[Micronet] Buying an Apple laptop

SERGEY SHEVTCHENKO

Hello,

We're trying to buy a new Macbook Air for one of our faculty members, but the online Apple Store does not seem to have a way to create a quote, nor a way to pay with a PO. The laptop in question is too new, so The Scholar's Workstation does not have them yet, and the Apple Store reps said to call the Education Institution Sales department if we want to purchase from them. Is that the only way to buy a new Apple laptop?

Thanks for your help,
Social Welfare Computing

Attached Message Part (648 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: [Micronet] Buying an Apple laptop

Hi Sergey:

It is pretty confusing to create a quote on the Apple store.

Here are the steps:

2) Click on "Education Store" in the left column
3) If you get directed to the UC Berkeley store automatically, click "Change Your School" in the upper-right
4) Click "Higher Education" under the "Purchasing for your institution" heading in the lower-right quadrant of the page that appears
5) Click the blue "Create Quote" button on the left side of the page that appears.

Hope that helps,

Ian
On Jul 25, 2011, at 10:45 AM, SERGEY SHEVTCHENKO wrote:

Hello,

We're trying to buy a new Macbook Air for one of our faculty members, but the online Apple Store does not seem to have a way to create a quote, nor a way to pay with a PO. The laptop in question is too new, so The Scholar's Workstation does not have them yet, and the Apple Store reps said to call the Education Institution Sales department if we want to purchase from them. Is that the only way to buy a new Apple laptop?

Thanks for your help,
Social Welfare Computing

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] Buying an Apple laptop

Kin Jung
Check this link:   http://tsw.berkeley.edu/
From there you can get into the Apple institutional store for Berkeley where you can create a quote.

Kin

On Jul 25, 2011, at 10:49 AM  PDT, Roger Emond wrote:

Hello,

We're trying to buy a new Macbook Air for one of our faculty members, but the online Apple Store does not seem to have a way to create a quote, nor a way to pay with a PO. The laptop in question is too new, so The Scholar's Workstation does not have them yet, and the Apple Store reps said to call the Education Institution Sales department if we want to purchase from them. Is that the only way to buy a new Apple laptop?

Thanks for your help,
Social Welfare Computing

<Attached Message Part.txt>

Re: [Micronet] Buying an Apple laptop

Stacey Templeman

If your department is purchasing through E-Procurement (BearBuy), you can also order through Bear Buy.

Stacey Templeman, Strategic Sourcing

Collaborative Procurement Center of Excellence

Re: [Micronet] Buying an Apple laptop

jon kuroda-2
Ian, I always found it easier and quicker to go to:

        http://www.apple.com/edu/berkeley/inst

This is the link on the TSW site.  That has the new MacBook Air models.

--Jon

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 10:50:31AM -0700, Ian Crew wrote:

> Hi Sergey:
>
> It is pretty confusing to create a quote on the Apple store.
>
> Here are the steps:
>
> 1) Go to http://store.apple.com
> 2) Click on "Education Store" in the left column
> 3) If you get directed to the UC Berkeley store automatically, click "Change Your School" in the upper-right
> 4) Click "Higher Education" under the "Purchasing for your institution" heading in the lower-right quadrant of the page that appears
> 5) Click the blue "Create Quote" button on the left side of the page that appears.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Ian
> On Jul 25, 2011, at 10:45 AM, SERGEY SHEVTCHENKO wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > We're trying to buy a new Macbook Air for one of our faculty members, but the online Apple Store does not seem to have a way to create a quote, nor a way to pay with a PO. The laptop in question is too new, so The Scholar's Workstation does not have them yet, and the Apple Store reps said to call the Education Institution Sales department if we want to purchase from them. Is that the only way to buy a new Apple laptop?
> >

> > Thanks for your help,
> > Social Welfare Computing

> > http://micronet.berkeley.edu
> >
> > Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>
> Ian Crew
> Platform and Services Manager, Research Hub
> Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
> University of California, Berkeley
> 2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
> http://hub.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Buying an Apple laptop

Ian Crew
Cool--I didn't know about that link, so I've always just done the manual method.

(To be honest, I didn't even know the tsw.berkeley.edu site still existed!)

Ian

On Jul 25, 2011, at 12:01 PM, jon kuroda wrote:

> Ian, I always found it easier and quicker to go to:
>
> http://www.apple.com/edu/berkeley/inst
>
> This is the link on the TSW site.  That has the new MacBook Air models.
>
> --Jon
>
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 10:50:31AM -0700, Ian Crew wrote:
>> Hi Sergey:
>>
>> It is pretty confusing to create a quote on the Apple store.
>>
>> Here are the steps:
>>
>> 1) Go to http://store.apple.com
>> 2) Click on "Education Store" in the left column
>> 3) If you get directed to the UC Berkeley store automatically, click "Change Your School" in the upper-right
>> 4) Click "Higher Education" under the "Purchasing for your institution" heading in the lower-right quadrant of the page that appears
>> 5) Click the blue "Create Quote" button on the left side of the page that appears.
>>
>> Hope that helps,
>>
>> Ian
>> On Jul 25, 2011, at 10:45 AM, SERGEY SHEVTCHENKO wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> We're trying to buy a new Macbook Air for one of our faculty members, but the online Apple Store does not seem to have a way to create a quote, nor a way to pay with a PO. The laptop in question is too new, so The Scholar's Workstation does not have them yet, and the Apple Store reps said to call the Education Institution Sales department if we want to purchase from them. Is that the only way to buy a new Apple laptop?
>>>

>>> Thanks for your help,
>>> Social Welfare Computing

>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>>
>> Ian Crew
>> Platform and Services Manager, Research Hub
>> Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
>> University of California, Berkeley
>> 2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
>> http://hub.berkeley.edu

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
http://hub.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Buying an Apple laptop - fastest way

Marilyn Saarni-2
I don't know why one would bother with a PO.  This is typically done with a blucard purchase.  And of course if you have BearBuy, I'm guessing one can do a custom configuration through that link as well.

