[Micronet] Copier/scanner/printer?

robertl
Hi
We're looking at getting a Color copier/scanner/printer for our department. And we are looking at a Canon imageRUNNER ADVANCE C5030. However, the main users of the copier/scanner/printer will be from the Mac (Lion) and from reading some of the things posted on Canon's site they don't seem all that Mac friendly.

So, is anyone using a Color copier/scanner/printer (for a department) that is Mac friendly? Or are you using the Canon with a Mac happy?

Thanks,
Robert

Re: [Micronet] Copier/scanner/printer?

Richard DeShong-2
Robert,
Purchasing a dept copier/scanner/printer would seem like the ideal use for
campus or UC purchasing power to be put to good use.  Could anyone on the
list chime in with the current purchasing agreements?  In the near future,
the new BearBuy e-procurement system might help with this.

FYI, when I was researching a new copier/scanner/printer for out dept, I
found the campus had two purchasing agreements.  I don't remember the other
mnfg, but I went with Xerox, and we got the Xerox WorkCentre 5655.  It does
color scanning, but we didn't get the color printing option.  BTW, this was
for a lease, not purchase.

--
Richard DeShong, Information Systems Analyst
Athletic Study Center, UC Berkeley

We're looking at getting a Color copier/scanner/printer for our department.
And we are looking at a Canon imageRUNNER ADVANCE C5030. However, the main
users of the copier/scanner/printer will be from the Mac (Lion) and from
reading some of the things posted on Canon's site they don't seem all that
Mac friendly.

So, is anyone using a Color copier/scanner/printer (for a department) that
is Mac friendly? Or are you using the Canon with a Mac happy?

Thanks,
Robert

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Copier/scanner/printer?

Robert Hiramoto
Hi Robert et al,

We have a Canon ImageRunner 5185i.

We got this from NewCal, which I think is or was a campus approved vendor?

Most of our machines are windows-based, but we do have a few macs.
The canon is shared to our network using a windows print server.
Some promised features of the Canon don't work, since this model can't
talk NTLMv2.  Canon may or may not get around to updating this model's
firmware to support this, but I doubt it.

Our macs print directly to the canon's IP, not the windows print server.

When the macs print to the canon, all of the features of the copier
appear, such as the finishing features, paper supplies, etc using the
canon mac software.  But, none of the features actually work.
So, if I choose a job that is 2 sided and stapled, it will print single
sided with no staples.  The macs get no error messages.

We use the canon job accounting feature, so that one has to enter a code
to use the machine.  This does function with the macs.

I've not spent much time investigating this problem, so I've no fix.

Since we have so few macs in our building, this is not a big problem for
us, and we are mostly happy with the Canon.

I can explain more off list if necessary.

Hope that is helpful.

~Robert
Robert Hiramoto
IT Manager
Institute for Research on Labor and Employment (IRLE)
University of California, Berkeley
2521 Channing Way #5555
Berkeley, CA 94720-5555

Phone:  (510) 643-3903
Fax:  (510) 642-6432

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday:  8:00 am to 4:00 pm

On 10/19/11 10:20 AM, "robertl" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi
>We're looking at getting a Color copier/scanner/printer for our
>department. And we are looking at a Canon imageRUNNER ADVANCE C5030.
>However, the main users of the copier/scanner/printer will be from the
>Mac (Lion) and from reading some of the things posted on Canon's site
>they don't seem all that Mac friendly.
>
>So, is anyone using a Color copier/scanner/printer (for a department)
>that is Mac friendly? Or are you using the Canon with a Mac happy?
>
>Thanks,
>Robert

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
>means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Copier/scanner/printer?

erol
We have a Canon ImageRunner 5075 leased and services by NewCal.  We
print to it by IP.  It is not color, but we primarily use Macs to
print to it.

We don't have any problems using the finishing features such as
duplexing, stapling, and hole punching.  You need to make sure you
have the correct print driver installed, and make sure you have the
correct finishing options selected when you do the printer setup.
We're using the "Canon IR5075 PS (US)" driver.

One issue with printing is how you select the finishing options.  To
select duplex printing, you do not use the "Layout" menu item in the
print window.  You must use the "Finishing" menu item.  Trying to
select two-sided printing or using a printing preset for two-sided
printing set in the "Layout" menu will not work.

The latest drivers for Mac OS for each model can be download from the
Canon USA website.  We're not using Lion yet, but I see they have a
new Lion compatible PS driver available for download which was just
posted yesterday.

I went to the NewCal office to test the Canon machines and brought my
MacBook with me to try them out.

Mark Hipperson was the sales contact at NewCal ([hidden email],
925-465-8468).

We had a Xerox Document Centre 545 previously, and it also worked with
Macs, but that was a few years ago.

Erol Kepkep

Molecular and Cell Biology
Instructional Laboratory Support

On Oct 19, 2011, at 11:10 AM, Robert Hiramoto wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Robert

>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-
>> viewable, and
>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>> This
>> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-
> viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the
> Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others)
> your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in

Picture 2.png (133K) Download Attachment

Re: [Micronet] Copier/scanner/printer?

Marilyn Saarni-2
Roberti - You didn't say how many users, or typical monthly print #s, which makes a big difference on which model you use, or whether you look for a small workgroup solution, or find it's better to engage in a lease agreement with a centralized printing service.

