[Micronet] Eduroam

John McChesney-Young
A message went out last night from Larry Conrad to all staff and
faculty about CalVisitor and eduroam. A lot of our faculty travel
frequently, so I sent out a note encouraging them to set themselves up
with AirBears2 if they haven't already and I included a couple of
links I thought might be helpful. Since our department manager thought
it worth passing along to the other departments she manages I thought
I'd share it here too in case any of you might find it useful as a
basis for something to send out to people you support. Feel free to
edit, remix, etc. If any of  you have experience with eduroam
elsewhere already and have any tips or caveats, please let us know!

John

***

A little while ago you will have gotten a message from Larry Conrad
about new WiFi options, but since many of you travel for research and
conferences I wanted to underscore the second, eduroam. This will
allow those of you who've set up an AirBears2 key to log onto wireless
networks at many other institutions.

I know some of you have already switched from AirBears to AirBears2,
but not all of you have. You may find this makes it worth the few
minutes required.

See:

https://www.eduroam.us/eduroam_us_institutions

for a map and list of US institutions that accept eduroam (UC Berkeley
isn't listed yet); see:

http://monitor.eduroam.org/eduroam_map.php?type=all

for a map of non-US institutions. You can also see them as a (very
long) list by clicking on "text" after "List of service locations" at
the top. (Hint: It's probably easiest to use your browser's search
function - Control-F or Command-F - to check for an institution of
interest instead of scrolling to look for it.)

To set up an AirBears2 key, see:

https://kb.berkeley.edu/page.php?id=30571

The great practical advantage of using AirBears2 here on campus over
ordinary AirBears is that you don't need to enter your username and
password nearly as often; ideally, just once.

***

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020

Re: [Micronet] Eduroam

Graham Patterson
As I read it, at the remote location you will be using
[hidden email] as your ID (instead of just calnetid), and you
will need a note of your AirBears2 key before you travel. You will not
be able to look it up without net access 8-)

The service SSID will not be AirBears2, of course.

It is going to be very useful for some people.

Graham

On 11/4/14 10:16 AM, John McChesney-Young wrote:

> A message went out last night from Larry Conrad to all staff and
> faculty about CalVisitor and eduroam. A lot of our faculty travel
> frequently, so I sent out a note encouraging them to set themselves up
> with AirBears2 if they haven't already and I included a couple of
> links I thought might be helpful. Since our department manager thought
> it worth passing along to the other departments she manages I thought
> I'd share it here too in case any of you might find it useful as a
> basis for something to send out to people you support. Feel free to
> edit, remix, etc. If any of  you have experience with eduroam
> elsewhere already and have any tips or caveats, please let us know!
>
> John
>
> ***
>
> A little while ago you will have gotten a message from Larry Conrad
> about new WiFi options, but since many of you travel for research and
> conferences I wanted to underscore the second, eduroam. This will
> allow those of you who've set up an AirBears2 key to log onto wireless
> networks at many other institutions.
>
> I know some of you have already switched from AirBears to AirBears2,
> but not all of you have. You may find this makes it worth the few
> minutes required.
>
> See:
>
> https://www.eduroam.us/eduroam_us_institutions
>
> for a map and list of US institutions that accept eduroam (UC Berkeley
> isn't listed yet); see:
>
> http://monitor.eduroam.org/eduroam_map.php?type=all
>
> for a map of non-US institutions. You can also see them as a (very
> long) list by clicking on "text" after "List of service locations" at
> the top. (Hint: It's probably easiest to use your browser's search
> function - Control-F or Command-F - to check for an institution of
> interest instead of scrolling to look for it.)
>
> To set up an AirBears2 key, see:
>
> https://kb.berkeley.edu/page.php?id=30571
>
> The great practical advantage of using AirBears2 here on campus over
> ordinary AirBears is that you don't need to enter your username and
> password nearly as often; ideally, just once.
>
> ***

Re: [Micronet] Eduroam

Vivian Sophia
I was actually wondering if there was a plan in the works to provide Eduroam, it seemed like such a good idea. Thank you, Isaac's group for this!

