[Micronet] Discontinued support for IE8 by Google Mail

12

[Micronet] Discontinued support for IE8 by Google Mail

Bruce Satow
I see Google Mail is discontinuing support for Internet Explorer 8 on November 15, 2012.

http://googleappsupdates.blogspot.com/2012/09/supporting-modern-browsers-internet.htm

Doesn't The Berkeley Financial System (BFS), BAIRS, etc. only support up to IE8 and Firefox 3.6?

How will this affect the timeline for the Calmail migration to Gmail?

--
Bruce Satow
University of California at Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Discontinued support for IE8 by Google Mail

Graham Patterson

I would hope that those are not the only browser options available on
these machines 8-) I requested a KB modification for the Google Apps
entry about this recently.

I expect a similar solution to the one being used for CalTime (RDP) may
come to pass. Any more detailed discussion should probably go to
ucb-security.

Graham

On 10/1/12 2:15 PM, Bruce Satow wrote:

> I see Google Mail is discontinuing support for Internet Explorer 8 on November
> 15, 2012.
>
> http://googleappsupdates.blogspot.com/2012/09/supporting-modern-browsers-internet.htm
>
> Doesn't The Berkeley Financial System (BFS), BAIRS, etc. only support up to IE8
> and Firefox 3.6?
>

> How will this affect the timeline for the Calmail migration to Gmail?
>

> --
> *Bruce Satow*
> University of California at Berkeley
> Space Sciences Laboratory
> 7 Gauss Way
> Berkeley, California 94720-7450
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> (510) 643-2348
>
> /Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes/

Re: [Micronet] Discontinued support for IE8 by Google Mail

paul rivers

There's a plan underway to provide terminal server access for BAIRS,
and eliminate the need to maintain software that's out of compliance
with MSSND on desktops.

Hopefully the BAIRS folks will chime in with timelines?  I believe
they are very close.  We had a presentation from the EDW team a few
meetings ago at the Security Operations Workgroup.

SNS has not to date issued tickets for out of date browsers seen on
the network.  We are looking to do that, beginning in March of 2013.
As part of this, we're trying to make sure any campus applications
that have dated browser requirements find solutions that are in
keeping with minimum security standards.

Regards,
Paul

On 10/01/2012 02:15 PM, Bruce Satow wrote:

> I see Google Mail is discontinuing support for Internet Explorer 8
> on November 15, 2012.
>
> http://googleappsupdates.blogspot.com/2012/09/supporting-modern-browsers-internet.htm
>
>  Doesn't The Berkeley Financial System (BFS), BAIRS, etc. only
> support up to IE8 and Firefox 3.6?
>

> How will this affect the timeline for the Calmail migration to
> Gmail?
>

> -- *Bruce Satow* University of California at Berkeley Space
> Sciences Laboratory 7 Gauss Way Berkeley, California 94720-7450
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> (510)
> 643-2348
>
> /Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes/

> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
> known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Discontinued support for IE8 by Google Mail

paul rivers

Re: [Micronet] Discontinued support for IE8 by Google Mail

Lawrence Sweet
I'm able to run multiple IE instances via thinApp app virtualization; this is one way we are getting prepared for the unexpected/expected last minute requests for training sessions in our lab that generally have some particular browser requirement (such as the Berkeley hyperion plugin used in the BAIRS architecture).

Bear Buy offers a substantial VMware ThinApp discount, btw.

Lawrence
AP II
ECSM/HAAS
UCB
510.868.8858

I would hope that those are not the only browser options available on these machines 8-) I requested a KB modification for the Google Apps entry about this recently.

I expect a similar solution to the one being used for CalTime (RDP) may come to pass. Any more detailed discussion should probably go to ucb-security.

