[Micronet] Compilation benchmark code?

Tomo O'BRIEN
Hi folks,

We're looking at trying to benchmark the various development environments so we know how VMs perform compared to desktop/laptops as we move into developing in managed VMs.

Does anyone know of good examples of complex java/.net projects that could be compiled on desktop/laptops and VMs to obtain benchmarks?

Thanks!

Tomo

Re: [Micronet] Compilation benchmark code?

Christopher Brooks
Hi Tomo,

Ptolemy II (http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII) is a ~500Kloc/4500 file Java application that compiles in about 23 seconds using ant.

A long time ago, I was testing compilation speeds, see http://embedded.eecs.berkeley.edu/ransom/faq/37.html

I updated the text to include the new repo.

_Christopher

On 1/29/16 10:10 AM, Tomo O'BRIEN wrote:
Hi folks,

We're looking at trying to benchmark the various development environments so we know how VMs perform compared to desktop/laptops as we move into developing in managed VMs.

Does anyone know of good examples of complex java/.net projects that could be compiled on desktop/laptops and VMs to obtain benchmarks?

Thanks!

Tomo

Academic Program Manager & Software Engineer  US Mail: 337 Cory Hall
CHESS/iCyPhy/Ptolemy/TerraSwarm               Berkeley, CA 94720-1774
[hidden email], 707.332.0670           (Office: 545Q Cory)

Re: [Micronet] Compilation benchmark code?

Jon Forrest-3

On 1/29/2016 10:50 AM, Christopher Brooks wrote:
> Hi Tomo,
>
> Ptolemy II (http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII) is a
> ~500Kloc/4500 file Java application that compiles in about 23 seconds
> using ant.
>
> A long time ago, I was testing compilation speeds, see
> http://embedded.eecs.berkeley.edu/ransom/faq/37.html

Anybody want to guess how much the difference will be
between bare hardware and a VM (assuming a VM and a
modern host with equivalent hardware resources)?

My guess is within 5%.

Jon Forrest
(UCB ret.)

Re: [Micronet] Compilation benchmark code?

jon kuroda-2
Apache Spark™ [0] - about 630 KLOJS (1000 Lines of Java/Scala) [1]
Android Open Source Project - 4.9 MLOJ (Million lines of J) [2]

Ptolemy II, for ref, has about as much Java/JVMness as Apache Spark™ [3]

--Jon

[0] Originally developed in EECS by the AMP Lab, where I work
[1] https://www.openhub.net/p/apache-spark/analyses/latest/languages_summary
[2] https://www.openhub.net/p/android/analyses/latest/languages_summary
[3] https://www.openhub.net/p/12005/analyses/latest/languages_summary