[Micronet] Dropbox encryption?

Kathleen Valerio

Is there a way to a way to password protect a desktop version of drop box?

Kathleen Valerio
CalPact Coordinator &
Data Compliance Manager
Center for Organization & Workforce Effectiveness (COrWE)
191 University Hall
2199 Addison St.
Berkeley, CA 94720-3548

Ph 510 643-0452

Re: [Micronet] Dropbox encryption?

Richard DeShong-2

Is this because multiple people might have access to the system when it’s logged in?  What is it that you want to protect?  The UI of the app is just a convenience feature – it sync’s anything put into the dropbox folder.  It also has a preferences option that allows you to turn off the status bar icon (in the Windows version).  If it’s the folder, you could encrypt all or part of the dropbox folder.

--

Richard DeShong,  Systems Analyst

Athletic Study Center,  U.C. Berkeley

164 Chavez Student Center,  Berkeley, CA 94720-4220

Re: [Micronet] Dropbox encryption?

Kevin D. Burney

I’m not exactly sure of your question.  It is my opinion is that using TrueCrypt to create a data store which you can then store in the cloud is the most secure solution currently available.  Additionally when paired with Dropbox you can have a very large data store in the cloud which can synchronize very quickly due to the bit-level copying that the DropBox client uses versus every other solution which simply does a file copy anytime a file is changed.  I have a very large >1GB Truecrypt file synched into the Dropbox cloud with the desktop client agent.   The initial upload of the large file takes quite a considerable amount of time.  After being fully uploaded to the cloud, I can mount the local TrueCrypt file and then copy a small amount of data to the Truecrypt data store.  After dismounting the Truecrypt file it will begin to synchronize up to the cloud.  After a very short amount of time (directly relative to the amount of data added to the TrueCrypt file) the file will be fully synchronized to the cloud.  You do not need to wait the amount of time the file originally took to upload as it is only sending the changes.  I am amazed at the way it can do this with an encrypted data file.  I can understand how it is done using deltas of clear text but once the data is encrypted and hashed, how the bit level operations are occurring is beyond me.  Again to reiterate I have found no other cloud storing solution other than Dropbox which does the bit level comparisons.  I just got my account activated to use the new Google Drive (https://drive.google.com) so I will be testing it very soon.

-Kevin

Kevin D. Burney

Active Directory Systems Architect

2195 Hearst Ave.

3rd floor – 300B-41

Berkeley, CA  94720

Re: [Micronet] Dropbox encryption?

Andrew Ring
Similar to TrueCrypt, there is also a fuse plugin called EncFS
(http://www.arg0.net/encfs).  EncFS encrypts files individually, rather
than in aggregate.  It sets up two directories, one contains the
encrypted view of the files, the other "contains" the unencrypted
contents of the first.  The software is available on most platforms to
varying degrees.

A commercial product that is compatible is available for Windows from
BoxCryptor (http://www.boxcryptor.com/).  They also provide some
documentation for installing EncFS on other OSes.

Disclaimers: I can not make security comparisons between TrueCrpt and
EncFS.  I have not yet used EncFS, but a non-microneter coworker says
good things.

-Andrew

On 4/27/12 Friday, April 27, 201210:27 AM, Kevin D. Burney wrote:

> I’m not exactly sure of your question. It is my opinion is that using
> TrueCrypt to create a data store which you can then store in the cloud
> is the most secure solution currently available. Additionally when
> paired with Dropbox you can have a very large data store in the cloud
> which can synchronize very quickly due to the bit-level copying that the
> DropBox client uses versus every other solution which simply does a file
> copy anytime a file is changed. I have a very large >1GB Truecrypt file
> synched into the Dropbox cloud with the desktop client agent. The
> initial upload of the large file takes quite a considerable amount of
> time. After being fully uploaded to the cloud, I can mount the local
> TrueCrypt file and then copy a small amount of data to the Truecrypt
> data store. After dismounting the Truecrypt file it will begin to
> synchronize up to the cloud. After a very short amount of time (directly
> relative to the amount of data added to the TrueCrypt file) the file
> will be fully synchronized to the cloud. You do not need to wait the
> amount of time the file originally took to upload as it is only sending
> the changes. I am amazed at the way it can do this with an encrypted
> data file. I can understand how it is done using deltas of clear text
> but once the data is encrypted and hashed, how the bit level operations
> are occurring is beyond me. Again to reiterate I have found no other
> cloud storing solution other than Dropbox which does the bit level
> comparisons. I just got my account activated to use the new Google Drive
> (https://drive.google.com) so I will be testing it very soon.
>
> -Kevin
>
> Kevin D. Burney
>
> Active Directory Systems Architect
>
> 2195 Hearst Ave.
>
> 3^rd floor – 300B-41
>
> Berkeley, CA 94720
>
> (510) 827-8476
>
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

===================================
Andrew Ring
System Administrator
Kuriyan Laboratory
http://jkweb.qb3.berkeley.edu/
Doudna Laboratory
http://rna.berkeley.edu/
University of California, Berkeley
Office:
542 Stanley Hall
Shipping:
176 Stanley Hall, QB3
Berkeley, CA 94720-3220
tel: (510) 643 0166
fax: (510) 643 2352

Re: [Micronet] Dropbox encryption?

Dale Engle
I use BoxCryptor on Windows and Android. Pretty straightforward.