Graham

On 10/1/12 2:15 PM, Bruce Satow wrote:

> I see Google Mail is discontinuing support for Internet Explorer 8 on
> November 15, 2012.
>
> http://googleappsupdates.blogspot.com/2012/09/supporting-modern-browse
> rs-internet.htm
>
> Doesn't The Berkeley Financial System (BFS), BAIRS, etc. only support
> up to IE8 and Firefox 3.6?
>

> How will this affect the timeline for the Calmail migration to Gmail?
>

> --
> *Bruce Satow*
> University of California at Berkeley
> Space Sciences Laboratory
> 7 Gauss Way
> Berkeley, California 94720-7450
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> (510) 643-2348
>
> /Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes/

"...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon, the mathematical puzzles, and the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

Re: [Micronet] Discontinued support for IE8 by Google Mail

Greg Merritt

On Oct 1, 2012, at 2:36 PM, paul rivers wrote:

> There's a plan underway to provide terminal server access for BAIRS,

https://google.com/search?q="bairs"+citrix+site:berkeley.edu

*snicker*

Plus ├ža change.....!  :)

Re: [Micronet] Discontinued support for IE8 by Google Mail

paul rivers

Yep, no doubt!  What we're hoping to do is discourage future
disclosures that attackers would find helpful by routing such
discussions to a less public list.  Many horses are long out of the
barn and happily grazing in the pasture-- the happy horse problem
strikes again.

Paul

On 10/01/2012 04:00 PM, Bruce Satow wrote:

> True, but it's not much of a secret when the info is already
> publicly available..

> What Graham said!  Micronet is archived, and there's ample
> evidence attackers are using that and other public information to
> better target their attacks.  It's not paranoia if they really are
> out to get you.
>
> If anyone on Micronet is unfamiliar with the UCB-security list:
>
> https://security.berkeley.edu/ucb-security
>
> Regards, Paul

>> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and
>> searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be
>> viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and
>> people who have known you in the past.
>
> -- *Bruce Satow* University of California at Berkeley Space
> Sciences Laboratory 7 Gauss Way Berkeley, California 94720-7450
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> (510)
> 643-2348
>
> /Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes/

> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
> known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Discontinued support for IE8 by Google Mail

Bruce Satow
The browser limitations aren't because of security issues but rather incompatibility issues.  BFS, BAIRS, etc.. do not function properly in any browser version greater than the ones certified.

Campus departmental bookkeeping and accounting heavily rely on the use BFS and BAIRS.  Even though computers can be running Windows 7,  they can ONLY use IE8 and Firefox 3.6.  They cannot upgrade their browsers.

Oh well...

On 10/1/2012 2:35 PM, Graham Patterson wrote:
[...]

[hidden email] [hidden email]
(510) 643-2348

/Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes/

Bruce Satow
University of California at Berkeley
Space Sciences Laboratory
7 Gauss Way
Berkeley, California 94720-7450

Re: [Micronet] Discontinued support for IE8 by Google Mail

Jon Johnsen
So it looks like Windows 8 may be a no starter for a lot of campus folks.
Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office
433 University Hall
School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
510 643-4357
On 10/1/2012 5:28 PM, Bruce Satow wrote:
[...]

I don't suppose many people doing support at the 'sharp end' think that
fixing central systems' shortcomings at the desktop is a good idea.
Compliance should be initiated at, or very near, the service. CalTime
should be an interesting development in this respect.

Graham

On 10/1/12 5:28 PM, Bruce Satow wrote:

> The browser limitations aren't because of security issues but rather
> incompatibility issues.  BFS, BAIRS, etc.. do not function properly in any
> browser version greater than the ones certified.
>
> Campus departmental bookkeeping and accounting heavily rely on the use BFS and
> BAIRS.  Even though computers can be running Windows 7, they can ONLY use IE8
> and Firefox 3.6.  They cannot upgrade their browsers.
>
> Oh well...
>

> On 10/1/2012 2:35 PM, Graham Patterson wrote:
>> I would hope that those are not the only browser options available on
>> these machines 8-) I requested a KB modification for the Google Apps
>> entry about this recently.
>>
>> I expect a similar solution to the one being used for CalTime (RDP) may
>> come to pass. Any more detailed discussion should probably go to
>> ucb-security.
>>

