[Micronet] Data recovery from non-uc owned system

[Micronet] Data recovery from non-uc owned system

David D. Lee

Good morning Micronetters, custom built system, non-UC  owned here on campus has crashed.  The owner of this system is looking for data recovery options in this area.  Any suggestions for them?

Thanks

David D. Lee

Campus Shared Services IT

http://sharedservices.berkeley.edu

To submit a request, please go to

https://shared-services-help.berkeley.edu/

or call 664-9000, option 1, option 4, then option 2

Re: [Micronet] Data recovery from non-uc owned system

Ian Crew
Drivesavers.  http://drivesavers.com.  Not cheap, though.

(Good backups are a much more cost-effective solution going forward....)

Ian

On Jul 25, 2013, at 9:58 AM, David LEE <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good morning Micronetters, custom built system, non-UC  owned here on campus has crashed.  The owner of this system is looking for data recovery options in this area.  Any suggestions for them?

Thanks

David D. Lee
Campus Shared Services IT
To submit a request, please go to
or call 664-9000, option 1, option 4, then option 2

___

IST-Architecture, Platforms and Integration (API)
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] Data recovery from non-uc owned system

Robert L. Muzzy

If the hard drive is still functional, reinstall the OS.  Or attach it to another system as the second drive and copy files off it.  If the hard drive is dead, drivesavers in Novato is about your only, albeit rather expensive, alternative.

Bob Muzzy

Student Affairs IT

UC Berkeley

510-643-0815

Re: [Micronet] Data recovery from non-uc owned system

Lawrence Sweet
First, I would try a Linux boot technique (USB is convenient) where I could:

(Usb linux boot utils: Unetbootin.sourceforge.net)

(Assuming readable hd - often I have found that Linux can mount and read volumes that windows cannot)

: get detailed sector/hd numbers
: run sudo <name of preferred dir viewer in Linux> to bypass ntfs permissions
: proceed to backup readable data

If not mountable in Linux, I then tell clients to seek those with the expensive data recovery hardware.

If you want to discuss with me and tap into my data recovery experience let me know ill send you my cell number.

Good luck,
Lawrence@HAAS

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 25, 2013, at 9:58 AM, "David LEE" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good morning Micronetters, custom built system, non-UC  owned here on campus has crashed.  The owner of this system is looking for data recovery options in this area.  Any suggestions for them?

Thanks

David D. Lee

Campus Shared Services IT

http://sharedservices.berkeley.edu

To submit a request, please go to

https://shared-services-help.berkeley.edu/

or call 664-9000, option 1, option 4, then option 2

Re: [Micronet] Data recovery from non-uc owned system

John McChesney-Young
On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Ian Crew <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Drivesavers.  http://drivesavers.com.  Not cheap, though.

One of our faculty had a drive go bad last year and I sent it off to
Drivesavers. They weren't able to recover any data - too much physical
damage from a catastrophic head crash - but not only did they not
charge anything, they even shipped the drive back free. The people I
spoke and emailed with were very helpful and responsive.

John

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020

Re: [Micronet] Data recovery from non-uc owned system

John Fuhs-Sooter
I would first test by connecting the drive to another computer to get the data off of it, as stated by the others.

If the drive is unreadable, I would recommend Seagate Recovery Services

John Fuhs-Sooter
Lead Technical Coordinator
Campus Shared Services IT

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 9:58 AM, David LEE <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good morning Micronetters, custom built system, non-UC  owned here on campus has crashed.  The owner of this system is looking for data recovery options in this area.  Any suggestions for them?

Thanks

David D. Lee

Campus Shared Services IT

http://sharedservices.berkeley.edu

To submit a request, please go to

https://shared-services-help.berkeley.edu/

or call 664-9000, option 1, option 4, then option 2

Re: [Micronet] Data recovery from non-uc owned system

Kin Jung
DriveSavers is expensive, however in the past they offered an education discount to UC Berkeley which amounted to a few hundred dollars savings.   If you do decide to go with DriveSavers, ask about a discount!

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Andrew M. Stevko <[hidden email]> wrote:
GRC Spinrite is very useful for recovering harddisks and controllers

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 9:58 AM, David LEE <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good morning Micronetters, custom built system, non-UC  owned here on campus has crashed.  The owner of this system is looking for data recovery options in this area.  Any suggestions for them?

Thanks

David D. Lee

Campus Shared Services IT

http://sharedservices.berkeley.edu

To submit a request, please go to

https://shared-services-help.berkeley.edu/

or call 664-9000, option 1, option 4, then option 2

Kin San Jung
University of California, Berkeley
Information Services & Technology
2111 Bancroft Way, #441L
Berkeley, CA 94720-4880

tel.+1 510.642.0239 - No Phone/Voicemail Service 7/24 & 7/25
mobile: +1 415.860.6772
fax.+1  510.643.7775

Re: [Micronet] Data recovery from non-uc owned system

Jon Forrest-3
On 7/25/2013 3:38 PM, Andrew M. Stevko wrote:
> GRC Spinrite is very useful for recovering harddisks and controllers
> https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

This isn't a universally accepted opinion.
Take a look at previous Micronet discussions about
this.

Jon Forrest
UCB, ret.

Re: [Micronet] Data recovery from non-uc owned system

DriveSavers in Novato is the usually quoted company, but if you want a
comparative quote try Data Recovery Group. Their California office is in
San Leandro. I expect there won't be much to choose between them.

Depending on the type of crash (controller failure, motor failure, media
damage, or just filesystem corruption) you could be looking at a four
figure cost.

Makes a few large external drives or a suitably sized NAS box look cost
effective!

Graham

On 7/25/2013 9:58 AM, David LEE wrote:

> Good morning Micronetters, custom built system, non-UC  owned here on
> campus has crashed.  The owner of this system is looking for data
> recovery options in this area.  Any suggestions for them?
>
> Thanks
>
> David D. Lee
>
> Campus Shared Services IT
>
> http://sharedservices.berkeley.edu <http://sharedservices.berkeley.edu/>
>
> To submit a request, please go to
>
> https://shared-services-help.berkeley.edu/
>
> or call 664-9000, option 1, option 4, then option 2

"...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon,
the mathematical puzzles, and the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

Re: [Micronet] Data recovery from non-uc owned system

Jae Y. Shin
We ordered the motherboard. So the plan is if we cannot fix the computer with the new motherboard we will contact one of the companies you suggested to retrieve the data.

Thank you very much for your help.
All the best,

Jae Yen.