Vivian Sophia
Berkeley IT (CSS)
Business/Tech Support Analyst
University of California, Berkeley
310B Durant Hall
(510) 541-6120

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
As I read it, at the remote location you will be using
[hidden email] as your ID (instead of just calnetid), and you
will need a note of your AirBears2 key before you travel. You will not
be able to look it up without net access 8-)

The service SSID will not be AirBears2, of course.

It is going to be very useful for some people.

Graham

On 11/4/14 10:16 AM, John McChesney-Young wrote:
> A message went out last night from Larry Conrad to all staff and
> faculty about CalVisitor and eduroam. A lot of our faculty travel
> frequently, so I sent out a note encouraging them to set themselves up
> with AirBears2 if they haven't already and I included a couple of
> links I thought might be helpful. Since our department manager thought
> it worth passing along to the other departments she manages I thought
> I'd share it here too in case any of you might find it useful as a
> basis for something to send out to people you support. Feel free to
> edit, remix, etc. If any of  you have experience with eduroam
> elsewhere already and have any tips or caveats, please let us know!
>
> John
>
> ***
>
> A little while ago you will have gotten a message from Larry Conrad
> about new WiFi options, but since many of you travel for research and
> conferences I wanted to underscore the second, eduroam. This will
> allow those of you who've set up an AirBears2 key to log onto wireless
> networks at many other institutions.
>
> I know some of you have already switched from AirBears to AirBears2,
> but not all of you have. You may find this makes it worth the few
> minutes required.
>
> See:
>
> https://www.eduroam.us/eduroam_us_institutions
>
> for a map and list of US institutions that accept eduroam (UC Berkeley
> isn't listed yet); see:
>
> http://monitor.eduroam.org/eduroam_map.php?type=all
>
> for a map of non-US institutions. You can also see them as a (very
> long) list by clicking on "text" after "List of service locations" at
> the top. (Hint: It's probably easiest to use your browser's search
> function - Control-F or Command-F - to check for an institution of
> interest instead of scrolling to look for it.)
>
> To set up an AirBears2 key, see:
>
> https://kb.berkeley.edu/page.php?id=30571
>
> The great practical advantage of using AirBears2 here on campus over
> ordinary AirBears is that you don't need to enter your username and
> password nearly as often; ideally, just once.
>
> ***

Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   <a href="tel:510-643-2222" value="+15106432222">510-643-2222

Re: [Micronet] Eduroam

Isaac Orr
Hi Graham,

You are correct, at other institutions you will use
[hidden email] and the SSID will be eduroam.

We are not currently broadcasting the eduroam SSID in all of campus
because we ran into a couple of authentication issues.  We're about to
get it turned on though.

We would strongly recommend that people who will be traveling
configure themselves to use eduroam while still on campus, once the
SSID is available - this basically connects them to AirBears2, but
using the eduroam SSID.  This means your  device is up and running so
that when you arrive at your destination it should work seamlessly.

The benefit of doing this is that you can troubleshoot while you are
here on campus and make sure that everything is working, rather than
having to call for help when you are off campus, and we can't really
help troubleshoot all that much.

iso

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As I read it, at the remote location you will be using
> [hidden email] as your ID (instead of just calnetid), and you
> will need a note of your AirBears2 key before you travel. You will not
> be able to look it up without net access 8-)
>
> The service SSID will not be AirBears2, of course.
>
> It is going to be very useful for some people.
>

