[Micronet] DNS "alias"?

Dennis Leong

Hello,

Is it possible to create a DNS “alias” for a url (like the one below)?  I know one can add it as a favorite in the browser but an “alias” would meet our needs by reducing/eliminating the need for users to change their url multiple times for the ucop student systems migration when the actual url is changed.  A simple “alias” name like

Berkeley-archive-reporting would be nice.  Thank you.

https://mvs-dprt01.berkeley.edu/lrs/nlrswc2.exe/lrsnet?trid=logon

Re: [Micronet] DNS "alias"?

Jonathan Felder
DNS operates only on the first part of the url (i.e. the host address).
  The rest of the information is passed to the webserver.

You both have to create an alias and modify the webserver config to
direct you to the right page when the alias was given.

On 8/16/2011 12:41 PM, Dennis Leong wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to create a DNS "alias" for a url (like the one below)?  I
> know one can add it as a favorite in the browser but an "alias" would meet
> our needs by reducing/eliminating the need for users to change their url
> multiple times for the ucop student systems migration when the actual url is
> changed.  A simple "alias" name like
>
> Berkeley-archive-reporting would be nice.  Thank you.
>

> https://mvs-dprt01.berkeley.edu/lrs/nlrswc2.exe/lrsnet?trid=logon

Re: [Micronet] DNS "alias"?

Ian Crew
As an example, both mvp.berkeley.edu and hub.berkeley.edu are set up to point to the same ip, 169.229.216.56.  We're using Apache to host the website on that machine.

We have it set up so that folks who connect to mvp.berkeley.edu are redirected to a different site, http://www.okapi.dreamhosters.com/mediahub/. To do that, we use Apache's mod_rewrite module, and have the following lines in our apache configuration file (often called httpd.conf) to set that up:

RewriteEngine on
#redirect the old Media Vault host to the old MVP site.
RewriteCond   %{HTTP_HOST}                 ^mvp.berkeley.edu$ [NC]
RewriteRule   ^(.+)                        http://mediavault.wordpress.com$1 [R=permanent,L]

See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/misc/rewriteguide.html for more details about what all this means.

You can also use mod_rewrite to redirect URLs on the same host, so you could have:
        http://foo.berkeley.edu/bar
redirect to something much less memorable, such as:
        http://foo.berkeley.edu/a/very/long/and/painful/url.html

If you're using something other than Apache to host the site on your host, this sort of thing is probably still possible, but I don't know the details.

Cheers,

Ian

On Aug 16, 2011, at 12:49 PM, Jonathan Felder wrote:

> DNS operates only on the first part of the url (i.e. the host address).
>  The rest of the information is passed to the webserver.
>
> You both have to create an alias and modify the webserver config to
> direct you to the right page when the alias was given.
>
> On 8/16/2011 12:41 PM, Dennis Leong wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is it possible to create a DNS "alias" for a url (like the one below)?  I
>> know one can add it as a favorite in the browser but an "alias" would meet
>> our needs by reducing/eliminating the need for users to change their url
>> multiple times for the ucop student systems migration when the actual url is
>> changed.  A simple "alias" name like
>>
>> Berkeley-archive-reporting would be nice.  Thank you.
>>

>> https://mvs-dprt01.berkeley.edu/lrs/nlrswc2.exe/lrsnet?trid=logon

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
http://hub.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] DNS "alias"?

Jonathan Felder
One other thing, on a whim I clicked on the URL.  It asks for both the
calnetid and passphrase.  Without knowing the details of your
application, you might want to check this out:

https://calnet.berkeley.edu/developers/generalInformation/aboutCalNet/CalAuthDef.html

I was just surprised to see a service that didn't appear to be using CAS.

On 8/16/2011 12:41 PM, Dennis Leong wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to create a DNS "alias" for a url (like the one below)?  I
> know one can add it as a favorite in the browser but an "alias" would meet
> our needs by reducing/eliminating the need for users to change their url
> multiple times for the ucop student systems migration when the actual url is
> changed.  A simple "alias" name like
>
> Berkeley-archive-reporting would be nice.  Thank you.
>

> https://mvs-dprt01.berkeley.edu/lrs/nlrswc2.exe/lrsnet?trid=logon

Re: [Micronet] DNS "alias"?

Ian Crew
Yup--we went through the official process (see https://wikihub.berkeley.edu/display/calnet/Proxied+CalNet+Authentication) to get an exception so we could do that. We needed to do that for technical reasons, largely to do with the fact that CAS doesn't play nicely with non-web-browser-based access methods like RESTful APIs, WebDAV, etc.

Due to the architecture of the software we're using, it's not possible to use CAS for browser-based access and another method for non-browser-based access. (Yes, I have pointed out how silly that is to the vendor.)

In the mean time, rest assured that we went through a stringent multi-step process with CISPC and the SNS folks to ensure the security of your CalNet IDs with this setup.

Cheers,

Ian

On Aug 16, 2011, at 1:26 PM, Jonathan Felder wrote:

> One other thing, on a whim I clicked on the URL.  It asks for both the
> calnetid and passphrase.  Without knowing the details of your
> application, you might want to check this out:
>
> https://calnet.berkeley.edu/developers/generalInformation/aboutCalNet/CalAuthDef.html
>
> I was just surprised to see a service that didn't appear to be using CAS.
>
> On 8/16/2011 12:41 PM, Dennis Leong wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is it possible to create a DNS "alias" for a url (like the one below)?  I
>> know one can add it as a favorite in the browser but an "alias" would meet
>> our needs by reducing/eliminating the need for users to change their url
>> multiple times for the ucop student systems migration when the actual url is
>> changed.  A simple "alias" name like
>>
>> Berkeley-archive-reporting would be nice.  Thank you.
>>

>> https://mvs-dprt01.berkeley.edu/lrs/nlrswc2.exe/lrsnet?trid=logon

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
http://hub.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] DNS "alias"?

Dennis Leong
Thank you all for responding.  I'll be digesting this information.

One other thing, on a whim I clicked on the URL.  It asks for both the
calnetid and passphrase.  Without knowing the details of your
application, you might want to check this out:

https://calnet.berkeley.edu/developers/generalInformation/aboutCalNet/CalAut
hDef.html

I was just surprised to see a service that didn't appear to be using CAS.

On 8/16/2011 12:41 PM, Dennis Leong wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to create a DNS "alias" for a url (like the one below)?  I
> know one can add it as a favorite in the browser but an "alias" would meet
> our needs by reducing/eliminating the need for users to change their url
> multiple times for the ucop student systems migration when the actual url
is

> changed.  A simple "alias" name like
>
> Berkeley-archive-reporting would be nice.  Thank you.
>

> https://mvs-dprt01.berkeley.edu/lrs/nlrswc2.exe/lrsnet?trid=logon

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.