>> Graham
>>
>> On 10/1/12 2:15 PM, Bruce Satow wrote:
>>> I see Google Mail is discontinuing support for Internet Explorer 8 on November
>>> 15, 2012.
>>>
>>> http://googleappsupdates.blogspot.com/2012/09/supporting-modern-browsers-internet.htm
>>>
>>> Doesn't The Berkeley Financial System (BFS), BAIRS, etc. only support up to IE8
>>> and Firefox 3.6?
>>>

>>> How will this affect the timeline for the Calmail migration to Gmail?
>>>

>>> --
>>> *Bruce Satow*
>>> University of California at Berkeley
>>> Space Sciences Laboratory
>>> 7 Gauss Way
>>> Berkeley, California 94720-7450
>>> [hidden email]  <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>> (510) 643-2348
>>>
>>> /Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes/

>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>>>

> --
> *Bruce Satow*
> University of California at Berkeley
> Space Sciences Laboratory
> 7 Gauss Way
> Berkeley, California 94720-7450
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> (510) 643-2348
>
> /Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes/

Re: [Micronet] Discontinued support for IE8 by Google Mail

Jon Johnsen
A faculty member would like us to install SugarSync on a computer in
order to easily share files with other instructors.

Is this reasonable?

Would there be a reason(s) to suggest the campus Box service instead?

Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office
433 University Hall
School of Public Health, UC Berkeley

[Micronet] SugarSync or Box?

Jon Johnsen
Sorry for the previous improperly titled post.

On 10/2/2012 4:42 PM, Jon Johnsen wrote:

> A faculty member would like us to install SugarSync on a computer in
> order to easily share files with other instructors.
>
> Is this reasonable?
>
> Would there be a reason(s) to suggest the campus Box service instead?
>
> Jon Johnsen
> Information Systems Office
> 433 University Hall
> School of Public Health, UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] Discontinued support for IE8 by Google Mail

Michael Leung
I am in the final stage of testing of the new terminal servers for BAIRS.  I
will update the list when we have more information.  Essentially, we will be
using remote apps to initiate a BAIRS connection that can accommodate both
the html and the web client.  Reports can be saved via pdf and printed to
your local printer using the html client while you will have the additional
option of exporting it to excel in the web client.

We will maintain the browser and security patches on the remote apps servers
thus allowing campus users to use whichever browser on their desktop and use
the remote app to access BAIRS.

Mike

There's a plan underway to provide terminal server access for BAIRS, and
eliminate the need to maintain software that's out of compliance with MSSND
on desktops.

Hopefully the BAIRS folks will chime in with timelines?  I believe they are
very close.  We had a presentation from the EDW team a few meetings ago at
the Security Operations Workgroup.

SNS has not to date issued tickets for out of date browsers seen on the
network.  We are looking to do that, beginning in March of 2013.
As part of this, we're trying to make sure any campus applications that have
dated browser requirements find solutions that are in keeping with minimum
security standards.

Regards,
Paul

On 10/01/2012 02:15 PM, Bruce Satow wrote:

> I see Google Mail is discontinuing support for Internet Explorer 8 on
> November 15, 2012.
>
> http://googleappsupdates.blogspot.com/2012/09/supporting-modern-browse
> rs-internet.htm
>
>  Doesn't The Berkeley Financial System (BFS), BAIRS, etc. only support
> up to IE8 and Firefox 3.6?
>

> How will this affect the timeline for the Calmail migration to Gmail?
>

> -- *Bruce Satow* University of California at Berkeley Space Sciences
> Laboratory 7 Gauss Way Berkeley, California 94720-7450
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> (510)
> 643-2348
>
> /Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes/

> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
> This means these messages can be viewed by (among
> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known
> you in the past.

