[Micronet] Declaring Projects Dead (or at least dying)

[Micronet] Declaring Projects Dead (or at least dying)

jon kuroda-2
Tom Holub, wrote in another thread:

Tom> That project [Bedeworks/CalAgenda-NG] is dead; see the Micronet thread
Tom> on outsourcing calendaring and "collaboration tools."

Is Bedeworks actually dead? It certainly seems that way between the
"Productivity Suite"[1] proposal moving forward as well as Paul Fisher's
departure to Twitter, but I don't anyone involved with the project
has actually said that out loud - say on Micronet

For that matter, how long until CalMail (as we know it) gets Googl'd
or MSLive365'd? That proposal named e-mail as another service to be
outsourced along with Calendaring and Office/Doc Suites.

Call me old-fashioned, but if projects get canned for one reason or
another, I'd like for someone who can speak for the canned project
to say so instead of just letting it expire silent on the table, or
in the case of the "Productivity Suite" proposal, I'd like to hear
"these projects have all been superseded by this new one."

--Jon
[1]http://oe.berkeley.edu/dpreports/documents/I_ITGovernance_ResReq_041211.pdf

Re: [Micronet] Declaring Projects Dead (or at least dying)

Michael R Mundrane
Colleagues,

While the CalMail/CalAgenda team has talked with many Bedework
stakeholders individually, Jon is right that there has not been a campus
announcement about the status of Bedework.  It became clear that the
cost and complexity of implementing the Bedework solution was going
to be significantly greater than had been originally estimated.  Based
on this,
the Bedework project has been canceled.

As part of the OE Productivity Suite (PS) project we are evaluating other
solutions for replacing both email and calendar. The OE PS project
is just getting kicked off and we will have additional information to
share about it in the coming 3-4 weeks.  We will also be soliciting input
from the IT community more formally.

In the interim, if you have questions or comments about email, calendar or
the productivity suite in general, you can contact the project team at
[hidden email].

Regards,

Michael.

On 8/8/11 1:39 AM, jon kuroda wrote:

> Tom Holub, wrote in another thread:
>
> Tom>  That project [Bedeworks/CalAgenda-NG] is dead; see the Micronet thread
> Tom>  on outsourcing calendaring and "collaboration tools."
>
> Is Bedeworks actually dead? It certainly seems that way between the
> "Productivity Suite"[1] proposal moving forward as well as Paul Fisher's
> departure to Twitter, but I don't anyone involved with the project
> has actually said that out loud - say on Micronet
>
> For that matter, how long until CalMail (as we know it) gets Googl'd
> or MSLive365'd? That proposal named e-mail as another service to be
> outsourced along with Calendaring and Office/Doc Suites.
>
> Call me old-fashioned, but if projects get canned for one reason or
> another, I'd like for someone who can speak for the canned project
> to say so instead of just letting it expire silent on the table, or
> in the case of the "Productivity Suite" proposal, I'd like to hear
> "these projects have all been superseded by this new one."
>
> --Jon
> [1]http://oe.berkeley.edu/dpreports/documents/I_ITGovernance_ResReq_041211.pdf

Dr. Michael R Mundrane
Deputy Chief Information Officer
University of California, Berkeley

Phone: 510.642.6365    Cell: 510.457.5128    Fax: 510.643.5385