> Graham
>

> On 11/4/14 10:16 AM, John McChesney-Young wrote:
>> A message went out last night from Larry Conrad to all staff and
>> faculty about CalVisitor and eduroam. A lot of our faculty travel
>> frequently, so I sent out a note encouraging them to set themselves up
>> with AirBears2 if they haven't already and I included a couple of
>> links I thought might be helpful. Since our department manager thought
>> it worth passing along to the other departments she manages I thought
>> I'd share it here too in case any of you might find it useful as a
>> basis for something to send out to people you support. Feel free to
>> edit, remix, etc. If any of  you have experience with eduroam
>> elsewhere already and have any tips or caveats, please let us know!
>>
>> John
>>
>> ***
>>
>> A little while ago you will have gotten a message from Larry Conrad
>> about new WiFi options, but since many of you travel for research and
>> conferences I wanted to underscore the second, eduroam. This will
>> allow those of you who've set up an AirBears2 key to log onto wireless
>> networks at many other institutions.
>>
>> I know some of you have already switched from AirBears to AirBears2,
>> but not all of you have. You may find this makes it worth the few
>> minutes required.
>>
>> See:
>>
>> https://www.eduroam.us/eduroam_us_institutions
>>
>> for a map and list of US institutions that accept eduroam (UC Berkeley
>> isn't listed yet); see:
>>
>> http://monitor.eduroam.org/eduroam_map.php?type=all
>>
>> for a map of non-US institutions. You can also see them as a (very
>> long) list by clicking on "text" after "List of service locations" at
>> the top. (Hint: It's probably easiest to use your browser's search
>> function - Control-F or Command-F - to check for an institution of
>> interest instead of scrolling to look for it.)
>>
>> To set up an AirBears2 key, see:
>>
>> https://kb.berkeley.edu/page.php?id=30571
>>
>> The great practical advantage of using AirBears2 here on campus over
>> ordinary AirBears is that you don't need to enter your username and
>> password nearly as often; ideally, just once.
>>
>> ***
>>

> --
> Graham Patterson, Systems Administrator
> Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-2222
> "...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon, the mathematical
> puzzles, and the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

Isaac Simon Orr
Manager, Network Operations and Services
IST Telecommunications, UC Berkeley
P: +1 510 643 9837 C: +1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] Eduroam

Isaac Orr
Hi John,

I think that what you sent out is excellent and very helpful.  Thanks
for sharing this.

iso

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 10:16 AM, John McChesney-Young
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> A message went out last night from Larry Conrad to all staff and
> faculty about CalVisitor and eduroam. A lot of our faculty travel
> frequently, so I sent out a note encouraging them to set themselves up
> with AirBears2 if they haven't already and I included a couple of
> links I thought might be helpful. Since our department manager thought
> it worth passing along to the other departments she manages I thought
> I'd share it here too in case any of you might find it useful as a
> basis for something to send out to people you support. Feel free to
> edit, remix, etc. If any of  you have experience with eduroam
> elsewhere already and have any tips or caveats, please let us know!
>
> John
>
> ***
>
> A little while ago you will have gotten a message from Larry Conrad
> about new WiFi options, but since many of you travel for research and
> conferences I wanted to underscore the second, eduroam. This will
> allow those of you who've set up an AirBears2 key to log onto wireless
> networks at many other institutions.
>
> I know some of you have already switched from AirBears to AirBears2,
> but not all of you have. You may find this makes it worth the few
> minutes required.
>
> See:
>
> https://www.eduroam.us/eduroam_us_institutions
>
> for a map and list of US institutions that accept eduroam (UC Berkeley
> isn't listed yet); see:
>
> http://monitor.eduroam.org/eduroam_map.php?type=all
>
> for a map of non-US institutions. You can also see them as a (very
> long) list by clicking on "text" after "List of service locations" at
> the top. (Hint: It's probably easiest to use your browser's search
> function - Control-F or Command-F - to check for an institution of
> interest instead of scrolling to look for it.)
>
> To set up an AirBears2 key, see:
>
> https://kb.berkeley.edu/page.php?id=30571
>
> The great practical advantage of using AirBears2 here on campus over
> ordinary AirBears is that you don't need to enter your username and
> password nearly as often; ideally, just once.
>
> ***
>
> --
> John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
> History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
> U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
> [hidden email] // voice 1-510-642-5511 // fax 1-510-643-2185

Isaac Simon Orr
Manager, Network Operations and Services
IST Telecommunications, UC Berkeley
P: +1 510 643 9837 C: +1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] Eduroam

Beth Muramoto
John,

This is great! I hope you don't mind if I share your instructions to our faculty. No names, of course.  I don't want anyone to misunderstand and contact you for "support". You did such a great job with your instructions that re-writing seems unnecessary and dare I admit that I'm lazy by nature.

Thanks for sharing this!

