[Micronet] Color printers

iascss
Hello
We are looking at buying a color laser printer for proofing website designs.

I've worked with several color printers in the past that have done a
pretty good job
Printers in this group include:
HP LJ CP2025 (decent color but occasionally displays poor registration)
HP Color LJ 3600 (nice as I recall)

Some older models I've worked with performed well and in many cases are
still chugging away.  However the color is not representative of what is
on the screen even after calibrating the monitor.
These include:
HP Color LJ 2600 (dull, washed out color output)
HPLJ 4500 (overall image is too fuzzy)
Dell 3100CN (good color but fuzzy text)

I've worked with some good All-in-one printers
Ricoh Aficio C4500
Xerox WorkCentre 7232
Xerox WorkCentre 7535

  The only problem with these all-in-one solutions is that they are too
expensive and too big for our office.

I would like to get something that is close to the finish of the
high-end all in one printers

I have been looking at reviews for
Ricoh SP C320dn (good reviews overall and very cost effective- but I
worry that high resolution doesn't necessarily translate to superior output)
Xerox Phaser 6280dn (good reviews but high printer cost)
HP Color LJ CP3525 (the devil you know)
all the printers in this group are available through BearBuy although
the BearBuy price is (at least in the case of the Ricoh) twice as much
as the cost elsewhere.

Any suggestions or opinions?

Thanks

Bill Gross

Re: [Micronet] Color printers

Greg Merritt
Between CMYK (reflection) / RGB (transmission) and CSS media="print" it seems like one could spend a lot of money on a color printer and often be unhappy.

Would an iPad be better-suited?

Re: [Micronet] Color printers

Joyce Martin
Hi Bill
I know a little about color processing thru my experience with photoshop and
printing images of art - forgive me if this is all too basic...

RGB is the color "menu" for the computer, which practically has limitless
colors.

CMYK is what printers use - the only colors that will print are those mixed
with cerulean, magenta, yellow, and black inks.

There are more RBG colors than there are CMYK colors - and thus, most times
bright colors in RGB (what you see on the computer) are "out of gamut" in
CMYK.  It won't print out the way you think it will.

It is practically impossible to match RBG to CMYK... if you want to match
what's on the computer screen, you could design in "CMYK mode" in your
computer and print it.  In photoshop, you can do a preview of your RGB image
to see what won't print in CMYK.

However, if you are designing websites, then it seems to me you can use the
whole gamut of RGB colors - you don't need to stay within the CMYK range,
which actually looks less bright/muddy compared to RGB.

I guess my thought is using paper proofs of website designs is going to take
a lot of work on the design side, vs it being a machine issue.

Joyce Martin
Business Analyst
Facilities Services Information Technology
2000 Carleton
Berkeley, CA  94720-1380
(510) 643-1485
fax (510) 642-7271

FSITSupport Website:
https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/default.aspx

Universal Desktop Project Communications (For users)
https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/UnivDT/SitePages/Home
.aspx

Universal Desktop Project:  User Prep Info
https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/UnivDT/SitePages/User
%20Prep%20Info.aspx

[...]

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Color printers- High BearBuy prices?

Nils Ohlson
Hi everyone,

Regardless of the CMYK/RGB/ etc issues I had one takeaway from the original request for info, which was the note that the BearBuy price was "at least twice the price from other sources". I think it would be very helpful to forward as much specific info about those price comparisons as you can, to the appropriate BearBuy admins, because now is the time to "nip things in the bud" if indeed BearBuy prices are proving to be noncompetitive. They need to know!

I think that this is the right contact e-mail:

[hidden email]

but I could be wrong.

-Nils

On 4/10/2012 2:10 PM, Joyce Martin wrote:
[...]

