[Micronet] Dependent Eligibility

Ann Geyer
In response to the question about the vendor managing the Dependent Eligibility Verification survey, I received the following information from UCOP HR: " Secova's corporate headquarters is in Newport Beach, CA and the call center is in New Jersey.  No information in paper or electronic format will be stored off shore.  UC policy is to work with vendors who can guarantee documents remain within the United States.  All documents will be destroyed at the end of the verification process, on site at the New Jersey location."

Please email me directly if there are any additional questions or concerns.

Ann Geyer
Chief Privacy Officer
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst, MS4878
Berkeley, CA 94720
510-847-1579 (cell)

Re: [Micronet] Dependent Eligibility

George Marinos

Can you post the contract so we can determine if policy is being followed

Re: [Micronet] Dependent Eligibility

Guy D. VINSON
How will we know policy is being followed? I'm old enough to know that not everyone, especially companies and politicians, give you the straight story when it is in their best interest (read profit) to do otherwise.
---
Guy Vinson
Infrastructure & IT
College of Environmental Design
510-842-7199

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 5:02 PM, George Marinos <[hidden email]> wrote:

Can you post the contract so we can determine if policy is being followed

In response to the question about the vendor managing the Dependent Eligibility Verification survey, I received the following information from UCOP HR: " Secova's corporate headquarters is in Newport Beach, CA and the call center is in New Jersey.  No information in paper or electronic format will be stored off shore.  UC policy is to work with vendors who can guarantee documents remain within the United States.  All documents will be destroyed at the end of the verification process, on site at the New Jersey location."

Please email me directly if there are any additional questions or concerns.

Ann Geyer
Chief Privacy Officer
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst, MS4878
Berkeley, CA 94720

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] Dependent Eligibility

Christopher Brooks
On March 20, Guy Vinson wrote:
Does anyone in the campus IT community have any idea where data collected by the company hired by the University to conduct a benefits audit will be going?

Secova being a company based in India I would guess all those documents, birth records, Social Security numbers, and tax returns will be outsourced to data centers in India. If that is the case it makes me more than a bit uneasy in spite of Secova's "policy" to comply with US laws governing data.
I was curious, so I looked in to this further.

LexisNexis shows that there is Secova, Inc. and Secova Eservices, both located at the same address in Newport Beach.

[LexisNexis can be access from UCB machines via http://www.lexisnexis.com/us/lnacademic/.  Off-campus, try the Library proxy.]

The entry for Secova Eservices has "Headquarters" checked along with "Company Type" as "Private-Parent"

The entry for Secova, Inc. has nothing for Headquarters or Company Type.

However

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=11168646
indicates that Secovia Eservices is based in Chennai, India:

The company was founded in 2003 and is headquartered in Chennai, India with additional offices in Brick, New Jersey; and Huntington Beach, California.

Hoovers, available at
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/BUSI/databases_A-Z.html
Lists three companies:
Secova, Inc.,  Newport Beach
Secova Eservices, Inc.,  Newport Beach
Secova eServices Limited, Chennai

Hoovers says that the ultimate parent company of the two Newport Beach organizations is Chennai.

I'm not a business guy, but it seems to be true that there is a corporation in Newport Beach whose headquarters is there.  However, that corporation is owned by an offshore corporation.

I'm not sure which one to believe, but I'm not sure it really matters.

For many years, credit card companies had their call centers overseas.  They probably still do.  My position is that my personal data has already left country.  Ian mentioned that marriage information is in the public record.  I've found that access to marriage certificates varies.  In Alameda county, it is possible for a third part to get an informational copy of a marriage certificate if it was not a confidential marriage and the names are known. Lists of marriages seem to only be available after many years, though this varies as well. Access to property records also varies.  It used to be easy to get names, now it is more difficult.

It is likely that the contract is with Secova, Inc., located in Newport Beach and the call center is in Brick, NJ.  The parent company is in India, but it is unlikely that the parent is handling the data.  The parent company could have access to the data, but nothing I saw indicates that they do.

I agree that we have no way of knowing if the data is staying within the US, but it *could* stay within the US and probably does.  If Secova is fairly small, so they have quite a bit to lose if they said that the data was staying within the US and it was sent overseas.

My reading of the mailing had nothing very specific about privacy protection such as the data not leaving the US, but I may have missed something.  It would be interesting to see where the email server and web server are hosted.

Military contractors have similar corporate ownership arrangements, see for example how BAE (A UK organization) handles their US sales (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Systems#United_States).
Plenty of other corporations are incorporated offshore, see Accenture.

_Christopher

On 3/25/12 2:16 PM, Ian Crew wrote:
[...]

<a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:510-847-1579" value="+15108471579" target="_blank">510-847-1579 (cell)

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor

ph: 510.643.9841                                (Office: 545Q Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 cell: 707.332.0670

Re: [Micronet] Dependent Eligibility

tkwagner

I received my packet in the mail over the weekend. I too am somewhat hesitant to be sending personal info to anyone regardless of where they are located onshore *or* offshore.

If you are claiming a spouse as a beneficiary and choose to use your tax return as proof, they TELL you to redact your personal info including SSN and salary info (they provide an example of what they want you to do). They only want to see your name, your spouse’s name, your address and your filing status (i.e., married/filing joint return). This may not help those who file separately but for those of us who do file joint returns, it makes it a wee-bit more palatable to use this option.

Todd K. Wagner

Audit and Business Continuity

Campus IT – Infrastructure Services
University of California, Berkeley

2195 Hearst Avenue, 225-15
Berkeley, California 94720-4874
(510) 642-5346 (office)
(510) 812-7332 (mobile)

[...]

