[Micronet] CalTime Connection Problems

erol
I tried to connect to CalTime using RDC (running on Mac OS 10.9.2) and it failed saying “Remote Desktop Connection cannot verify the identity of the computer to which you want to connect”.  Multiple attempts received the same response.  RDC has worked fine for me previously.  I tried the web access, and it worked fine.

I just tried connecting again (about and hour later) and received “The server name on the certificate is incorrect”.  I clicked to connect anyway, and RDC crashed.  Upon restarting, it gave the identity verification error again.

So I assume we just recommend using the web access as RDC appears not to be working now.

Erol Kepkep

Re: [Micronet] CalTime Connection Problems

Greg German
I had the same problem yesterday.  I had better luck using the latest version of RDC, which is now called Microsoft Remote Desktop.  You can download it for free in the Mac App Store.  For what it's worth, I just tried it again today and it's still working...

Regards,

Greg German

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 1:13 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I tried to connect to CalTime using RDC (running on Mac OS 10.9.2) and it failed saying “Remote Desktop Connection cannot verify the identity of the computer to which you want to connect”.  Multiple attempts received the same response.  RDC has worked fine for me previously.  I tried the web access, and it worked fine.

I just tried connecting again (about and hour later) and received “The server name on the certificate is incorrect”.  I clicked to connect anyway, and RDC crashed.  Upon restarting, it gave the identity verification error again.

So I assume we just recommend using the web access as RDC appears not to be working now.

Erol Kepkep

Greg German
Systems Administrator
Educational Technology Services

Re: [Micronet] CalTime Connection Problems

Aron Roberts

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Greg German <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I had the same problem yesterday.  I had better luck using the latest
> version of RDC, which is now called Microsoft Remote Desktop.  You can
> download it for free in the Mac App Store.  For what it's worth, I just
> tried it again today and it's still working...

  Thanks, David and Greg!  I'll forward your responses on to CalTime
Support, along with a 'ping' regarding the certificate issue.

  I've also asked the CalTime folks to respond here on Micronet
regarding that certificate issue, and suggested that they post
notifications to IST Service Status (http://ucbsystems.org/ or
http://systemstatus.berkeley.edu) whenever issues like this arise with
CalTime.  I remain hopeful that responses ensue ...

Aron Roberts
IST - Research Information Technologies

> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 1:13 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I tried to connect to CalTime using RDC (running on Mac OS 10.9.2) and it
>> failed saying “Remote Desktop Connection cannot verify the identity of the
>> computer to which you want to connect”.  Multiple attempts received the same
>> response.  RDC has worked fine for me previously.  I tried the web access,
>> and it worked fine.
>>
>> I just tried connecting again (about and hour later) and received “The
>> server name on the certificate is incorrect”.  I clicked to connect anyway,
>> and RDC crashed.  Upon restarting, it gave the identity verification error
>> again.
>>
>> So I assume we just recommend using the web access as RDC appears not to
>> be working now.
>>
>> Erol Kepkep

>> visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
>> these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
>> employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>

> --
> Greg German
> Systems Administrator
> Educational Technology Services
> University of California, Berkeley
> [hidden email]
> 510-847-2148

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
> these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
> employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] CalTime Connection Problems

erol
Aaron,

It would also help if they posted a notice on the CalTime website if there are issues like this or even sent a message out to all CalTime users.

Erol

On Apr 1, 2014, at 1:45 PM, Aron Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
>>> these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
>>> employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>>

>> --
>> Greg German
>> Systems Administrator
>> Educational Technology Services
>> University of California, Berkeley
>> [hidden email]
>> 510-847-2148

>> visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
>> these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
>> employers, and people who have known you in the past.

[Micronet] Campus hosted Wiki sites

Daisuke Nakabayashi
Hi All,

Is there a campus hosted Wiki site that can be created and managed by a department?  I have two analysts who would like a Wiki to manage departmental policy.  We would also like the Wiki to be behind CalNet authentication.

We looked into bSpace but heard that it's going away soon.  Are there any alternatives?

Thanks,
Dai.

________________________________

Daisuke Nakabayashi
Office of Undergraduate Advising
College of Letters & Science, UCB
206 Evans Hall # 2924
Berkeley, CA 94720-2924
(510)643-4018, 642-2372(FAX)
mailto:[hidden email]
http://ls-advise.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Campus hosted Wiki sites

Seth Novogrodsky
Hi Dai,

There's <https://confluence.berkeley.edu/>, which may work for you.

Seth

On 4/1/2014 3:15 PM, Daisuke Nakabayashi wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is there a campus hosted Wiki site that can be created and managed by a department?  I have two analysts who would like a Wiki to manage departmental policy.  We would also like the Wiki to be behind CalNet authentication.
>
> We looked into bSpace but heard that it's going away soon.  Are there any alternatives?
>
> Thanks,
> Dai.
>
> ________________________________
>
> Daisuke Nakabayashi
> Office of Undergraduate Advising
> College of Letters & Science, UCB
> 206 Evans Hall # 2924
> Berkeley, CA 94720-2924
> (510)643-4018, 642-2372(FAX)
> mailto:[hidden email]
> http://ls-advise.berkeley.edu

Seth Novogrodsky
Department of Economics and College of Letters & Science

Re: [Micronet] CalTime Connection Problems

erol
My problem may have been a result of upgrading from Mac OS 10.8.5 to 10.9.2.  Installing Microsoft Remote Desktop has fixed my access to CalTime.  Interesting how the problem would present as an identity verification problem.  The security certificate issue did not come up either.

