[Micronet] Can't download new Itunes or IOS 7

[Micronet] Can't download new Itunes or IOS 7

Mike Friedman
Hi,

Today when I connect my iPhone to ITunes, I'm told that IOS 7 is
available but it requires ITunes 11.1 and it asks if I want to download
it.  I say yes, but nothing happens.  Of course, if I say no, then the
new IOS doesn't get downloaded either.

If, in ITunes, I then select Help->Check for Updates. it tells me 11.1
is available, but when I choose to download it also nothing happens.  Is
anyone else having this problem?  I'm running Windows 7 and ITunes
11.0.5.  Last night, in fact, when I tried to download IOS7, it told me
that 11.0.5 was a prerequisite, but that's what I was already running.
At least now it wants the new 11.1, but I can't get that to download.
What's going on here?

Thanks.

Mike

--
Mike Friedman
[hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] Can't download new Itunes or IOS 7

Guy D. VINSON
You can download and install directly to your idevice> settings>general>software update.

Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
University of California at Berkeley
510-842-7199

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Mike Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Anthony Roybal
Hi Mike,

I had this same issue with the iTunes upgrade. You can download it directly at:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

BTW, I was able to do the over the air update to iOS 7 from my phone.

Regards,
Tony

On 2013-09-19 12:10, Anthony Roybal wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> I had this same issue with the iTunes upgrade. You can download it directly at:
>
> http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Tony,

This is weird!  I went to the above URL and tried the download.  I get
my browser popup asking me if I want to save the .exe file, but even
before I click "Save", the web page changes to one saying "Thanks for
downloading ITunes".  After clicking save, however, nothing happens.  I
don't even get a chance to say where to save it..

It looks like I have a more general problem that's keeping the new
ITunes from actually being downloaded.

Meanwhile, I've started the over the air (actually WiFi) download of IOS
7 to my iPhone.  But I still want to upgrade ITunes, especially if it's
going to be required in order to sync IOS 7.

Any suggestions?

Mike

--
Mike Friedman
[hidden email]
http://mikefberkeley.com

Re: [Micronet] Can't download new Itunes or IOS 7

Anthony Roybal
Hi Mike,

I know it's obvious, but have you tried another browser or two? Other than that, I'll have to rely on one of our PC colleagues to suggest something.

Good luck,
Tony

On 2013-09-19 12:34, Anthony Roybal wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> I know it's obvious, but have you tried another browser or two? Other than that, I'll have to rely on one of our PC colleagues to suggest something.

Tony,

I had thought of that and rejected it because I figured my first attempt
to download the new ITunes from within ITunes wouldn't involve my
browser.  But I guess that's not right;  probably it uses my default
browser, which is Firefox and that, of course, failed when I went
directly to the download site.  So, considering your suggestion, I tried
Chrome and it worked.  I have now successfully installed Itunes 11.1
from the downloaded install file.

Of course, I still don't know why Firefox wouldn't download Itunes;
I've never had this problem with prior ITunes upgrades.

Meanwhile, my direct download of IOS 7 to my iPhone seems to be moving
along.  (The download itself is complete, but the install is just
beginning).

Thanks for your help and support.

Mike

--
Mike Friedman
[hidden email]
http://mikefberkeley.com

Re: [Micronet] Can't download new Itunes or IOS 7

Richard DeShong-2
Just a note:  I've often had difficulty downloading install file using Firefox.  Switching to another browser and I was able to d/l and install as expected.

On 2013-09-19 12:34, Anthony Roybal wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> I know it's obvious, but have you tried another browser or two? Other than that, I'll have to rely on one of our PC colleagues to suggest something.

Tony,

I had thought of that and rejected it because I figured my first attempt
to download the new ITunes from within ITunes wouldn't involve my
browser.  But I guess that's not right;  probably it uses my default
browser, which is Firefox and that, of course, failed when I went
directly to the download site.  So, considering your suggestion, I tried
Chrome and it worked.  I have now successfully installed Itunes 11.1
from the downloaded install file.

Of course, I still don't know why Firefox wouldn't download Itunes;
I've never had this problem with prior ITunes upgrades.

Meanwhile, my direct download of IOS 7 to my iPhone seems to be moving
along.  (The download itself is complete, but the install is just
beginning).

Thanks for your help and support.

Mike

--
Mike Friedman
[hidden email]
http://mikefberkeley.com

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Can't download new Itunes or IOS 7

Ben Gross
Hi Mike,

One possible thing to check is that, at least on my iPhone 5, I needed over 3 gigs (~3.4 gigs) of free space on the phone in order to upgrade. My upgrade appeared to be silently failing before I removed some files from my iPhone. I could not find this listed anywhere in the official documentation.

Here is how to check your space.

Understanding capacity on iPhone, iPad, and iPod
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1867

Thank you,
Ben