Beth

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 4, 2014, at 10:16 AM, John McChesney-Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> A message went out last night from Larry Conrad to all staff and
> faculty about CalVisitor and eduroam. A lot of our faculty travel
> frequently, so I sent out a note encouraging them to set themselves up
> with AirBears2 if they haven't already and I included a couple of
> links I thought might be helpful. Since our department manager thought
> it worth passing along to the other departments she manages I thought
> I'd share it here too in case any of you might find it useful as a
> basis for something to send out to people you support. Feel free to
> edit, remix, etc. If any of  you have experience with eduroam
> elsewhere already and have any tips or caveats, please let us know!
>
> John
>
> ***
>
> A little while ago you will have gotten a message from Larry Conrad
> about new WiFi options, but since many of you travel for research and
> conferences I wanted to underscore the second, eduroam. This will
> allow those of you who've set up an AirBears2 key to log onto wireless
> networks at many other institutions.
>
> I know some of you have already switched from AirBears to AirBears2,
> but not all of you have. You may find this makes it worth the few
> minutes required.
>
> See:
>
> https://www.eduroam.us/eduroam_us_institutions
>
> for a map and list of US institutions that accept eduroam (UC Berkeley
> isn't listed yet); see:
>
> http://monitor.eduroam.org/eduroam_map.php?type=all
>
> for a map of non-US institutions. You can also see them as a (very
> long) list by clicking on "text" after "List of service locations" at
> the top. (Hint: It's probably easiest to use your browser's search
> function - Control-F or Command-F - to check for an institution of
> interest instead of scrolling to look for it.)
>
> To set up an AirBears2 key, see:
>
> https://kb.berkeley.edu/page.php?id=30571
>
> The great practical advantage of using AirBears2 here on campus over
> ordinary AirBears is that you don't need to enter your username and
> password nearly as often; ideally, just once.
>
> ***
>
> --
> John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
> History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
> U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
> [hidden email] // voice 1-510-642-5511 // fax 1-510-643-2185

Re: [Micronet] Eduroam

Isaac Orr
Hi Folks,

As of this afternoon, the eduroam SSID should be available campus wide.

This means that visitors from eduroam enabled institutions can
connect.  We've heard of some users from some institutions not being
able to successfully authenticate - we'll continue to look into this -
feel free to open a trouble ticket with CSS if this happens to one of
your visitors, and we'll make use of the data to help out with that.

It also means that local Berkeley users who plan on traveling can set
up their devices to use eduroam (using John's great instructions, just
select eduroam instead of AirBears2, and use @berkeley.edu in your
username).

Once again, we recommend that folks who will travel soon or regularly
configure their devices to use eduroam on campus, to ensure that it
will be working when they reach their destination.

Details of the new wifi services are all available at

http://ist.berkeley.edu/airbears

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> A message went out last night from Larry Conrad to all staff and
> faculty about CalVisitor and eduroam. A lot of our faculty travel
> frequently, so I sent out a note encouraging them to set themselves up
> with AirBears2 if they haven't already and I included a couple of
> links I thought might be helpful. Since our department manager thought
> it worth passing along to the other departments she manages I thought
> I'd share it here too in case any of you might find it useful as a
> basis for something to send out to people you support. Feel free to
> edit, remix, etc. If any of  you have experience with eduroam
> elsewhere already and have any tips or caveats, please let us know!
>
> John
>
> ***
>
> A little while ago you will have gotten a message from Larry Conrad
> about new WiFi options, but since many of you travel for research and
> conferences I wanted to underscore the second, eduroam. This will
> allow those of you who've set up an AirBears2 key to log onto wireless
> networks at many other institutions.
>
> I know some of you have already switched from AirBears to AirBears2,
> but not all of you have. You may find this makes it worth the few
> minutes required.
>
> See:
>
> https://www.eduroam.us/eduroam_us_institutions
>
> for a map and list of US institutions that accept eduroam (UC Berkeley
> isn't listed yet); see:
>
> http://monitor.eduroam.org/eduroam_map.php?type=all
>
> for a map of non-US institutions. You can also see them as a (very
> long) list by clicking on "text" after "List of service locations" at
> the top. (Hint: It's probably easiest to use your browser's search
> function - Control-F or Command-F - to check for an institution of
> interest instead of scrolling to look for it.)
>
> To set up an AirBears2 key, see:
>
> https://kb.berkeley.edu/page.php?id=30571
>
> The great practical advantage of using AirBears2 here on campus over
> ordinary AirBears is that you don't need to enter your username and
> password nearly as often; ideally, just once.
>
> ***
>
> --
> John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
> History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
> U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
> [hidden email] // voice 1-510-642-5511 // fax 1-510-643-2185

