[Micronet] Caltime rdp related questions and comments

[Micronet] Caltime rdp related questions and comments

mark
It is interesting that Caltime via the rpd file
<http://caltime.berkeley.edu/Caltime.rdp>
by default wants to allow remote access to drives,
clipboard, printers, serial ports, supported plug
and play devices.     I see the utility of accessing
printers and I am able to print from Caltime.

How does one save something from Caltime to
a drive?

When I edit the ascii Caltime.rdp file to disallow
some of the above remote access using some hints from
<http://coe.uncc.edu/mosaic/remote_desk/RDP%20File%20Settings.htm>
what sort of magic do I have to perform on the signature
so that file is not considered corrupt and the publisher
is considered known?

I am not aware of the Linux/UNIX rdesktop remote desktop
protocol client being able to use a .rdp file directly.
What options (eg. "-c" and "-s" and so on) should
one supply when attempting a rdesktop connection from
a Linux/UNIX device to kro62-pts01.ist.1918.berkeley.edu
for Caltime?

Thanks.

[Micronet] Berkeley Home Page Down?

Jon Johnsen
The campus web home page appears to be down.

berkeley.edu  => 503!

Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office
433 University Hall
School of Public Health, UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Berkeley Home Page Down?

Ian Crew-2
As of 8:13, It's up for me, and also according to http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www.berkeley.edu

Ian

On Nov 1, 2012, at 8:12 AM, Jon Johnsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The campus web home page appears to be down.
>
> berkeley.edu  => 503!
>
> Jon Johnsen
> Information Systems Office
> 433 University Hall
> School of Public Health, UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Berkeley Home Page Down?

As of 8:13, It's up for me, and also according to http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www.berkeley.edu

Ian

On Nov 1, 2012, at 8:12 AM, Jon Johnsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

The campus web home page appears to be down.

berkeley.edu  => 503!

Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office
433 University Hall
School of Public Health, UC Berkeley

___

Content Management Technologies
IST-Architecture, Middleware and Common Applications
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] Berkeley Home Page Down?

Vivian Sophia
I clicked on the down for everyone link and it said it is NOT just me.

On 11/1/12 8:15 AM, Ian Crew wrote:
As of 8:13, It's up for me, and also according to http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www.berkeley.edu

Ian

On Nov 1, 2012, at 8:12 AM, Jon Johnsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

The campus web home page appears to be down.

berkeley.edu  => 503!

Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office
433 University Hall
School of Public Health, UC Berkeley

___

Content Management Technologies
IST-Architecture, Middleware and Common Applications
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Vivian Sophia
LSCR desktop support partner

Re: [Micronet] Berkeley Home Page Down?

Jon Johnsen
Still:

Service unavailable!

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Error 503

http://www.berkeley.edu/
wf-web-prod-02
(none)
Thu Nov 01 08:22:24 2012
Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office
433 University Hall
School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
510 643-4357
On 11/1/2012 8:12 AM, Jon Johnsen wrote:
The campus web home page appears to be down.

berkeley.edu  => 503!

Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office
433 University Hall
School of Public Health, UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Berkeley Home Page Down?

Ian Crew-2
Ah:

I see what's going on.

I was on the VPN.  It is still up if you're connected from the VPN, but not otherwise, as far as I can tell.

Don't know why http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www.berkeley.edu was telling me it was up....

If I disconnect from the VPN, I get the same error (from home on Comcast).

Ian

On Nov 1, 2012, at 8:17 AM, Vivian Sophia <[hidden email]> wrote:

I clicked on the down for everyone link and it said it is NOT just me.

On 11/1/12 8:15 AM, Ian Crew wrote:
As of 8:13, It's up for me, and also according to http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www.berkeley.edu

Ian

On Nov 1, 2012, at 8:12 AM, Jon Johnsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

The campus web home page appears to be down.

berkeley.edu  => 503!

Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office
433 University Hall
School of Public Health, UC Berkeley

___

Content Management Technologies
IST-Architecture, Middleware and Common Applications
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Vivian Sophia
LSCR desktop support partner

Re: [Micronet] Berkeley Home Page Down?

Jon Broshious-2
No issue via sonic.net. non VPN and via VPN.
But UCOP home page is getting the error intermittently.

On 11/1/2012 8:31 AM, Debra Goldentyer wrote:
[...]

Jon Broshious
Information Services and Technology
Campus Technology Services

Re: [Micronet] Berkeley Home Page Down?

Lars Rohrbach
Oh Noes! The internets is destabilizing!
Somebody feed the cats!

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Jon Broshious <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Computer User Support Group
EECS, UC Berkeley
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~larsrohr

Re: [Micronet] Berkeley Home Page Down?

Rune Stromsness
On 01-Nov-12 08:25, Ian Crew wrote:

> Ah:
>
> I see what's going on.
>
> I was on the VPN.  It is still up if you're connected from the VPN, but
> not otherwise, as far as I can tell.
>
> Don't know why http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www.berkeley.edu
> was telling me it was up....
>
> If I disconnect from the VPN, I get the same error (from home on Comcast).
There appears to be a problem for one of the four systems behind the
load balancer for IPv4 traffic.

So all IPv6 traffic appears to be getting a good result.  And at least
some of the IPv4 traffic is getting to healthy servers and getting good
results.

I've just called the service desk to help spur them on to calling the
team that runs those systems to investigate.

