[Micronet] DropBox

Jon Johnsen
We are getting increasing demands from our users to install and support
the commodity DropBox.

Will campus be providing a better solution soon?  Real soon?

--
Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office

Re: [Micronet] DropBox

Luke Rockwell
Jon

Have a looked at the box.com solution campus already had in place?

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 14, 2012, at 8:20 AM, Jon Johnsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are getting increasing demands from our users to install and support
> the commodity DropBox.
>
> Will campus be providing a better solution soon?  Real soon?
>
> --
> Jon Johnsen
> Information Systems Office
> 433 University Hall
> School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
> 510 643-4357

Re: [Micronet] DropBox

Vivian Sophia
Campus is providing Box.Net

https://berkeley.box.com/login

On 9/14/12 8:19 AM, Jon Johnsen wrote:
> We are getting increasing demands from our users to install and support
> the commodity DropBox.
>
> Will campus be providing a better solution soon?  Real soon?

--
Vivian Sophia
LSCR desktop support partner

Re: [Micronet] DropBox

Richard Henderson
What my dept. needs in order to use Box is the availability of shared departmental accounts with larger quotas.  As I understand it, only personal accounts with a 25 GB limit are allowed.  We would like to consolidate our many DropBox folders and network drives in a single location, but we can't with the current Box offering.

Richard Henderson
Institute for Business Innovation
Haas School of Business

Have a looked at the box.com solution campus already had in place?

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 14, 2012, at 8:20 AM, Jon Johnsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are getting increasing demands from our users to install and support
> the commodity DropBox.
>
> Will campus be providing a better solution soon?  Real soon?
>
> --
> Jon Johnsen
> Information Systems Office
> 433 University Hall
> School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
> 510 643-4357

Re: [Micronet] DropBox

Yau-Man Chan-2
We are in the process of creating marketing material and preparing for a
formal launch of Berkeley.Box.com.  Here's is the initial information on
this: https://wikihub.berkeley.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=52465751

More information will be forthcoming.  Stay tuned.

Yau-Man Chan
Chief Technology Officer
College of Chemistry
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1460

Office: 510-643-1034
FAX: 510-643-6178
chemistry.berkeley.edu
[hidden email]

On 9/14/12 8:19 AM, Jon Johnsen wrote:
> We are getting increasing demands from our users to install and support
> the commodity DropBox.
>
> Will campus be providing a better solution soon?  Real soon?

Re: [Micronet] DropBox

Bernie Rossi
bCal users currently have the ability to use bDocs (bDrive).  The rest
of the @berkeley.edu will be able to use it when they transition to Google.

Thanks,

Bernie

On 9/14/12 8:22 AM, Vivian Sophia wrote:

> Campus is providing Box.Net
>
> https://berkeley.box.com/login
>
> On 9/14/12 8:19 AM, Jon Johnsen wrote:
>> We are getting increasing demands from our users to install and support
>> the commodity DropBox.
>>
>> Will campus be providing a better solution soon?  Real soon?

Re: [Micronet] DropBox

Hi Richard:

We might be able to help you with that need using the Research Hub, http://hub.berkeley.edu.  Several departments are using our service for exactly that purpose.  (One department currently has about 1.2TB of stuff on the Research Hub.)

Please check it out--current member of the campus community can log in using their CalNet ID.

If you have any questions, please drop us a line at [hidden email].

Cheers,

Ian

On Sep 14, 2012, at 8:25 AM, Richard Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

___

Content Management Technologies
IST-Architecture, Middleware and Common Applications
Earl Warren Hall, Second Floor

Re: [Micronet] DropBox

Aron Roberts
On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Jon Johnsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are getting increasing demands from our users to install and support
> the commodity DropBox.
>
> Will campus be providing a better solution soon?  Real soon?

  And Tech Commons lists both Box and ResearchHub among storage
solutions for campus customers:

  http://techcommons.berkeley.edu/search/apachesolr_search/storage

  You did check that first, yes? :-)

Aron Roberts
IST-Research & Content Technologies

> --
> Jon Johnsen
> Information Systems Office
> 433 University Hall
> School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
> 510 643-4357

Re: [Micronet] DropBox

John D. MacDonald

Richard,

I think this is actually a critical thing to point out regarding Box...

Files are inherently owned by an individual account.  You might have a
bunch of files shared to a large group of people/collaborators/etc,
but if the owner's account goes away, the files go away.  I raised
this issue at the first "Box Early Adopters" meeting and the word from
above was that Box had promised more 'enterprise' functionality, like
delegated administration.  What we have so far is groups for managing
sharing.  There doesn't yet appear to be any concept of institutional
data; data that persists beyond an individual.  That, for my school,
makes Box a non-starter for most use cases, simply muddying the
waters.  In fact, it actually puts our institutional data in danger,
as users may jump into Box without understanding the limitations, and
without any interaction with our IT staff.