Isaac Simon Orr
Manager, Network Operations and Services
IST Telecommunications, UC Berkeley
P: +1 510 643 9837 C: +1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] Eduroam

Keenan Parmelee
Just out of curiosity, how is campus handling eduroam security cases?  Similar to CalVisitor instaban or is there an attempt to resolve the issue via email?

--
Isaac Simon Orr
Manager, Network Operations and Services
IST Telecommunications, UC Berkeley
P: <a href="tel:%2B1%20510%20643%209837" value="+15106439837">+1 510 643 9837 C: <a href="tel:%2B1%20510%20517%209408" value="+15105179408">+1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] Eduroam

Isaac Orr
Hi Keenan,

The plan for eduroam is to contact home institutions where we can to
let them know about a problem with one of their users.  We don't see
who the specific user is - we only know the institution (thats all our
system needs to forward the authentication request to the right
place). In addition we can block MAC addresses on the service, in
cases where we don't get a response from the user's institution or the
problem continues.

As far as unblocking goes - contact from the user's home institution
to Information Security would usually resolve the problem, similar to
how we resolve them for our own campus users.

In general eduroam users are encouraged to contact their home
institution for support first, so in theory the way it would work is:
we block a user, they phone home, institution hopefully wakes up and
realizes we let them know they have a problem user.  They contact our
security folks, sort out the issues, and user is unblocked.

iso

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Keenan Parmelee
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>>

>> --
>> Isaac Simon Orr
>> Manager, Network Operations and Services
>> IST Telecommunications, UC Berkeley
>> P: +1 510 643 9837 C: +1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]

>> visit the Micronet Web site:
>>
>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>
>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and
>> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means
>> these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective
>> employers, and people who have known you in the past.

--
Isaac Simon Orr
Manager, Network Operations and Services
IST Telecommunications, UC Berkeley
P: +1 510 643 9837 C: +1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]

Running a few tests:

iOS 6 device will not connect.

iOS 8 device does connect.

OSX 10.9 computer does connect.

To get the iOS 8 device to connect I had to disconnect from the network,
and then manually select eduroam before the device latched onto
AirBears2. That way I received the certificate request after entering my
credentials. That trick does not seem to work with the iOS 6 device,
even with 'Auto Join' off.

If there is a way to cajole or coerce an iOS 6 device into eduroam, I'd
be interested to hear it. A new iPod is _not_ on my Christmas List!

Re: [Micronet] Eduroam

Isaac Orr
Hi Graham,

Have you tried just doing a reset for the network settings?  If the
device is working for AirBears2 you'll end up having to re-enter that
as well though.

iso

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 9:13 AM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Running a few tests:
>
> iOS 6 device will not connect.
>
> iOS 8 device does connect.
>
> OSX 10.9 computer does connect.
>
> To get the iOS 8 device to connect I had to disconnect from the network,
> and then manually select eduroam before the device latched onto
> AirBears2. That way I received the certificate request after entering my
> credentials. That trick does not seem to work with the iOS 6 device,
> even with 'Auto Join' off.
>
> If there is a way to cajole or coerce an iOS 6 device into eduroam, I'd
> be interested to hear it. A new iPod is _not_ on my Christmas List!
>
> Graham
> --
> Graham Patterson, Systems Administrator
> Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-2222
> "...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon, the mathematical
> puzzles, and the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

Isaac Simon Orr
Manager, Network Operations and Services
IST Telecommunications, UC Berkeley
P: +1 510 643 9837 C: +1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] Eduroam

John McChesney-Young
Running tests on my wireless devices, I found that Ubuntu 14.10 on a
Dell Latitude E6420 and Android 4.4.4 on a first-gen Moto X work fine.
Oddly, my first try on the Dell in Firefox gave a few time-outs, so I
tested with ping in Terminal and that worked, so I went back to
Firefox and tried Chrome and both behaved properly this time.

