[Micronet] CalMail IMAP best practices?

Greg Merritt
How do folks best use IMAP for CalMail, particularly with respect to
disk space?  Do you have users live within the 1GB allocation?  If so,
how do you manage deleting, archive, and/or backing up mail to stay
within that?  Do you do wholesale requests of quota increases?  How do
you make it work in your department?

Thanks!

Re: [Micronet] CalMail IMAP best practices?

tedcrum
We find that 2 GB is enough for our heaviest users, such as student
services, and we find that buying a quota upgrade is the best way to
serve those users. IMAP is best when everything is on the server,
particularly with respect to continuity of operation. If our building
fell down we could work from Starbucks. We discourage the use of a
trash folder and we install a 3d party expunge button on Thunderbird.
There is a seasonal mailbox preening.

Ted Crum
Psychology

At 01:33 PM 10/8/2010, you wrote:

>How do folks best use IMAP for CalMail, particularly with respect to
>disk space?  Do you have users live within the 1GB allocation?  If so,
>how do you manage deleting, archive, and/or backing up mail to stay
>within that?  Do you do wholesale requests of quota increases?  How do
>you make it work in your department?
>
>Thanks!
>-Greg

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] CalMail IMAP best practices?

Burke Bundy
Hi Greg,

We upgrade quotas as needed.  It has worked very well for us to simply
email the Calmail team with a COA when a user nears their quota.  The
increase usually takes place within an hour and the price (I think
$6/GB/year) has always seemed very reasonable, at least to me.

Burke

> How do folks best use IMAP for CalMail, particularly with respect to
> disk space?  Do you have users live within the 1GB allocation?  If so,
> how do you manage deleting, archive, and/or backing up mail to stay
> within that?  Do you do wholesale requests of quota increases?  How do
> you make it work in your department?
>
> Thanks!
> -Greg

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] CalMail IMAP best practices?

Michael Green
  Greg,

I wanted to let you know that we don't charge for increased quotas.  We
collect the chart-string in case we have to charge at some point in the
future.  As long as folks only request the storage that they reasonably
need, I doubt that we will ever charge.  You can ask us to increase your
storage quota for CalMail at any time by sending an email to
[hidden email].

Michael

On 10/10/2010 5:38 PM, Burke Bundy wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> We upgrade quotas as needed.  It has worked very well for us to simply
> email the Calmail team with a COA when a user nears their quota.  The
> increase usually takes place within an hour and the price (I think
> $6/GB/year) has always seemed very reasonable, at least to me.
>
> Burke
>

>> How do folks best use IMAP for CalMail, particularly with respect to
>> disk space?  Do you have users live within the 1GB allocation?  If so,
>> how do you manage deleting, archive, and/or backing up mail to stay
>> within that?  Do you do wholesale requests of quota increases?  How do
>> you make it work in your department?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> -Greg

>> visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
>> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] CalMail IMAP best practices?

Bernie Rossi
Hi Everyone,

If you do send a message to consult, please include not only the
chartstring, but also how much more you would like (i.e. increase to
2GiB or more).

Thanks,

Bernie Rossi
Supervisor, CalMail Consulting