[Micronet] Departmental bMail accounts

SERGEY SHEVTCHENKO
Hi Micronet!

We often use departmental email accounts to have multiple individuals send emails from one account, and do not want the identify of the actual sender. Recently, we've started seeing Google list the individual senders' email address next to the departmental one ("on behalf of..."), while Outlook has not been shoing the departmental address at all. With all the phishing going on, this effect only confuses our recipients.

How is everyone getting around this issue? We could set-up email client instances configured to talk to the departmental account directly, thus avoiding delegation, but I'm hoping there is a more elegant solution to this problem.

Thanks for your advice,

Sergey Shevtchenko
Interim IT Director
Goldman School of Public Policy
University of California, Berkeley
tel.: (510) 643-0077

Re: [Micronet] Departmental bMail accounts

Christopher Brooks
Personally, I prefer to get a message from a real person instead of someone hiding behind an email alias.

I've also seen people be kinder in their responses when an individual takes ownership of the message.  Most people find it much easier to be abusive to a robot than to a person.

The worst was when someone was sending email for the chancellor around the Occupy protests and it was not actually the chancellor who sent the email.  When he returned from China, he personally responded and had a much different tone.  In reviewing messages from the chancellor, it was very obvious that at least two people were writing emails from that account because the subject line and tense differed.

There is this tension where VIPs like the Chancellor are too busy to craft their own emails, so they would like someone else to send it.  However, it is best if the sender reads the message before it is sent in their name.

There is much to be gained by having individuals send departmental email.

_Christopher

On 2/24/14 12:31 PM, Sergey Shevtchenko wrote:
[...]

Academic Program Manager & Software Engineer  US Mail: 337 Cory Hall
CHESS/iCyPhy/Ptolemy/TerraSwarm               Berkeley, CA 94720-1774
[hidden email], 707.332.0670           (Office: 545Q Cory)

Re: [Micronet] Departmental bMail accounts

Jay Bryon
Excellent point, although for some functions, it's better to have the abstraction layer of a departmental email for things that require continuity despite staff changes.
(sorry I don't have an answer for the original question).
-J

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Christopher Brooks <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Senior Network Engineer, U.C. Berkeley/IST/IS/Network Operations and Services
2-5636

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
-Voltaire

[Unless stated explicitly otherwise, all opinions are my own and do not represent official policy of any part of IST, U.C. Berkeley or the U.C. Regents]

Re: [Micronet] Departmental bMail accounts

SERGEY SHEVTCHENKO
Thank you Micronetters!

The feedback was valuable and much appreciated. Apart from setting up Outlook instances, one can also share the Google Key for the departmental account with all the users and have them access the account directly. The advantages are that the users are not tied to particular computers and can use the same web interface they're used to. The disadvantages are the need to use another browser for authentication and the obvious security concern.

Thanks again for your help.

Sergey Shevtchenko