John

<[hidden email]> wrote in part:

> Running a few tests:
>
> iOS 6 device will not connect.
>
> iOS 8 device does connect.
>
> OSX 10.9 computer does connect....

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
[hidden email] // voice 1-510-642-5511 // fax 1-510-643-2185

Re: [Micronet] Eduroam

Charles Verboom
Berkeley Lab deployed eduroam in June - expanding this from a few initial buildings to the rest of lab as we continue a large update to our wireless service.

The link to our FAQs is here:

We also advise our travelers to configure their system before leaving the lab and to try it if they are near one of the access points that supports it.

Charlie
IT Collaboration Services

We have it on the hill - gradually expanding so it covers more of our buildings.

our FAQ is here

<[hidden email]> wrote in part:

> Running a few tests:
>
> iOS 6 device will not connect.
>
> iOS 8 device does connect.
>
> OSX 10.9 computer does connect....

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020
U. C. Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-6020
[hidden email] // voice <a href="tel:1-510-642-5511" value="+15106425511">1-510-642-5511 // fax <a href="tel:1-510-643-2185" value="+15106432185">1-510-643-2185

Charlie

Re: [Micronet] Eduroam

Interesting. If I tell the device to forget AirBears2, I can get the
eduroam connection to give me the certificate to accept. After a couple
of tries I got it to accept and connect.

Going back to reconnect to AirBears2, I get the "Unable to join the
network 'AirBears2'" message. In other words I have reversed the problem.

As long as eduroam is functionally the same as AirBears2, I may as well
leave this device set that way. I don't plan on any globe-trotting very
soon, but one never knows.

Which brings up another question: is the eduroam address space conflated
with AirBears2? or is there a specific range set aside for it? I only
ask in case I need it for connection diagnostics with any of the servers
I manage.

This is a really nice step forward, by the way.

Graham

On 11/5/14 9:33 AM, Isaac Orr wrote:

> Hi Graham,
>
> Have you tried just doing a reset for the network settings?  If the
> device is working for AirBears2 you'll end up having to re-enter that
> as well though.
>

> iso
>

> On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 9:13 AM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Running a few tests:
>>
>> iOS 6 device will not connect.
>>
>> iOS 8 device does connect.
>>
>> OSX 10.9 computer does connect.
>>
>> To get the iOS 8 device to connect I had to disconnect from the network,
>> and then manually select eduroam before the device latched onto
>> AirBears2. That way I received the certificate request after entering my
>> credentials. That trick does not seem to work with the iOS 6 device,
>> even with 'Auto Join' off.
>>
>> If there is a way to cajole or coerce an iOS 6 device into eduroam, I'd
>> be interested to hear it. A new iPod is _not_ on my Christmas List!
>>
>> Graham
>> --
>> Graham Patterson, Systems Administrator
>> Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-2222
>> "...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon, the mathematical
>> puzzles, and the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

Re: [Micronet] Eduroam

Isaac Orr
Hi Graham,

In every way other than the username you use, and the SSID you connect
to, eduroam and AirBears2 are identical when you are connecting at UC
Berkeley.  Same address space, same access, etc.

Some of us here in the network group have even deleted the AirBears2
SSID from our devices - simpler just to use a network we know should
work both here and many other places.

iso

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 10:14 AM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interesting. If I tell the device to forget AirBears2, I can get the
> eduroam connection to give me the certificate to accept. After a couple
> of tries I got it to accept and connect.
>
> Going back to reconnect to AirBears2, I get the "Unable to join the
> network 'AirBears2'" message. In other words I have reversed the problem.
>
> As long as eduroam is functionally the same as AirBears2, I may as well
> leave this device set that way. I don't plan on any globe-trotting very
> soon, but one never knows.
>
> Which brings up another question: is the eduroam address space conflated
> with AirBears2? or is there a specific range set aside for it? I only
> ask in case I need it for connection diagnostics with any of the servers
> I manage.
>
> This is a really nice step forward, by the way.
>