Apple provides a direct UC Berkeley-specific store for institutional purchases.  I think that's the link provided below.

I've already ordered a customized MacBook Air (on 7/20 when the new model came out).  It has already been shipped, with a normal (no expedite) ETA of Wed this week -- barring customs problems.  Noticed the carrier is fedex; glad to see that Apple dropped UPS (THOSE laptops went to Alaska, then Tennessee, then back to Alaska, before wandering to Nevada, and then finally to California....).

The new ones are certainly gorgeous!

- Marilyn

On Jul 25, 2011, at 12:15 PM, Ian Crew wrote:

> Cool--I didn't know about that link, so I've always just done the manual method.
>
> (To be honest, I didn't even know the tsw.berkeley.edu site still existed!)
>
> Ian
>
> On Jul 25, 2011, at 12:01 PM, jon kuroda wrote:
>
>> Ian, I always found it easier and quicker to go to:
>>
>> http://www.apple.com/edu/berkeley/inst
>>
>> This is the link on the TSW site.  That has the new MacBook Air models.
>>
>> --Jon
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 10:50:31AM -0700, Ian Crew wrote:
>>> Hi Sergey:
>>>
>>> It is pretty confusing to create a quote on the Apple store.
>>>
>>> Here are the steps:
>>>
>>> 1) Go to http://store.apple.com
>>> 2) Click on "Education Store" in the left column
>>> 3) If you get directed to the UC Berkeley store automatically, click "Change Your School" in the upper-right
>>> 4) Click "Higher Education" under the "Purchasing for your institution" heading in the lower-right quadrant of the page that appears
>>> 5) Click the blue "Create Quote" button on the left side of the page that appears.
>>>
>>> Hope that helps,
>>>
>>> Ian

>>> Ian Crew
>>> Platform and Services Manager, Research Hub
>>> Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
>>> University of California, Berkeley
>>> 2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
>>> http://hub.berkeley.edu

>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>>

> Ian Crew
> Platform and Services Manager, Research Hub
> Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
> University of California, Berkeley
> 2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
> http://hub.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Buying an Apple laptop - fastest way

jon kuroda-2
I often order laptops in qty larger than what is typically allowed on
a BluCard and have on occasion ordered single systems over that amount
(including, at one time a laptop that by itself was in excess of what
was allowed on a BluCard) - a PO was necessary at the time.

Of course, there was the debacle at one time in Late 2010 when Apple
was simply refusing to honor POs from Campus for a short while due to
what was described to me as a "Credit Hold"[1], so I had to break up
my orders into small enough chunks to fit onto a BluCard until we got
the limit on our BluCard raised ...

But, leaving pedantic banter aside, I can imagine that Sergey simply
just meant "Via His Typical Campus/Departmental Procurement System_s_"
and may not have meant a Purchase Order in specific.

--Jon

[1] I never did get around to kvetching about that on Micronet.  I'd
heard that Campus was terribly delayed in paying up on invoices from
Apple due to massive delays with BFS upgrades.  I never did find out
just what exactly transpired to resolve any of this, but, apparently
Apple started taking our POs again.

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 07:30:47PM -0700, Marilyn Saarni wrote:

> I don't know why one would bother with a PO.  This is typically done with a blucard purchase.  And of course if you have BearBuy, I'm guessing one can do a custom configuration through that link as well.
>
> Apple provides a direct UC Berkeley-specific store for institutional purchases.  I think that's the link provided below.
>
> I've already ordered a customized MacBook Air (on 7/20 when the new model came out).  It has already been shipped, with a normal (no expedite) ETA of Wed this week -- barring customs problems.  Noticed the carrier is fedex; glad to see that Apple dropped UPS (THOSE laptops went to Alaska, then Tennessee, then back to Alaska, before wandering to Nevada, and then finally to California....).
>
> The new ones are certainly gorgeous!
>
> - Marilyn
>
> On Jul 25, 2011, at 12:15 PM, Ian Crew wrote:
>
> > Cool--I didn't know about that link, so I've always just done the manual method.
> >
> > (To be honest, I didn't even know the tsw.berkeley.edu site still existed!)
> >
> > Ian
> >
> > On Jul 25, 2011, at 12:01 PM, jon kuroda wrote:
> >
> >> Ian, I always found it easier and quicker to go to:
> >>
> >> http://www.apple.com/edu/berkeley/inst
> >>
> >> This is the link on the TSW site.  That has the new MacBook Air models.
> >>
> >> --Jon

> > Ian Crew
> > Platform and Services Manager, Research Hub
> > Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
> > University of California, Berkeley
> > 2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
> > http://hub.berkeley.edu

> > http://micronet.berkeley.edu
> >
> > Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Buying an Apple laptop - fastest way

Greg Merritt
I find that just filling out and sending in the IOC from the TSW site makes for simpler paperwork than a bluCard purchase, although there are a few added days of processing.

-Greg