIRED to have an @berkeley.edu address to ensure a successful bCal migration?

Also, I noticed via a note in CalAgenda and the last communication (on 7/11) that CalAgenda will be offline starting next Thursday, July 19th. However, on both the productivity suite site (http://technology.berkeley.edu/productivity-suite/google/index.html) and a previous communication (July 5), it is stated that CalAgenda will be offline start at 5pm on July 20th:

"5:00 pm, July 20, 2012 – 8:00 am, July 23, 2012: Access to CalAgenda unavailable. Please plan accordingly." (this is from the web site)

Can someone confirm the date and time CalAgenda will be offline? If it has indeed changed from 5pm on July 20th, can the PS Project Team please broadcast a new notice to users to confirm that this date has changed?

We are now one week from our calendering system from going offline/migrated, I would very much like to give our staff some heads up. However, having no answers to basic questions (like does a user need to create an @berkeley.edu email address for the bCal migration) and sudden changes in the timeline (like the date/time CalAgenda is going offline) makes me very hesitant to broadcast any message for fear that the broadcasted information is incomplete or a correction email may be necessary after a change.

Therefore, I would very much appreciate clarification on the above points as well as a heads up should other major changes come up so that we can properly communicate them to our staff.

On 7/11/12 4:36 PM, Kevin Chan wrote:
> [...]

>>      I have also looked through as much online info as possible, but these
>>      and other questions (new account creation, student worker accounts,
>>      etc.) are not fully answered. I have a feeling others are experiencing
>>      the same thing, so hopefully the Micronet community can serve to bridge
>>      this information gap.
>>
>>      Thanks,
>>
>>      --
>>          Kevin Chan
>>
>>          Operations Team
>>          Educational Technology Services
>>          UC Berkeley

>>      meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>>      http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>>      Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>>      world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>>      on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>>      others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have

Inez S. Bailey
Change Manager
Productivity Suite Project

Re: [Micronet] Basic questions about bCal migration

Bernie Rossi
HI Kevin,

To answer your questions:

1.  Yes, all users are required to have an @berkeley.edu address for bCal.  For the users on CalAgenda who have subdomain accounts, we contacted them and told them this information.  If they did not have an @berkeley.edu account at that time, we created one for them.  All users who are migrating from CalAgenda to bCal now have @berkeley.edu accounts.

2.  As for the July 20th date, I'm not certain where that came from, but I will get it changed.  The System Status page (http://systemstatus.berkeley.edu) is showing the correct information and will be updated over that weekend with any progress.

More communications will be coming out from PS Project in the next few days.

Thanks,

Bernie

On 7/13/12 12:11 PM, Kevin Chan wrote:
> [...]

>>      I have also looked through as much online info as possible, but these
>>      and other questions (new account creation, student worker accounts,
>>      etc.) are not fully answered. I have a feeling others are experiencing
>>      the same thing, so hopefully the Micronet community can serve to bridge
>>      this information gap.
>>
>>      Thanks,
>>
>>      --
>>          Kevin Chan
>>
>>          Operations Team
>>          Educational Technology Services
>>          UC Berkeley

>>      meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>>      http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>>      Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>>      world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>>      on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>>      others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have

Inez S. Bailey
Change Manager
Productivity Suite Project

Re: [Micronet] Basic questions about bCal migration

Donna L Lee

The System Status page currently shows Thursday, July 19th starting at 5:00PM as the start of the cutoff time.

Scheduled Outage CalAgenda and NotifyLink

Posted by IST Service Center ~jg
On 7/11/2012 at 4:42 pm PST
Modified on 7/12/2012 at 8:54 am PST
Modified by parkerm
Posted in Scheduled Outage

Outage Type: SCHEDULED OUTAGE
Date Submitted: Thursday, July 19, 2012 – Monday, July 23, 2012
Outage Start/End Time: 17000800
Groups Impacted: CalAgenda and NotifyLink users
Equipment: calagenda.berkeley.edu

CalAgenda will be unavailable starting at 5:00PM on Thursday with migration running through until Monday, July 23rd at 8:00AM.  At that time, all CalAgenda users will be able to access their new calendars by going to http://bcal.berkeley.edu.  IST staff will post updates on the migration during the weekend.

