[Micronet] Data Recovery Recommendation

Tom Salinaro
Help! I stupidly started doing a once over zero fill on a hdd not realizing the  usb drive was attached. I realized what was happening when it just started but the drive is unusable in windows nonetheless. Does anyone know how to recover whatever data is left or is this best left to an expert? If so, any recommendations for an expert?
Thanks

Re: [Micronet] Data Recovery Recommendation

Ian Crew
The best of the best (worldwide) is Drive Savers.  Luckily, they're in Novato.  See http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/ .  If they can't get it back, it can't be gotten back.

Apparently they do (or did?) offer a discount to UCB folks--be sure to ask.

(Funny--the second time today I've been asked about this sort of thing!)

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, and good luck with getting it back.

Ian

On Jul 22, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Tom Salinaro wrote:

> Help! I stupidly started doing a once over zero fill on a hdd not realizing the  usb drive was attached. I realized what was happening when it just started but the drive is unusable in windows nonetheless. Does anyone know how to recover whatever data is left or is this best left to an expert? If so, any recommendations for an expert?
> Thanks

Media Vault Program
Information Services and Technology-Data Services
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
http://mvp.berkeley.edu

Outgoing Chair, Chancellor's Staff Advisory Committee
http://csac.chance.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Data Recovery Recommendation

Andrew Ring
My advice...

If the process was stopped fast enough, it is possible only your MBR is
gone.  One used to be able to do a MBR recovery/rebuild.  Unfortunately,
I haven't done this recently enough to be able to recommend any tools.

If you fear that more data than that was wiped out or if the data was of
a high value, then call Drive Savers before doing anything to the drive.

-Andrew

Tom Salinaro wrote:

> Help! I stupidly started doing a once over zero fill on a hdd not realizing the  usb drive was attached. I realized what was happening when it just started but the drive is unusable in windows nonetheless. Does anyone know how to recover whatever data is left or is this best left to an expert? If so, any recommendations for an expert?
> Thanks

Re: [Micronet] Data Recovery Recommendation

Ryan Lovett
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:07:59AM -0700, Tom Salinaro wrote:
> Help! I stupidly started doing a once over zero fill on a hdd not
> realizing the  usb drive was attached. I realized what was happening when
> it just started but the drive is unusable in windows nonetheless. Does
> anyone know how to recover whatever data is left or is this best left to
> an expert? If so, any recommendations for an expert?

You might also try TestDisk, http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk. I've
had good luck with it when there is nothing physically wrong with the disk,
though the user interface could be better.

Ryan

Re: [Micronet] Data Recovery Recommendation

Tom Salinaro

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It sent it overnight to drivesavers. They sent me a fedex label via email and will give me a firm price by tues (they have an expidited service that costs a bit more). They gave me a ballpark quote of $440 - $1100 for a half full 8gb drive. They offer UC a 30% discount. Thanks all.

On Jul 22, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Tom Salinaro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Help! I stupidly started doing a once over zero fill on a hdd not realizing the  usb drive was attached. I realized what was happening when it just started but the drive is unusable in windows nonetheless. Does anyone know how to recover whatever data is left or is this best left to an expert? If so, any recommendations for an expert?
> Thanks

Re: [Micronet] Data Recovery Recommendation

Jon Johnsen
  Tom,

Would you please report your experience with DriveSavers to the list?

Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office
433 University Hall
School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
510 643-4357

On 7/22/2010 1:52 PM, Tom Salinaro wrote:

> Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It sent it overnight to drivesavers. They sent me a fedex label via email and will give me a firm price by tues (they have an expidited service that costs a bit more). They gave me a ballpark quote of $440 - $1100 for a half full 8gb drive. They offer UC a 30% discount. Thanks all.
>

> On Jul 22, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Tom Salinaro<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Help! I stupidly started doing a once over zero fill on a hdd not realizing the  usb drive was attached. I realized what was happening when it just started but the drive is unusable in windows nonetheless. Does anyone know how to recover whatever data is left or is this best left to an expert? If so, any recommendations for an expert?
>> Thanks

Re: [Micronet] Data Recovery Recommendation

Tom Salinaro
  Good news, drivesavers has recovered all of my data. The bad news it
that it cost $1.1k (ouch) for ~4.5GB of data. That is with the UC
discount. Backups of backups with those backed up to an off site
location on Mars from now on.