That actually helps a lot.
So, is there any point with getting1200X1200 resolution?
Bill

On 4/10/2012 2:10 PM, Joyce Martin wrote:

> Hi Bill
> I know a little about color processing thru my experience with photoshop and
> printing images of art - forgive me if this is all too basic...
>
> RGB is the color "menu" for the computer, which practically has limitless
> colors.
>
> CMYK is what printers use - the only colors that will print are those mixed
> with cerulean, magenta, yellow, and black inks.
>
> There are more RBG colors than there are CMYK colors - and thus, most times
> bright colors in RGB (what you see on the computer) are "out of gamut" in
> CMYK.  It won't print out the way you think it will.
>
> It is practically impossible to match RBG to CMYK... if you want to match
> what's on the computer screen, you could design in "CMYK mode" in your
> computer and print it.  In photoshop, you can do a preview of your RGB image
> to see what won't print in CMYK.
>
> However, if you are designing websites, then it seems to me you can use the
> whole gamut of RGB colors - you don't need to stay within the CMYK range,
> which actually looks less bright/muddy compared to RGB.
>
> I guess my thought is using paper proofs of website designs is going to take
> a lot of work on the design side, vs it being a machine issue.
>

> Joyce Martin
> Business Analyst
> Facilities Services Information Technology
> 2000 Carleton
> Berkeley, CA  94720-1380
> (510) 643-1485
> fax (510) 642-7271
>
> FSITSupport Website:
> https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/default.aspx
>
> Universal Desktop Project Communications (For users)
> https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/UnivDT/SitePages/Home
> .aspx
>
> Universal Desktop Project:  User Prep Info
> https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/UnivDT/SitePages/User
> %20Prep%20Info.aspx

Tom Holub
Without more suppliers in BearBuy, the BearBuy prices on accessories won't be
competitive; we'd need Amazon as a punch-out catalog to have a hope of getting
the cheapest accessories.  (CDW-G might work for some items.)

You can do a Non-Catalog Form for an Amazon order but that's probably more of
a hassle than putting it on a blucard.

Public Service Announcement: <http://bearbuy.is.berkeley.edu/> bypasses the
front page of blu.

On 4/10/12 2:23 PM, Nils Ohlson wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Regardless of the CMYK/RGB/ etc issues I had one takeaway from the original
> request for info, which was the note that the BearBuy price was "at least
> twice the price from other sources". I think it would be very helpful to
> forward as much specific info about those price comparisons as you can, to the
> appropriate BearBuy admins, because now is the time to "nip things in the bud"
> if indeed BearBuy prices are proving to be noncompetitive. They need to know!
>
> I think that this is the right contact e-mail:
>
> [hidden email]
>
> but I could be wrong.
>
> -Nils
>

> On 4/10/2012 2:10 PM, Joyce Martin wrote:
>> Hi Bill
>> I know a little about color processing thru my experience with photoshop and
>> printing images of art - forgive me if this is all too basic...
>>
>> RGB is the color "menu" for the computer, which practically has limitless
>> colors.
>>
>> CMYK is what printers use - the only colors that will print are those mixed
>> with cerulean, magenta, yellow, and black inks.
>>
>> There are more RBG colors than there are CMYK colors - and thus, most times
>> bright colors in RGB (what you see on the computer) are "out of gamut" in
>> CMYK.  It won't print out the way you think it will.
>>
>> It is practically impossible to match RBG to CMYK... if you want to match
>> what's on the computer screen, you could design in "CMYK mode" in your
>> computer and print it.  In photoshop, you can do a preview of your RGB image
>> to see what won't print in CMYK.
>>
>> However, if you are designing websites, then it seems to me you can use the
>> whole gamut of RGB colors - you don't need to stay within the CMYK range,
>> which actually looks less bright/muddy compared to RGB.
>>
>> I guess my thought is using paper proofs of website designs is going to take
>> a lot of work on the design side, vs it being a machine issue.
>>

>> Joyce Martin
>> Business Analyst
>> Facilities Services Information Technology
>> 2000 Carleton
>> Berkeley, CA  94720-1380
>> (510) 643-1485
>> fax (510) 642-7271
>>
>> FSITSupport Website:
>> https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/default.aspx
>>
>> Universal Desktop Project Communications (For users)
>> https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/UnivDT/SitePages/Home
>> .aspx
>>
>> Universal Desktop Project:  User Prep Info
>> https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/UnivDT/SitePages/User
>> %20Prep%20Info.aspx

Tom Holub ([hidden email], 510-642-9069)
Director of Computing, College of Letters & Science
101.D Durant Hall
<http://LSCR.berkeley.edu/>

Re: [Micronet] Color printers

Greg Merritt
Bill,

What, precisely, are you hoping to get from these "design proofing" printouts?