NotifyLink will also be unavailable starting at 5:00PM on Thursday and will be retired once the migration has been completed.  For information on how to configure iPhones and Androids to the new bCal service, please see the following Knowledge Base articles:

iPhones: https://kb.berkeley.edu/jivekb/entry.jspa?categoryID=106&externalID=3032

Androids: https://kb.berkeley.edu/jivekb/entry.jspa?categoryID=106&externalID=3031

CMR: 1599

> [...]

>>      I have also looked through as much online info as possible, but these
>>      and other questions (new account creation, student worker accounts,
>>      etc.) are not fully answered. I have a feeling others are experiencing
>>      the same thing, so hopefully the Micronet community can serve to bridge
>>      this information gap.
>>
>>      Thanks,
>>
>>      --
>>          Kevin Chan
>>
>>          Operations Team
>>          Educational Technology Services
>>          UC Berkeley

>>      meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>>      http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>>      Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>>      world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>>      on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>>      others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have

Inez S. Bailey

Change Manager

Productivity Suite Project

Re: [Micronet] Basic questions about bCal migration

Kevin Chan
Hi Bernie,

Thanks for answering the questions.

Please do clarify the down time date for the CalAgenda -> bCal migration as I am sure other users may not be expecting CalAgenda to be unavailable starting on July 19th, 5pm. All users will have to plan to spend Friday, July 20th without the user of any calendaring system (i.e, export/print their calendar in preparation for this outage).

On 7/13/12 4:20 PM, Bernie Rossi wrote:
> [...]

>>      I have also looked through as much online info as possible, but these
>>      and other questions (new account creation, student worker accounts,
>>      etc.) are not fully answered. I have a feeling others are experiencing
>>      the same thing, so hopefully the Micronet community can serve to bridge
>>      this information gap.
>>
>>      Thanks,
>>
>>      --
>>          Kevin Chan
>>
>>          Operations Team
>>          Educational Technology Services
>>          UC Berkeley

>>      meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>>      http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>>      Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>>      world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>>      on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>>      others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have

Inez S. Bailey
Change Manager
Productivity Suite Project

Re: [Micronet] Basic questions about bCal migration

Lars Rohrbach
On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Inez Bailey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2a. Will users have a chance to change their CalNet friendly ID before the
> transition date of July 23? Many users have funny names (some were
> created while they were students) and would really like to change them
> before CalNet IDs become the de facto identifier for bMail/bCal/GA4E.
>
> You will not need to change your CalNet ID before the transition. Your
> google address will be the same as your CalMail @berkeley.edu address, so
> there is no need to change your CalNet ID.

With regard to this item, we have some users (okay, at least one user
I can point at) who may *prefer* to change their CalNet friendly ID.
Currently, they use CalAgenda with a respectable departmental address
such as [hidden email] (a CalMail domain account), whereas
bCal recognizes them using an address like [hidden email].

Since they will now be advertised in bCal with a non-preferred
address, might it be possible to get a CalNet friendly ID changed in
some cases?
Or is there some other way of associating their bCal account with a
different displayed email address?

Lars

--
Lars Rohrbach
Computer User Support Group

On 7/18/2012 4:41 PM, Lars Rohrbach wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Inez Bailey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> 2a. Will users have a chance to change their CalNet friendly ID before the
>> transition date of July 23? Many users have funny names (some were
>> created while they were students) and would really like to change them
>> before CalNet IDs become the de facto identifier for bMail/bCal/GA4E.
>>
>> You will not need to change your CalNet ID before the transition. Your
>> google address will be the same as your CalMail @berkeley.edu address, so
>> there is no need to change your CalNet ID.
>
> With regard to this item, we have some users (okay, at least one user
> I can point at) who may *prefer* to change their CalNet friendly ID.
> Currently, they use CalAgenda with a respectable departmental address
> such as [hidden email] (a CalMail domain account), whereas
> bCal recognizes them using an address like [hidden email].
>
> Since they will now be advertised in bCal with a non-preferred
> address, might it be possible to get a CalNet friendly ID changed in
> some cases?
> Or is there some other way of associating their bCal account with a
> different displayed email address?
>
> Lars

A colleague pointed out to me that it's not the CalNet friendly ID that
needs changing after all.  So that's good.
bCal uses one's primary CalMail account name, whereas we may prefer to
use some alternate address (CalMail alias, CalMail domain account,
whatever).

So the question is still whether there is some way to change what
address bCal currently displays?