Box is certainly an interesting and useful technology for individuals,
but it is not an institutional solution.

John

On 9/14/2012 8:25 AM, Richard Henderson wrote:

> What my dept. needs in order to use Box is the availability of
> shared departmental accounts with larger quotas.  As I understand
> it, only personal accounts with a 25 GB limit are allowed.  We
> would like to consolidate our many DropBox folders and network
> drives in a single location, but we can't with the current Box
> offering.
>
> Richard Henderson Institute for Business Innovation Haas School of
> Business
>
> ________________________________________ From:
> [hidden email]
> [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Luke
> Rockwell [[hidden email]] Sent: Friday,
> September 14, 2012 8:21 AM To: Jon Johnsen Cc:
> [hidden email] Subject: Re: [Micronet] DropBox
>
> Jon
>
> Have a looked at the box.com solution campus already had in place?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Sep 14, 2012, at 8:20 AM, Jon Johnsen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> We are getting increasing demands from our users to install and
>> support the commodity DropBox.
>>
>> Will campus be providing a better solution soon?  Real soon?
>>
>> -- Jon Johnsen Information Systems Office 433 University Hall
>> School of Public Health, UC Berkeley 510 643-4357

>> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and
>> searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be
>> viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and
>> people who have known you in the past.

> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
> known you in the past.

> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
> known you in the past.

- --
- -

===================================
 John D. MacDonald
 Information Systems Architect

 UC Berkeley School of Law - IS&T
 366 Boalt Hall
 510-642-7191
===================================

Re: [Micronet] DropBox

Yau-Man Chan-2
We (the Internet-2 consortium early adopter universities) are working
with Box to implement a departmental or group account feature suitable
for use by academic institutions.  It will be the next major enhancement
for this product.  We are pushing them to deliver a much more urgent
enhancement, ie the ability to have email aliases for enterprise account
holders.  We hope to be beta testing this soon. We deem this enhancement
as a much higher priority as about 30% of our campus population do not
have {CalNetID}@berkeley.edu as their primary email address. The
Department/Group account enhancement is certainly important to make this
product much more secure and would replace many file service services
now provided by campus and individual departments.

Stay tuned.. more good stuff to come - and to get back to the topic,
those are not "enhancements" one can get from Dropbox!

Yau-Man Chan
Chief Technology Officer
College of Chemistry
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1460

Office: 510-643-1034
FAX: 510-643-6178
chemistry.berkeley.edu
[hidden email]

On 9/14/12 9:25 AM, John D. MacDonald wrote:

> [...]
>>> viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and
>>> people who have known you in the past.

>> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>> known you in the past.

>> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have

Re: [Micronet] DropBox

Zane C Cooper
Richard,

I spoke with UCB Box service providers just before the (soft) launch.  Currently there is no way to provision more storage with UCB's implementation of Box.  So you can't get more than the default quota right now.  For now ResearchHub could be your best choice.

Zane Cooper
Chief Technology officer
U.C.Berkeley-Haas School of Business
545 Student Services Building #1900
Berkeley, CA 94720-1900
(510) 642-7280 (Office)
(510) 333-9146 (Cell)
(925) 388-6699 (Google Voice)

On Sep 14, 2012, at 8:59 AM, Aron Roberts wrote:

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Jon Johnsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
We are getting increasing demands from our users to install and support
the commodity DropBox.

Will campus be providing a better solution soon?  Real soon?

 And Tech Commons lists both Box and ResearchHub among storage
solutions for campus customers:

 http://techcommons.berkeley.edu/search/apachesolr_search/storage

 You did check that first, yes? :-)

Aron Roberts
IST-Research & Content Technologies

--
Jon Johnsen
Information Systems Office
433 University Hall
School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
510 643-4357

Re: [Micronet] DropBox

tedcrum
Is Tech Commons in any way the official source on such things, or
just another silo?

-tc

At 08:59 AM 9/14/2012, Aron Roberts wrote:

>On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Jon Johnsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > We are getting increasing demands from our users to install and support
> > the commodity DropBox.
> >
> > Will campus be providing a better solution soon?  Real soon?
>
>   And Tech Commons lists both Box and ResearchHub among storage
>solutions for campus customers:
>
>   http://techcommons.berkeley.edu/search/apachesolr_search/storage
>
>   You did check that first, yes? :-)
>
>Aron Roberts
>IST-Research & Content Technologies
>

> > --
> > Jon Johnsen
> > Information Systems Office
> > 433 University Hall
> > School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
> > 510 643-4357

> upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
> >
> > http://micronet.berkeley.edu
> >
> > Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
> world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
> on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
> known you in the past.

