[Micronet] Dell == Junk

Adam Cohen
Is it just me or is the already low quality deteriorating even further?

Our failure rate had always seemed high, certainly higher than desirable, but now brand new equipment is arriving DOA.

-new Optiplex 390,, arrived a week  ago, after a few days exhibiting signs of failing hard drive.  After replacement drive failed, further inspection of the system revealed a damaged SATA cable that had become dislodged from the motherboard.

-new Optiplex 9010, arrived today, DOA won't boot.  After telephone diagnosis and dispatch of a replacement HD, opening the case revealed a cracked SATA cable connector at the drive end complete with the little bit of broken plastic.  No connection to drive.

-batch of new Optiplex systems, all burned with a corrupt BIOS that doesn't display the Dell boot logo correctly.

Sorry for the rant but if others are experiencing the same, then we should be asking our sourcing team to get involved.

--
Adam Cohen / IT Manager
Energy Biosciences Institute / UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Dell == Junk

Jon Johnsen
In my 12+ years here, using only Dell hardware, we've had one DOA system, about five years ago.
Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office
433 University Hall
School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
510 643-4357
On 11/27/2012 9:20 AM, Adam Cohen wrote:
[...]

Lawrence Sweet
My experience has been similar and I can only conclude, with my cross section of 60 units identical machines refreshed every 2-3 years, that Dell is on a monotonically downward quality trend that perhaps had a (hopefully local) maxima at 2008 or so.

Lawrence

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 27, 2012, at 9:20 AM, "Adam Cohen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Seth Novogrodsky

We’ve recently seen issues with Dell Latitude laptops, and just now one of my users complained about sticky keys on a fairly new Dell keyboard that came bundled with an OptiPlex.

Seth

Re: [Micronet] Dell == Junk

Monica Mack
My Optiplex 980 had intermittent issues since the day it arrived. Finally turned out to be loose cable to hard drive. Things seem to be stable since fixing that issue.

Monica

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Seth Novogrodsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Monica Mack RCDD, System Design Analyst & Project Coordination
UC Berkeley, IST-Telecommunications
2484 Shattuck Ave. MC1640, Berkeley, CA 94720-4889
(Ofc) 643-8605, (FAX) 642-4068
[hidden email]
CNS Home Page:                         http://cns.berkeley.edu/
CNS Standards Documents:         http://ist.berkeley.edu/is/nso/pm-sd/standards
             _._
          .-'   `
        __|__
       /     \
       |()_()|
       \{o o}/
        =\o/=
         ^ ^

Re: [Micronet] Dell == Junk

Guy D. VINSON
I routinely open every Dell we order and give it a once over before firing it up for the first time, I will check all the cables, re-seat the ram and give it a close inspection. Not saying we should have to do this but I would rather discover a problem before I have spent time doing further work on it. This is not a knock at Dell but a realization that "stuff" can work loose in shipping.

---
Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
University of California at Berkeley
510-842-7199

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Monica MACK <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

2151 Berkeley Way, Room 212-A / <a href="tel:510-642-7709" value="+15106427709" target="_blank">510-642-7709

Monica Mack RCDD, System Design Analyst & Project Coordination
UC Berkeley, IST-Telecommunications
2484 Shattuck Ave. MC1640, Berkeley, CA 94720-4889
(Ofc) 643-8605, (FAX) 642-4068
[hidden email]
CNS Home Page:                         http://cns.berkeley.edu/
CNS Standards Documents:         http://ist.berkeley.edu/is/nso/pm-sd/standards
             _._
          .-'   `
        __|__
       /     \
       |()_()|
       \{o o}/
        =\o/=
         ^ ^

Re: [Micronet] Dell == Junk

Claudia A. WATERS

We have been using Dells for many years and they have been great.  There was an issue many years ago with GX270s and they came and replaced all the motherboards.  We have a 3 year contract on a printer in our lab and they have replaced it without cost the next day if there is a problem.  Some Dell reps are better than others.  Working with Dell has simplified our imaging and maintenance process.  I think the JACS models also are well selected.

The keyboards and mice are not my favorite and we often replace with Microsoft versions that are sturdier and more ergonomic.  If the keyboard sticks, tell them to replace it. Everybody is competing for the lowest cost, so you just have to call them to replace what doesn’t work—but do it early.

Claudia

Re: [Micronet] Dell == Junk

Tholfaqar A. Mardan
I am not surprised when someone mention the continuous deterioration of Dell computer quality, given the fact that one of the Rams in My recently purchased Dell XPS 8300 had failed.

good job Dell.

Dolf
Tholfaqar A. Mardan,

Programmer/Analyst III,

UC Berkeley,

Mechanical Engineering Dept.,

Computer Mechanics Lab.,

5150 Etcheverry Hall,

Office Phone: 510 - 642 - 7642

[hidden email]

On 11/27/2012 10:22 AM, Monica MACK wrote:
My Optiplex 980 had intermittent issues since the day it arrived. Finally turned out to be loose cable to hard drive. Things seem to be stable since fixing that issue.

Monica

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Seth Novogrodsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

We’ve recently seen issues with Dell Latitude laptops, and just now one of my users complained about sticky keys on a fairly new Dell keyboard that came bundled with an OptiPlex.

Seth

Re: [Micronet] Dell == Junk

Richard DeShong-2
I can feel the frustration of the original poster, Adam, but the picture
being painted here is way too incomplete.  Even the following posts that
were negative do not seem to fit with the original poster's issues.   Rather
than ranting here (I know how good it feels), maybe it would be better to
give this information to campus purchasing (which Adam probably already has
done).  That way they can compare it properly to purchases without incident
and monitor the issue rate.
--
Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst
Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley

[...]
http://www.energybiosciencesinstitute.org

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

[...]

Ryan Lovett
On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 07:14:21PM -0800, Richard DeShong wrote:
> Rather than ranting here (I know how good it feels), maybe it would be
> better to give this information to campus purchasing (which Adam
> probably already has done). That way they can compare it properly to
> purchases without incident and monitor the issue rate.

Does anyone know if campus is given annual data on repair incidents called
in to BearBuy vendors? It'd be good to know if campus staff spend a
disproportionate amount of time making calls on a particular vendor's
equipment.

We maintain ledgers on calls we have to make and I wouldn't mind sending
that data to someone if it meant vendors had to be more accountable.

Ryan