Are you looking for something to pass around that looks screen-like, that others can view off-line and mark up with a pencil?

-Greg

On Apr 10, 2012, at 2:58 PM, Bill Gross wrote:

> That actually helps a lot.
> So, is there any point with getting1200X1200 resolution?
> Bill

Re: [Micronet] Color printers

Joyce Martin
Hi Bill
I would ask the printer companies you are looking into to send hardcopy
samples of what their printers can do, because the printers might have
different capabilities at different resolutions.   Your human eye is
probably a better judge of quality than following the specs of a product
(image printing is complicated!).

Joyce Martin
Business Analyst
Facilities Services Information Technology
2000 Carleton
Berkeley, CA  94720-1380
(510) 643-1485
fax (510) 642-7271

FSITSupport Website:
https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/default.aspx

Universal Desktop Project Communications (For users)
https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/UnivDT/SitePages/Home
.aspx

Universal Desktop Project:  User Prep Info
https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/UnivDT/SitePages/User
%20Prep%20Info.aspx

So, is there any point with getting1200X1200 resolution?
Bill

On 4/10/2012 2:10 PM, Joyce Martin wrote:
> Hi Bill
> I know a little about color processing thru my experience with
> photoshop and printing images of art - forgive me if this is all too
basic...

> RGB is the color "menu" for the computer, which practically has
> limitless colors.
>
> CMYK is what printers use - the only colors that will print are those
> mixed with cerulean, magenta, yellow, and black inks.
>
> There are more RBG colors than there are CMYK colors - and thus, most
> times bright colors in RGB (what you see on the computer) are "out of
> gamut" in CMYK.  It won't print out the way you think it will.
>
> It is practically impossible to match RBG to CMYK... if you want to
> match what's on the computer screen, you could design in "CMYK mode"
> in your computer and print it.  In photoshop, you can do a preview of
> your RGB image to see what won't print in CMYK.
>
> However, if you are designing websites, then it seems to me you can
> use the whole gamut of RGB colors - you don't need to stay within the
> CMYK range, which actually looks less bright/muddy compared to RGB.
>
> I guess my thought is using paper proofs of website designs is going
> to take a lot of work on the design side, vs it being a machine issue.
>

> Joyce Martin
> Business Analyst
> Facilities Services Information Technology
> 2000 Carleton
> Berkeley, CA  94720-1380
> (510) 643-1485
> fax (510) 642-7271
>
> FSITSupport Website:
> https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/default.aspx
>
> Universal Desktop Project Communications (For users)
> https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/UnivDT/SitePage
> s/Home
> .aspx
>
> Universal Desktop Project:  User Prep Info
> https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/UnivDT/SitePage
> s/User
> %20Prep%20Info.aspx

Use is for general proofing of websites and some documents
Bill

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 15:17:44 -0700, Greg Merritt <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> Bill,
>
> What, precisely, are you hoping to get from these "design proofing"
> printouts?
>
> Are you looking for something to pass around that looks screen-like,
that

> others can view off-line and mark up with a pencil?
>
> -Greg
>

> On Apr 10, 2012, at 2:58 PM, Bill Gross wrote:
>
>> That actually helps a lot.
>> So, is there any point with getting1200X1200 resolution?
>> Bill

please
> visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
and
> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] Color printers- High BearBuy prices?

iascss
This is the price spread for the Ricoh printer I was talking about.  Most
are in the same range with a few available at cheaper prices.  Perhaps they
are not all full service vendors?

http://www.nextag.com/Ricoh-Corp-Aficio-SP-829052714/prices-html

Bill

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 15:17:41 -0700, Tom Holub <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> range,
>>> which actually looks less bright/muddy compared to RGB.
>>>
>>> I guess my thought is using paper proofs of website designs is going

>>> take
>>> a lot of work on the design side, vs it being a machine issue.
>>>

>>> Joyce Martin
>>> Business Analyst
>>> Facilities Services Information Technology
>>> 2000 Carleton
>>> Berkeley, CA  94720-1380
>>> (510) 643-1485
>>> fax (510) 642-7271
>>>
>>> FSITSupport Website:
>>> https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/default.aspx
>>>
>>> Universal Desktop Project Communications (For users)

https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/UnivDT/SitePages/Home
>>> .aspx
>>>
>>> Universal Desktop Project:  User Prep Info

>>> Cc: [hidden email]
> [...]