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] DropBox

Aaron DuBois
I saw some requests that are not yet being fulfilled by Box so i thought
i would point out a service that some people(mostly faculty) in my dept.
have started using over the last few years.

https://www.sugarsync.com/

This can be had on an individual basis or a group account.
I do not know details about the group account but have a bit of
experience now with individual accounts.

It provides both backup and/or syncing service for individuals working
on multiple systems.
Automatic versioning(current + 4 older versions in FIFO).
Allows for retrieval of files through either a client software or an
https website.
Files can be publicly or privately shared.
Client side deleted files are moved to a server side recycle bin(in
addition to the normal OS bin) that has to be manually deleted with no
overwriting(unlike the OS bin).
Client software includes computers and handheld device options.
Storage can be increased as needed, annual or monthly payment options
available, with a discount for annual.

I think the biggest difference from individual and group accounts is
that shared files in group accounts can be shared within the group for
editing, while individual accounts are a read only share access.

This has been working well for our faculty, especially the sync part.
It allows them to work on one set of files from multiple computers.
It keeps copies of files on all computers(so they can work without an
internet connection), and propagates changes made to the server and
other systems whenever they are online. The client software default is
to make backups and the syncing must be specifically enabled on a folder
by folder basis.

On 9/14/2012 9:51 AM, Zane Cooper wrote:

> Richard,
>
> I spoke with UCB Box service providers just before the (soft) launch.
> Currently there is no way to provision more storage with UCB's
> implementation of Box. So you can't get more than the default quota
> right now. For now ResearchHub could be your best choice.
>
> *Zane Cooper*
> Chief Technology officer
> U.C.Berkeley-Haas School of Business
> 545 Student Services Building #1900
> Berkeley, CA 94720-1900
> mailto://[hidden email]
> (510) 642-7280 (Office)
> (510) 333-9146 (Cell)
> (925) 388-6699 (Google Voice)
>

> On Sep 14, 2012, at 8:59 AM, Aron Roberts wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Jon Johnsen <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>> We are getting increasing demands from our users to install and support
>>> the commodity DropBox.
>>>
>>> Will campus be providing a better solution soon? Real soon?
>>
>> And Tech Commons lists both Box and ResearchHub among storage
>> solutions for campus customers:
>>
>> http://techcommons.berkeley.edu/search/apachesolr_search/storage
>>
>> You did check that first, yes? :-)
>>
>> Aron Roberts
>> IST-Research & Content Technologies
>>

>>> --
>>> Jon Johnsen
>>> Information Systems Office
>>> 433 University Hall
>>> School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
>>> 510 643-4357

>>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>>
>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>>> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>>> This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your
>>> bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

>> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>> and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.
>> This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>> prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Aaron DuBois CRSII
Sociology Department
489 Barrows Hall
510-643-9389
Mon-Fri 8:30-2:30 or by appointment

Re: [Micronet] DropBox

Aron Roberts
Tech Commons is intended to be a comprehensive listing of IT services
and products available to the campus.  However ...

It's literally community sourced, so that you - and that means you,
Ted - and every other Micronet member, are a potential contributor, as
much as are direct providers of those services and products.  It will
be as useful - or as out of date or incomplete, for that matter - as
we choose to make it:

http://techcommons.berkeley.edu/product/tech-commons

>From what I understand, even services or products not associated with
the campus - that you or your customers find useful in their day to
day work - are fair game for addition to these listings.  Including
those that compete with campus offerings :-).

Aron

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Ted Crum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is Tech Commons in any way the official source on such things, or just
> another silo?
>
> -tc
>

> At 08:59 AM 9/14/2012, Aron Roberts wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Jon Johnsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > We are getting increasing demands from our users to install and support
>> > the commodity DropBox.
>> >
>> > Will campus be providing a better solution soon?  Real soon?
>>
>>   And Tech Commons lists both Box and ResearchHub among storage
>> solutions for campus customers:
>>
>>   http://techcommons.berkeley.edu/search/apachesolr_search/storage
>>
>>   You did check that first, yes? :-)
>>
>> Aron Roberts
>> IST-Research & Content Technologies
>>

>> > --
>> > Jon Johnsen
>> > Information Systems Office
>> > 433 University Hall
>> > School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
>> > 510 643-4357

>> > meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>> >
>> > http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>> >
>> > Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable,
>> > and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
>> > means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,
>> > prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

>> visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
>> these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
>> employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] DropBox

Richard DeShong-2
Aaron,
The SugarSync functionality that you outlined is very similar to the
functionality of DropBox - which was the original service in question, not
Box.net.  To get group functionality from DropBox or other similar services,
like SugarSync, you can also use a departmental email address, rather than
an individual address, to setup the account.  This provides some bit of
institutional control.

I'm curious, Aaron, what procedure do you have in place to take control of
an employee's SugarSync account?
--
Richard DeShong,  Systems Analyst
Athletic Study Center,  U.C. Berkeley