[Micronet] Device pairing on AirBears

Scot Hacker
Our staff (KDMC) make heavy use of the Keynote Remote app for iPhone to control Keynote presentations while teaching (it's much better than a simple clicker because you can see your presenter notes and slides at the same time).

Keynote Remote requires both devices to be on the same network, and for an authentication code to be verified.

For all of us, it always works perfectly on home wifi networks. But on AirBears, it's intermittent from day to day. Yesterday, none of us could connect iPhones to Keynotes over AirBears, and we had to resort to messy workarounds.  But today it's working for all us. It wasn't just a problem yesterday - we've seen this kind of intermittent behavior before.

At first I thought it was a discrepancy in the IP pools our devices were being assigned, e.g. a laptop on 10.10.88.xxx and a phone on 10.10.91.xxx . But today we have the same kind of discrepancies but the connections are working fine.

Does anyone know what factors in AirBears affect device pairing?

Thanks,
Scot

--
Scot Hacker
Webmaster, Knight Digital Media Center

Re: [Micronet] Device pairing on AirBears

Isaac Orr
Scot,

Your description of the problem that you are experiencing does not
provide all the information that we would need to make a clear
determination of what issues may exist with your application's
interaction with AirBears.

If this continues to be a concern and you would like someone to look
into it in more depth, I would encourage you to open a ticket with the
IST Service desk:

http://ist.berkeley.edu/support/service-desk

Regards

Isaac

--
Isaac Simon Orr
Manager, Network Operations and Services

On 6/3/11 9:06 AM, Scot Hacker wrote:

> Our staff (KDMC) make heavy use of the Keynote Remote app for iPhone
> to control Keynote presentations while teaching (it's much better
> than a simple clicker because you can see your presenter notes and
> slides at the same time).
>
> Keynote Remote requires both devices to be on the same network, and
> for an authentication code to be verified.
>
> For all of us, it always works perfectly on home wifi networks. But
> on AirBears, it's intermittent from day to day. Yesterday, none of us
> could connect iPhones to Keynotes over AirBears, and we had to resort
> to messy workarounds.  But today it's working for all us. It wasn't
> just a problem yesterday - we've seen this kind of intermittent
> behavior before.
>
> At first I thought it was a discrepancy in the IP pools our devices
> were being assigned, e.g. a laptop on 10.10.88.xxx and a phone on
> 10.10.91.xxx . But today we have the same kind of discrepancies but
> the connections are working fine.
>
> Does anyone know what factors in AirBears affect device pairing?
>
> Thanks, Scot
>

> -- Scot Hacker Webmaster, Knight Digital Media Center UC Berkeley
> Graduate School of Journalism http://kdmc.berkeley.edu

> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
> This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your
> bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the
> past.

Re: [Micronet] Device pairing on AirBears

Kin Jung
Scot,

If you find a solution, would you mind sharing with the group?

Thanks!

Kin

On Jun 3, 2011, at 2:58 PM, Kin Jung wrote:

> Scot,
>
> If you find a solution, would you mind sharing with the group?
>
> Thanks!

Sure thing. After device pairing working perfectly all day today, it suddenly stopped working while I was in the middle of giving a presentation a few minutes ago - embarrassing. I'll file a ticket and report back what we figure out.

./s

--
http://twitter.com/kdmcinfo
http://journalism.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Device pairing on AirBears

Scot Hacker
Thanks Gary Thomas for coming out today to help figure this out. Here's the scoop:

When a device makes a wifi connection it will find the access point with the strongest signal. In a campus environment, there are often multiple APs within range. If they have similar signal strengths, it can be a toss-up which one gets connected to. If both the computer and the phone connect to the same AP, device-to-device connection is possible and the pairing works. If they connect to different ones, all packets get routed through a NAT device  to a different network, then NAT'd back to the 10.10 network. If the pairing software hangs on to the original IP address, the communication fails.

This works:
        AP
Comp. Phone

This doesn't:

        AP1 --- AP2
Comp Phone

The problem can be mitigated by turning the signal strength of nearby APs up or down so your devices will favor one over the others. But only IST can do that, and it's a bad workaround, obviously. The real solution is for the pairing software to not hang on to the original IP so tightly.

Additionally, the AP in our presentation room has two radios in it, and we actually saw my phone connect to one, then the other, within 15 minutes (so it worked for a while, then it didn't).

On top of all that, coming reconfigurations in the campus network mean this kind of pairing will no longer be possible at all (for security reasons). Half of campus is already reconfigured. So even if we could get this working reliably now, it won't be possible at all within six weeks. The only solution is for Apple to rewrite the pairing stuff in Keynote and Keynote Remote.

Short version: Don't count on controlling Keynote presentations from an iPhone on campus. The only other workaround is to create your own mini network via ethernet from the computer, then create a personal wifi network available only to the phone.

Scot