I have to admit, as a Mac it supporter, I generally avoid any manufacturer not committed to cross-platform support.  Part of that evaluation should be checking the setup instructions, to see how easy they are.  (I figure if the installation directions are simple, they've put some thought into their interface design.)  Another good sign is if they use scan products like Twain or IRIS, both of which are cross-platform friendly.

Definitely have found Brothers, Lexmarks and Canons all fairly chancy when it comes to Macs, Lion or not.  That's over a period of 20 years…  Nor do I understand why it's such a problem for these manufacturers -- they always seem to want to stick in some sort of intricate software interface that just gets in the way.  They seem funky with changing Windows OS too.

Both HP and Xerox have a recent (up to 5 years) good history for supporting cross-platform compatibility, and maintaining drivers for older printers for future OS upgrades -- more important when you expect a 5-7 year life for a printer.  If you buy, they both provide longer-timeframe onsite repair warranties, and often accept trade-ins.

We have a multifunction HP Officejet Pro L 8500 which is proving more reliable than prior multifunctions and our older Xerox B&W laser printer.  But it's definitely a small workgroup solution (25 people, none really heavy printers, and all perfectly willing to put paper in an undersized paper tray).  We do need color (geologists) and duplex printing more than other groups.  We still keep our Xerox 4500dtn going for routine B&W printing, though we have to "kick it" occasionally out of its old printer's daydreams.  Both printers sit on a counter (e.g., desktop design, not a big link on big cabinet).  Space is an issue for us, so this is a big plus.

As Richard suggested, there is intent for setting up centralized printing solutions (a major goal for OE IT Procurement), which may be optimal for you.  Several large units (e.g., Law School - see http://www.law.berkeley.edu/files/Copy_Center_Flyer_NEW(2).pdf) have already contracted with UCSF Documents, Media and Mail service, which has a lot of support to take on centralized printer/copier/scanning services here on campus.

Unfortunately I have NO idea who the campus contact might be.  (Anyone else?)

From what I've overheard in the past the evaluators are financial/administration-oriented, which doesn't necessarily translate to a strong cross-platform (or MacOS friendly) selection process.  But if the service is responsive, you can complain until THEY get it fixed right.

- Marilyn

[...]

Paul Cunningham
Re: [Micronet] Copier/scanner/printer?
[Unfortunately I have NO idea who the campus contact might be.  (Anyone else?)]

I was told to contact this person when the School of Ed was looking into this recently:

Marc Buchalter
Senior Campus Buyer
Phone: (510) 642-2579
Fax: (510) 642-8604

From: Marilyn Saarni <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 12:10:35 -0700
To: List Micronet <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Micronet] Copier/scanner/printer?

Roberti - You didn't say how many users, or typical monthly print #s, which makes a big difference on which model you use, or whether you look for a small workgroup solution, or find it's better to engage in a lease agreement with a centralized printing service.

I have to admit, as a Mac it supporter, I generally avoid any manufacturer not committed to cross-platform support.  Part of that evaluation should be checking the setup instructions, to see how easy they are.  (I figure if the installation directions are simple, they've put some thought into their interface design.)  Another good sign is if they use scan products like Twain or IRIS, both of which are cross-platform friendly.

Definitely have found Brothers, Lexmarks and Canons all fairly chancy when it comes to Macs, Lion or not.  That's over a period of 20 yearsŠ  Nor do I understand why it's such a problem for these manufacturers -- they always seem to want to stick in some sort of intricate software interface that just gets in the way.  They seem funky with changing Windows OS too.

[...]

From what I've overheard in the past the evaluators are financial/administration-oriented, which doesn't necessarily translate to a strong cross-platform (or MacOS friendly) selection process.  But if the service is responsive, you can complain until THEY get it fixed right.

- Marilyn

[...]

Bay Area Writing Project
University of California
2195 Hearst Ave. Suite 101
Berkeley, CA  94720-1040

Re: [Micronet] Copier/scanner/printer?

Marc Buchalter-2
Re: [Micronet] Copier/scanner/printer?

This is a strategic sourcing agreement. http://businessservices.berkeley.edu/procurement/sourcing

I suggest that you contact Stacey Templeman who is a Strategic Sourcing specialist.

From: Marilyn Saarni <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 12:10:35 -0700
To: List Micronet <[hidden email]>

[...]

From what I've overheard in the past the evaluators are financial/administration-oriented, which doesn't necessarily translate to a strong cross-platform (or MacOS friendly) selection process.  But if the service is responsive, you can complain until THEY get it fixed right.

- Marilyn

[...]

------------------------------------

Re: [Micronet] Copier/scanner/printer?

Haron Abrahimi

Good Morning Robert,

David Wilson forwarded the below message to me and asked that I forward you some information that may help decide the direction of your copier needs. I have been project lead for an OE Copier Management Program initiative that is designed to help our campus community with copier consulting, acquisition and management. We have been working with UCSF to provide this program to our campus community. Although a final decision has not been reached since we are still in the initial pilot phase of the program, many units (Law School, Doe and Moffitt Libraries, OMBO, MCB) have already started utilizing the UCSF Copier Management services.

If you would like to take advantage of the UCSF free copier consulting services to help with the below decision, please contact:

Mario Carmona [hidden email]

Phone: 415-476-2518

Haron

Haron Abrahimi