Another oddity with CalTime is the logoff screen both through MRD and the web access do not recognize my CalNet ID and passphrase to log back into CalTime from there.  I had to start over completely to login again.

I’ve reported this to CalTime and asked them to send our notifications of widespread problems in the future

Upgrading to 10.9.2 also broke Tivoli Storage Manager connecting to the UCBackup server even though I had already been running version 7.1.  Uninstalling and re-installing TSM 7.1 fixed that as well.

Erol

On Apr 1, 2014, at 1:50 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Aaron,
>
> It would also help if they posted a notice on the CalTime website if there are issues like this or even sent a message out to all CalTime users.
>
> Erol
>

> On Apr 1, 2014, at 1:45 PM, Aron Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 1:21 PM, David Austin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Even though the Cal Time web page doesn't link to it there is a new version
>>> of Microsoft Remote Desktop (8.0.5) in the Apple App Store (quite a jump
>>> from version 2.1.1) that did work for me. This version also says the
>>> certificate is invalid, but allows you to continue by acknowledging the
>>> error.
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Greg German <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I had the same problem yesterday.  I had better luck using the latest
>>> version of RDC, which is now called Microsoft Remote Desktop.  You can
>>> download it for free in the Mac App Store.  For what it's worth, I just
>>> tried it again today and it's still working...
>>
>> Thanks, David and Greg!  I'll forward your responses on to CalTime
>> Support, along with a 'ping' regarding the certificate issue.
>>
>> I've also asked the CalTime folks to respond here on Micronet
>> regarding that certificate issue, and suggested that they post
>> notifications to IST Service Status (http://ucbsystems.org/ or
>> http://systemstatus.berkeley.edu) whenever issues like this arise with
>> CalTime.  I remain hopeful that responses ensue ...
>>
>> Aron Roberts
>> IST - Research Information Technologies

>>> --
>>> Greg German
>>> Systems Administrator
>>> Educational Technology Services
>>> University of California, Berkeley
>>> [hidden email]
>>> 510-847-2148

>>> visit the Micronet Web site:
>>>
>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
>>> these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
>>> employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Campus hosted Wiki sites

Richard DeShong-2
If you check on the bConnected page, you'll see a link to [Research Hub]:

and CalShare

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 3:43 PM, Seth Novogrodsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dai,

There's <https://confluence.berkeley.edu/>, which may work for you.

Seth

On 4/1/2014 3:15 PM, Daisuke Nakabayashi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is there a campus hosted Wiki site that can be created and managed by a department?  I have two analysts who would like a Wiki to manage departmental policy.  We would also like the Wiki to be behind CalNet authentication.
>
> We looked into bSpace but heard that it's going away soon.  Are there any alternatives?
>
> Thanks,
> Dai.
>
> ________________________________
>
> Daisuke Nakabayashi
> Office of Undergraduate Advising
> College of Letters & Science, UCB
> 206 Evans Hall # 2924
> Berkeley, CA 94720-2924
> (510)643-4018, 642-2372(FAX)
> mailto:[hidden email]
> http://ls-advise.berkeley.edu

Seth Novogrodsky
Department of Economics and College of Letters & Science

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Campus hosted Wiki sites

Dai:

You might check out the Research Hub (http://hub.berkeley.edu)--just log in with your CalNet ID and passphrase.  From what you describe, it sounds like it might fit your needs well--we already have some departments using the Hub for similar things.  It allows you to create a site, which can contain both wiki pages and files, and invite in the people that you want to have access.

If you have any questions about how this works, please contact us at [hidden email].

Cheers,

Ian

On Apr 1, 2014, at 3:15 PM, Daisuke Nakabayashi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All,

Is there a campus hosted Wiki site that can be created and managed by a department?  I have two analysts who would like a Wiki to manage departmental policy.  We would also like the Wiki to be behind CalNet authentication.

We looked into bSpace but heard that it's going away soon.  Are there any alternatives?

Thanks,
Dai.

________________________________

Daisuke Nakabayashi
Office of Undergraduate Advising
College of Letters & Science, UCB
206 Evans Hall # 2924
Berkeley, CA 94720-2924
(510)643-4018, 642-2372(FAX)
[hidden email]
http://ls-advise.berkeley.edu

___

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] Campus hosted Wiki sites

Daisuke Nakabayashi
Thanks all who answered!

We'll look into CalShare, https://calshare.berkeley.edu/default.aspx, Confluence, https://confluence.berkeley.edu/, and ResearchHub https://hub.berkeley.edu/page/ for our Wiki needs.  (leaning toward ResearchHub...)

Thanks!
Dai.