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Discontinued support for IE8 by Google Mail

Elise Woods
Are similar terminal servers to be implemented for BearBuy, CalPlanning,
HCM, BFS and other administrative systems on campus who depend on IE 8 now?
I know that CalTime has its "remote app" to access a different terminal
server that has been deployed with the first wave of exempt employees.
Would it make sense to have one terminal server access point for all of the
administrative systems that are now browser dependent to be coordinated into
one point of entry to access the applications?     I can envision having
multiple remote app icons on my desktop and that may not be the most
efficient way to deal with the unsupported IE8 problem.    Most of the
functional users of administrative systems on campus have to use multiple
applications to perform their daily work.

Is anyone in IT looking at this from a campus perspective to streamline this
effort?       Thanks, Elise

There's a plan underway to provide terminal server access for BAIRS, and
eliminate the need to maintain software that's out of compliance with MSSND
on desktops.

Hopefully the BAIRS folks will chime in with timelines?  I believe they are
very close.  We had a presentation from the EDW team a few meetings ago at
the Security Operations Workgroup.

SNS has not to date issued tickets for out of date browsers seen on the
network.  We are looking to do that, beginning in March of 2013.
As part of this, we're trying to make sure any campus applications that have
dated browser requirements find solutions that are in keeping with minimum
security standards.

Regards,
Paul

On 10/01/2012 02:15 PM, Bruce Satow wrote:

> I see Google Mail is discontinuing support for Internet Explorer 8 on
> November 15, 2012.
>
> http://googleappsupdates.blogspot.com/2012/09/supporting-modern-browse
> rs-internet.htm
>
>  Doesn't The Berkeley Financial System (BFS), BAIRS, etc. only support
> up to IE8 and Firefox 3.6?
>

> How will this affect the timeline for the Calmail migration to Gmail?
>

> -- *Bruce Satow* University of California at Berkeley Space Sciences
> Laboratory 7 Gauss Way Berkeley, California 94720-7450
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> (510)
> 643-2348
>
> /Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes/

> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
> This means these messages can be viewed by (among
> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known
> you in the past.

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

visit the Micronet Web site:

the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Discontinued support for IE8 by Google Mail

paul rivers

Hi Elise,

As a caveat to the below, I am not directly involved in this effort.
I believe I can summarize what's being done that would address the
concerns you raise, but if I get a detail wrong, hopefully someone
directly involved will correct me.

In the usual mode of running terminal server, a person first logs into
the terminal server, then they can launch applications on that remote
desktop.  The applications launched that way resize relative to that
remote desktop window.  The result is the applications feel a little
clunkier and remote compared to local applications.

There's a second way in which apps can be run from a terminal server:
RemoteApp mode.  This is a more recent piece of functionality, and so
it's not as familiar to many.  In this mode, the remote application
does not run inside that old familiar clunky TS window.  Instead, it
appears like a local application, and can be resized just like a local
application on the client desktop.   If multiple remote applications
are run from the same terminal server, the same terminal server
session is used to launch the remote app.

I believe it's this second RemoteApp mode that's being used here for
BAIRS.

Given the number of users involved for these campus applications, it's
not possible to deploy a single terminal server to handle the load.
Multiple terminal servers are needed.

Given the remote apps appear local, it's no longer so important to
have a single point of entry, because the user isn't visibly logging
into a remote desktop window first, then launching applications.
They're just launching applications.  In fact, given the need to scale
the load across multiple terminal servers, not having this RemoteApp
mode would make this approach very difficult from a capacity planning
standpoint.

Deploying other applications in this way will probably mean adding the
backend terminal servers to support this one app, then making the
application icon accessible directly on user desktops via the
RemoteApp feature.  It should not be necessary to go back and modify
terminal servers for other applications.

This segregation on the backend between different app terminal servers
will be useful for other operational details, too, such as upgrades
and maintenance windows.  One app's issues/upgrades should not affect
other apps deployed in this way.