>>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>>
>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>>> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>>> This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>> This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Color printers

Greg Merritt

> Use is for general proofing of websites and some documents

I guess I don't know what "proofing of websites" means with respect to a printer...?  I tend to think of turning to something like this when evaluating how a site looks:

http://browsershots.org/http://ias.berkeley.edu/

A laser printer is a lovely hammer, but even a gilded hammer does a lousy job at slicing vegetables. ;)

Re: [Micronet] Color printers

Marilyn Saarni-2
Hi Bill et al. -

Where the 1200x1200 resolution will make a big difference is if you want to simulate smoothness of gradients, shadings, jpg interpretations, etc.  As you would want for a hi-res photograph.

The 600x600 serves quite nicely for crisp type, etc., but when you put in, say, a complex gradient, grayscale or color, you'll see an infiltration of very mild banding.

I see it all the time in printing out our posters (600x600) with several scientific figures, where online it looks really smooth--but not on paper.  But when we print at "best quality" (1200x1200) the same figure on our HP Officejet 8500, it looks great.

Assuming you really intend this printer to serve such a narrow use as web design proofs, such perfection seems a bit unnecessary.  Don't forget that figures optimized for web tend to not have the resolution to suit 1200x1200 print.

I really like Joyce's explanation on RGB vs. CMYK below.

She didn't mention that one can set up printer profiles to match on-screen CMYK to the CMYK colors on the printer.  This is actually a demanding process, and takes a great eye for color.  If you don't need to do this print job frequently, and you do want a really close color match, you may want to check out professional print shops (I was going to recommend Cantoo--but I see they seemed to have merged with Avant in Richmond).  If you have a portable, they may help set up a printer profile on your laptop for their own printers.

- Marilyn

On Apr 10, 2012, at 2:58 PM, Bill Gross wrote:

> That actually helps a lot.
> So, is there any point with getting1200X1200 resolution?
> Bill
>
> On 4/10/2012 2:10 PM, Joyce Martin wrote:
>> Hi Bill
>> I know a little about color processing thru my experience with photoshop and
>> printing images of art - forgive me if this is all too basic...
>>
>> RGB is the color "menu" for the computer, which practically has limitless
>> colors.
>>
>> CMYK is what printers use - the only colors that will print are those mixed
>> with cerulean, magenta, yellow, and black inks.
>>
>> There are more RBG colors than there are CMYK colors - and thus, most times
>> bright colors in RGB (what you see on the computer) are "out of gamut" in
>> CMYK.  It won't print out the way you think it will.
>>
>> It is practically impossible to match RBG to CMYK... if you want to match
>> what's on the computer screen, you could design in "CMYK mode" in your
>> computer and print it.  In photoshop, you can do a preview of your RGB image
>> to see what won't print in CMYK.
>>
>> However, if you are designing websites, then it seems to me you can use the
>> whole gamut of RGB colors - you don't need to stay within the CMYK range,
>> which actually looks less bright/muddy compared to RGB.
>>
>> I guess my thought is using paper proofs of website designs is going to take
>> a lot of work on the design side, vs it being a machine issue.
>>

>> Joyce Martin
>> Business Analyst
>> Facilities Services Information Technology
>> 2000 Carleton
>> Berkeley, CA  94720-1380
>> (510) 643-1485
>> fax (510) 642-7271
>>
>> FSITSupport Website:
>> https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/default.aspx
>>
>> Universal Desktop Project Communications (For users)
>> https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/UnivDT/SitePages/Home
>> .aspx
>>
>> Universal Desktop Project:  User Prep Info
>> https://calshare.berkeley.edu/sites/fs/supportservices/UnivDT/SitePages/User
>> %20Prep%20Info.aspx

Pretty funny ;)))
We do use that, but when passing designs around to different departments,
the pencils come out.  Graphite is still common ground.
Bill