Rune

> Ian
>
> On Nov 1, 2012, at 8:17 AM, Vivian Sophia <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> I clicked on the down for everyone link and it said it is NOT just me.
>>
>> On 11/1/12 8:15 AM, Ian Crew wrote:
>>> As of 8:13, It's up for me, and also according to
>>> http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Ian

>>> ___
>>> Ian Crew
>>> Platform and Services Manager, Research Hub
>>> http://hub.berkeley.edu <http://hub.berkeley.edu/>
>>>
>>> Content Management Technologies
>>> IST-Architecture, Middleware and Common Applications
>>> Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor
>>> University of California, Berkeley

>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>>
>> --
>> Vivian Sophia
>> LSCR desktop support partner

>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>>  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your
>> bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Berkeley Home Page Down?

Mary Stewart
Same for me. No problem via sonic.net for the ucb home page -- but also no issues with UCOP page.

-Mary

On 11/1/12 8:50 AM, Jon Broshious wrote:
[...]

===============================
Mary P. Stewart (510/643-7731)
[hidden email]
Tech Support Analyst II-System Administrator
Chess/Trust/Ptolemy/Robotics/Hybrid Systems/E3S

Re: [Micronet] Berkeley Home Page Down?

Luke Rockwell
Sonic.net is a ipv6 internet provider which would explain why people with sonic.net are not having issues. I hope the load balancers for ipv4 come back online.

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 8:59 AM, Mary Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Systems and Support Analyst
Information Technology

Cal Alumni Association | UC Berkeley
1 Alumni House, Berkeley, CA 94720
T 510.643.0237
F 510.642.6252

140 Years of Alumni Excellence
Commitment, Support, Passion

_____________________________________

alumni.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Berkeley Home Page Down?

Anthony Roybal
Thanks, Rune. The Service Desk had noticed earlier and has been working with IST service teams to resolve the issue. There is a status page posting that we'll resolve when it's been fixed.

That may be shortly. It was down for me on Comcast and now it's up.

Regards,
Tony

On Nov 1, 2012, at 8:55 AM, Rune Stromsness <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01-Nov-12 08:25, Ian Crew wrote:
>> Ah:
>>
>> I see what's going on.
>>
>> I was on the VPN.  It is still up if you're connected from the VPN, but
>> not otherwise, as far as I can tell.
>>
>> Don't know why http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www.berkeley.edu
>> was telling me it was up....
>>
>> If I disconnect from the VPN, I get the same error (from home on Comcast).
>
> There appears to be a problem for one of the four systems behind the
> load balancer for IPv4 traffic.
>
> So all IPv6 traffic appears to be getting a good result.  And at least
> some of the IPv4 traffic is getting to healthy servers and getting good
> results.
>
> I've just called the service desk to help spur them on to calling the
> team that runs those systems to investigate.
>
> Rune
>
>> Ian
>>
>> On Nov 1, 2012, at 8:17 AM, Vivian Sophia <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>> I clicked on the down for everyone link and it said it is NOT just me.

>>> --
>>> Vivian Sophia
>>> LSCR desktop support partner

>>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>>
>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>>> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>>> This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your
>>> bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Berkeley Home Page Down?

Jay Bryon
The issue is not with the load balancer, it's with a host *behind* the load balancer.  As Rune reported, one of the four servers is down.
-J

On 11/1/12 9:23 AM, Luke Rockwell wrote:
[...]

Facebook | LinkedIn

Jay Bryon
Senior Network Engineer, U.C. Berkeley/IST/IS/Network Operations and Services
[hidden email]
2-5636

"The future is already here. It's just not very evenly distributed"
-William Gibson

"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
-A.A. Milne (Author, "Winnie the Pooh")

"Think think think"
-Winnie the Pooh

[Unless stated explicitly otherwise, all opinions are my own and do not represent official policy of any part of IST, U.C. Berkeley or the U.C. Regents]

Re: [Micronet] Berkeley Home Page Down?

Jon M SKELTON
Good morning,

One of the Apache instances on the web cluster serving http://www.berkeley.edu/ failed this morning and was corrected just before 9:00AM.  We're currently analyzing how best to both avoid and detect this particular failure scenario in the future.

Jon S.

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Jay Bryon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: [Micronet] Caltime rdp related questions and comments

Bill Boyd
I am also interested in the answers to these questions.  Some of our users have Linux systems and could be using e.g. xfreerdp to connect to CalTime.

Cheers,
Bill

On Nov 1, 2012, at 7:58 AM, mark wrote:

> It is interesting that Caltime via the rpd file
> <http://caltime.berkeley.edu/Caltime.rdp>
> by default wants to allow remote access to drives,
> clipboard, printers, serial ports, supported plug
> and play devices.     I see the utility of accessing
> printers and I am able to print from Caltime.
>
> How does one save something from Caltime to
> a drive?
>
> When I edit the ascii Caltime.rdp file to disallow
> some of the above remote access using some hints from
> <http://coe.uncc.edu/mosaic/remote_desk/RDP%20File%20Settings.htm>
> what sort of magic do I have to perform on the signature
> so that file is not considered corrupt and the publisher
> is considered known?
>
> I am not aware of the Linux/UNIX rdesktop remote desktop
> protocol client being able to use a .rdp file directly.
> What options (eg. "-c" and "-s" and so on) should
> one supply when attempting a rdesktop connection from
> a Linux/UNIX device to kro62-pts01.ist.1918.berkeley.edu
> for Caltime?
>
> Thanks.

Bill Boyd
System Administrator UCB Astronomy