[Micronet] Business office application compatibility list

[Micronet] Business office application compatibility list

Bruce Satow
  Can anyone tell me if there is a baseline of what Microsoft
applications are compatible with UC business applications?

e.g.  issues regarding IE8 and to access BAIRS,  BFS, other personnel,
accounting, etc.?

Thanks,
Bruce Satow

Re: [Micronet] Business office application compatibility list

Patrick Ellis
Hi Bruce,

BAIRS now works with IE8, and in fact
works best now with IE7 & IE8.  It only works ok now with Firefox, and only through version 3.5.9.  Firefox 3.5.x falls out of support on August 31st.

We therefore recommend that Windows users use IE7 or IE8 for BAIRS.

For Mac users it's more difficult, because the only option for direct browser access from Mac OS to BAIRS is Firefox 3.5.9 or earlier.  So Mac users should either use the Remote Desktop service, or use Firefox 3.5.9 exclusively for BAIRS and use another browser for all other web access.

The following list of compatible browsers for BFS was posted to Micronet in July, and because BFS and HCM are now running on the same toolset it also applies to HCM.

Platform

Recommended Browsers

Mac OS X 9

Firefox 3.0

Mac OS X 10.4

Firefox 3.0, 3.5, 3.6
Safari 2.0.4, 3.0, 4

Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6

Firefox 3.5
Safari 4

Windows XP, Vista, 2003

Internet Explorer 7, 8
Firefox 3.0, 3.5

Windows 2008

Internet Explorer 7
Firefox 3.0, 3.5, 3.6

Windows 7

Internet Explorer 7, 8
Firefox 3.5, 3.6

Cheers,
Patrick

On 8/24/2010 2:53 PM, Bruce Satow wrote:
  Can anyone tell me if there is a baseline of what Microsoft
applications are compatible with UC business applications?

e.g.  issues regarding IE8 and to access BAIRS,  BFS, other personnel,
accounting, etc.?

Thanks,
Bruce Satow

Re: [Micronet] Business office application compatibility list

Greg Merritt

On Aug 26, 2010, at 9:04 AM, Patrick Ellis wrote:

> For Mac users it's more difficult, because the only option for
> direct browser access from Mac OS to BAIRS is Firefox 3.5.9 or
> earlier.  So Mac users should either use the Remote Desktop service,
> or use Firefox 3.5.9exclusively for BAIRS and use another browser
> for all other web access.

Patrick,

Thanks for sending this clear and comprehensive list.  It's quite
helpful!  We're super-super glad that the remote desktop option is
available in this context, and it's great that this is being covered.

I suppose the University must have very little sway with these big
corporate vendors upon whom we depend for our infrastructure?  It
would be nice if a requirement for the vendor would be "system must
work with common modern Web browsers."

Since this doesn't seem to be the case, we find ourselves in a
situation where somebody needs to support a remote desktop server and
user accounts centrally, and local IT will need to configure each and
every Mac desktop that's touched by a new by a BAIRS user.  These are
always & forever ongoing micro costs spread all across campus, not
entirely unlike the reduction in custodial services that has everyone
from the Chancellor on down being paid their full pay rate to spend a
few minutes every couple of days to empty their office waste and
recycling.

Of course, in many cases we're simply going to install the soon-to-be-
unsupported Firefox 3.5.9 and tell users to ignore that Mozilla update
prompt, potentially risking the integrity of those machines.  (Hey,
it's a Mac, it won't get hacked, right?)  Well, we've been advised by
BFS support that the BFS UPKs are only good up through Firefox 3.5.9,
so at least all of our BFS Mac users are already downgraded.

Patrick, I imagine you share my general sentiments.  Who wouldn't want
the campus-wide system of reporting -- part of the regular work of
accountants, managers, PIs, and almost everyone on campus who has
responsibility for financial matters -- to work without special
configuration on virtually every new computer out-of-the-box?

I suspect the campus is simply between a rock and a hard place:  a
home-grown system would be astronomically expensive, and a prefab
solution from a vendor is never going to be a 100% perfect fit.
Perhaps, given the choices, the distributed ongoing costs of
supporting remote desktop are a relative pittance.  Until then, let's
hope that the vendor soon provides a fix for this browser
incompatibility!