> Graham
>
> On 11/5/14 9:33 AM, Isaac Orr wrote:
>> Hi Graham,
>>
>> Have you tried just doing a reset for the network settings?  If the
>> device is working for AirBears2 you'll end up having to re-enter that
>> as well though.
>>

>> iso
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 9:13 AM, Graham Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Running a few tests:
>>>
>>> iOS 6 device will not connect.
>>>
>>> iOS 8 device does connect.
>>>
>>> OSX 10.9 computer does connect.
>>>
>>> To get the iOS 8 device to connect I had to disconnect from the network,
>>> and then manually select eduroam before the device latched onto
>>> AirBears2. That way I received the certificate request after entering my
>>> credentials. That trick does not seem to work with the iOS 6 device,
>>> even with 'Auto Join' off.
>>>
>>> If there is a way to cajole or coerce an iOS 6 device into eduroam, I'd
>>> be interested to hear it. A new iPod is _not_ on my Christmas List!
>>>
>>> Graham
>>> --
>>> Graham Patterson, Systems Administrator
>>> Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-2222
>>> "...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon, the mathematical
>>> puzzles, and the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.
>>

> --
> Graham Patterson, Systems Administrator
> Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-2222
> "...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon, the mathematical
> puzzles, and the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

--
Isaac Simon Orr
Manager, Network Operations and Services
IST Telecommunications, UC Berkeley
P: +1 510 643 9837 C: +1 510 517 9408 E: [hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] Eduroam

Mike Howard
Graham,

I think you'll have the best experience if you configure your WiFi devices to only use one of the campus SSIDs, and delete or disable the other profiles. The WiFi controllers can interpret rapid jumping between different SSIDs as a malfunction, and can cause the client to be briefly excluded from the network, which looks like an authentication failure.

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Isaac Orr <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> even with 'Auto Join' off.
>>>
>>> If there is a way to cajole or coerce an iOS 6 device into eduroam, I'd
>>> be interested to hear it. A new iPod is _not_ on my Christmas List!
>>>
>>> Graham
>>> --
>>> Graham Patterson, Systems Administrator
>>> Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   <a href="tel:510-643-2222" value="+15106432222" target="_blank">510-643-2222
>>> "...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon, the mathematical
>>> puzzles, and the meteorite..." - directions to my office.

>>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>>>
>>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Network Engineer
UC Berkeley SAIT

Re: [Micronet] Eduroam

Graham Patterson

If this is the case, I think the documentation needs an adjustment to
recommend one or the other depending on needs. The Manage My Keys
application will need a labeling tweak too, but I expect that is coming.

This is not giving me problems personally, but I already have some very
confused people asking questions. Change may be a constant in the IT
world, but it flusters a lot of other people! The campus KB section is
thin at the moment, but I expect that will improve with experience.

I am really pleased to have this and the CalVisitor service.

Graham

On 11/5/14 11:14 AM, Mike Howard wrote:

> [...]
>     >>> --
>     >>> Graham Patterson, Systems Administrator
>     >>> Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley   510-643-2222
>     <tel:510-643-2222>
>     >>> "...past the iguana, the tyrannosaurus, the mastodon, the
>     mathematical
>     >>> puzzles, and the meteorite..." - directions to my office.
>     >>>
>     >>>
>     >>>
>     meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>     >>>
>     >>> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>     >>>
>     >>> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>     world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>     on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>     others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have

Re: [Micronet] Eduroam

Isaac Orr
We have actually been working on the MMK labeling, I'm not sure what
the schedule is on that (I'll follow up though).  You are right, it's
a little confusing right now.

We do have some KB articles, and they are being improved, in some
cases as a result of the discussion that's going on right here.

We also have a poster/leaflet that the OCIO communications folks have
created that summarizes the different types of WiFi networks and when
to use them (and who can use them).

As you all know, being the creator of a service doesn't make you the
best documenter of it. There are things you think are obvious that the
end users scratch their heads over. The feedback we've gotten on
MicroNet has really been very valuable in helping improve the
documentation and understand how users will perceive the services, so
please keep it coming.

iso