Regards,
Paul

On 10/19/2012 03:56 PM, Elise Woods wrote:

> [...]
> applications that have dated browser requirements find solutions
> that are in keeping with minimum security standards.
>
> Regards, Paul
>

> On 10/01/2012 02:15 PM, Bruce Satow wrote:
>> I see Google Mail is discontinuing support for Internet Explorer
>> 8 on November 15, 2012.
>
>> http://googleappsupdates.blogspot.com/2012/09/supporting-modern-browse

rs-internet.htm

>> Doesn't The Berkeley Financial System (BFS), BAIRS, etc. only
>> support up to IE8 and Firefox 3.6?
>

>> How will this affect the timeline for the Calmail migration to
>> Gmail?
>

>> -- *Bruce Satow* University of California at Berkeley Space
>> Sciences Laboratory 7 Gauss Way Berkeley, California 94720-7450
>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> (510)
>> 643-2348
>
>> /Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes/

- ---

> The following was automatically added to this message by the list
> server:
>
>> To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or
>> unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about
>> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and
>> searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed
>> by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people
>> who have known you in the past.

> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
> known you in the past.

> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
> known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Discontinued support for IE8 by Google Mail

Nils Ohlson
Paul,

And will load-balancing between servers be "well served" (sorry!) by this RemoteApp approach? It *looks* like it to me but I'll cheerfully admit I don't follow all of the details. The reason I ask is that this was a *major major* issue back in the days when Citrix was used for BFS (and BAIRS) access, especially at first. If the server farm was not being accessed properly, i.e. in rotation, some users could find themselves frustrated trying to log in. If the number of servers wasn't enough for the total load, *no-one* was getting good service.

Thanks,
Nils
Nils Ohlson
Financial Services Analyst
College of Chemistry Business Office
(510) 642-1325 phone
(510) 642-4313 fax
[hidden email]
On 10/21/2012 1:04 PM, paul rivers wrote:

[...]

[[hidden email]] On Behalf Of
[...]

All,

Paul is correct, we will be using the remote application function of the terminal servers.  As Paul said, this will allow us much better control on the versioning and maintenance of the browser we use to support BAIRS.

The first server in the remote application farm has been in use for the past 2 weeks by testers, replacing the browsers on their desktops and the results are quite positive.  We are implementing a 5-server farm for BAIRS with the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th server scheduled to go on line this Wednesday.  We will be able to increase the capacity of the servers (RAM, CPU, etc) as needed without affecting the server farm and we will also be able add additional servers as needed.

We will go through another round of testing after the 4-server farm is ready this Wednesday, focusing on on/off campus access, availability, and “sticky” session settings in which an user will be directed to the same server over the course of the day.  We anticipate that we will be able to meet the “Google deadline” without any issue.

As for Nils’ concerns, I also remember the Citrix situation quite a few years back with all the printing problems, among other issues.  We will try to avoid the same issues this time around.

If anyone is interested in helping test the BAIRS remote app when it’s ready for the last stage of testing, please email me privately.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: [Micronet] Discontinued support for IE8 by Google Mail

mchiang

Hi All,

Thanks Michael for building out this BAIRS Terminal Server solution and getting it ready for broader testing. For those that are interested, the future state process for accessing BAIRS will be the following listed below. As Karen Kato mentioned, additional details and further info will be communicated at a later time.

Future State of Accessing BAIRS:

1.       User launches the BAIRS remote application icon, typically one would save it on their desktop

2.       Web browser will automatically launch and direct the user to the CalNet Authentication Service login page

3.       User signs in with his / her CalNet login credentials

4.       User will be logged into the BAIRS portal (Hyperion Workspace) and be ready to run reports

Feel free to reach out if there’s any clarifications needed. Thanks.

Regards,

Mark Chiang

Desk: +1 510 666 3758

Mobile: + 1 408 504 2593

[hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] Discontinued support for IE8 by Google Mail

Elise Woods

Thanks Mark,    do you have a date when this will go live?      Thanks, Elise