Christopher Brooks, PMP                       University of California
CHESS Executive Director                      US Mail: 337 Cory Hall
Programmer/Analyst CHESS/Ptolemy/Trust        Berkeley, CA 94720-1774
ph: 510.643.9841                                (Office: 545Q Cory)
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 cell: 707.332.0670

Re: [Micronet] Dependent Eligibility

Luke Rockwell

I believe this issue should be taken up with university human recourses and not the micronet mailing list as this list is for computer issues

Re: [Micronet] Dependent Eligibility

Michael Sinatra-3
On 03/26/12 09:35, Luke Rockwell wrote:
> I believe this issue should be taken up with university human recourses
> and not the micronet mailing list as this list is for computer issues

This thread falls under the general rubric of information technology.
As computer people often have to struggle with ensuring that users do
not give out inappropriate information online, there is a fairly strong
relationship between these sorts of requests and the things we have to
worry about in our jobs.

I have been loathe to police Micronet over the years because I think for
some issues (those that don't directly involve sensitive security
threats and the like), the open discussion forum of Micronet is superior
when it comes to issues of general IT interest.  This, as opposed to a
restricted list where interested parties cannot see the outcome of the
discussion.

Besides, we're computer people.  We know how to deal with chatty mailing
lists. :)

michael

Re: [Micronet] Dependent Eligibility

Guy D. VINSON
Since I raised this topic in the first place let me apologize if my question was inappropriate for this list. My concern was in the release  of personal data to outside vendors. I am routinely asked to scan staff computers for restricted data and to remove or encrypt that data if found. Does our concern and duty stop at simply covering the University's kiester or do we have a larger duty to the people we support to raise issues we feel could impact them. I have been reassured by several HR people that this personal data would not be going offshore and would be destroyed once the need for it had passed, they knew this because that is what they were told.
---

gts

Re: [Micronet] Dependent Eligibility

Aron Roberts
I'm in agreement with Michael: this topic appears pertinent, even if a
bit peripheral, to Micronet.

However, I'd also concur with the earlier suggestion that one or more
Micronetters might volunteer to take this concern - over handling of
personal documents submitted to a specific outside provider, under
contract to UC - to the appropriate parties and report back to the
list with their findings.  That might be ultimately more effective
than solely discussing this issue here on the list.

Aron Roberts
Information Services and Technology

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Michael Sinatra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/26/12 09:35, Luke Rockwell wrote:
>> I believe this issue should be taken up with university human recourses
>> and not the micronet mailing list as this list is for computer issues
>
> This thread falls under the general rubric of information technology.
> As computer people often have to struggle with ensuring that users do
> not give out inappropriate information online, there is a fairly strong
> relationship between these sorts of requests and the things we have to
> worry about in our jobs.
>
> I have been loathe to police Micronet over the years because I think for
> some issues (those that don't directly involve sensitive security
> threats and the like), the open discussion forum of Micronet is superior
> when it comes to issues of general IT interest.  This, as opposed to a
> restricted list where interested parties cannot see the outcome of the
> discussion.
>
> Besides, we're computer people.  We know how to deal with chatty mailing
> lists. :)
>
> michael

Re: [Micronet] Dependent Eligibility

Ferenc KOVAC

So, if it’s public record, why do they ask for it?

Do they not trust what info UC is sharing with them already?

One can make up a bogus tax return easily and put the Donald as a dependent, eh?

The whole thing feels quite suspect and unnerving,

Ferenc

Re: [Micronet] Dependent Eligibility

Lawrence Sweet
It increases their profit by offloading the work normally done by the insurance company onto the enrollees.

Many corporations are doing this now.

Lawrence
.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,
Lawrence Sweet
Applications Programmer II
ECSM
Haas School of Business
University of California, Berkeley
Bakar Computer Center
Cell 925-324-2855
.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,

In response to the question about the vendor managing the Dependent Eligibility Verification survey, I received the following information from UCOP HR: " Secova's corporate headquarters is in Newport Beach, CA and the call center is in New Jersey.  No information in paper or electronic format will be stored off shore.  UC policy is to work with vendors who can guarantee documents remain within the United States.  All documents will be destroyed at the end of the verification process, on site at the New Jersey location."

Please email me directly if there are any additional questions or concerns.

Ann Geyer

Chief Privacy Officer

University of California, Berkeley

2195 Hearst, MS4878

Berkeley, CA 94720

510-847-1579<tel:510-847-1579> (cell)

[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

http://micronet.berkeley.edu<http://micronet.berkeley.edu/>

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
http://hub.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Dependent Eligibility

Lucy Greco
The funny thing was I did it a while ago and got a confirmation write a way.
then as I was going through my mail at home there was a please do this now
reminder sent the day after they sent the thank you for doing this. I sure
hope they are not  charging ux for the number of reminders they are sending.
I am not kidding they really did say thank you one day and a day later send
out another letter saying get it done.

In response to the question about the vendor managing the Dependent Eligibility Verification survey, I received the following information from UCOP HR: " Secova's corporate headquarters is in Newport Beach, CA and the call center is in New Jersey.  No information in paper or electronic format will be stored off shore.  UC policy is to work with vendors who can guarantee documents remain within the United States.  All documents will be destroyed at the end of the verification process, on site at the New Jersey location."

Please email me directly if there are any additional questions or concerns.

Ann Geyer

Chief Privacy Officer

University of California, Berkeley

2195 Hearst, MS4878

Berkeley, CA 94720

510-847-1579<tel:510-847-1579> (cell)

[hidden email][hidden email]

http://micronet.berkeley.edu<http://micronet.berkeley.edu/>

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
http://hub.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Dependent Eligibility

secabeen
Can you all please take this off-list?  It's gotten way off-topic for
Micronet.

--Ted