[Micronet] Email attachments from Outlook not opening on recipients computer

[Micronet] Email attachments from Outlook not opening on recipients computer

Jack King
We've run into complications with email attachments that are sent by a User
who has Outlook 2003 ( XP ). The attachments are displayed on the recipient's
email client ( Thunderbird, Explorer, Calmail ) named "Winmail.da" that
cannot be opened.

Several fixes have been suggested and tried that only partially fix this
problem.

We were told to Modify each Users's Calmail settings using the Roundcube
"Settings -> Displaying Messages" by unchecking the various options. Also
we changed the Outlook settings on the person who sends these messages under
"Tools -> Options -> Mail Format-> Compose in this message format" to be
"Plain Text."

These steps helped in some of the attachments but we still have problems
opening a lot of them.

Is there a resource published somewhere that addresses this issue more
thoroughly?

Thanks,

Jack

--
Jack King
Disabled Students Program

Re: [Micronet] Email attachments from Outlook not opening on recipients computer

Greg Merritt
On the sender's Outlook, blow away the address book entry of the
recipients who are getting winmail.dat.

If Outlook gets the idea that the contact is an Outlook user, it will
persistently send windmail.dat versions rather than normal
attachments.  That's the source of the problem.

It's vexing to diagnose -- if you send a single message to multiple
recipients and view the message, you'll see that those that are
flagged in Outlook's contacts as Outlook-compatible get the
winmail.dat version, and all other recipients get normal attachments.

-Greg

On May 24, 2010, at 2:37 PM, Jack King wrote:

> We've run into complications with email attachments that are sent by
> a User
> who has Outlook 2003 ( XP ). The attachments are displayed on the
> recipient's
> email client ( Thunderbird, Explorer, Calmail ) named "Winmail.da"
> that
> cannot be opened.
>
> Several fixes have been suggested and tried that only partially fix
> this
> problem.
>
> We were told to Modify each Users's Calmail settings using the
> Roundcube
> "Settings -> Displaying Messages" by unchecking the various options.
> Also
> we changed the Outlook settings on the person who sends these
> messages under
> "Tools -> Options -> Mail Format-> Compose in this message format"
> to be
> "Plain Text."
>
> These steps helped in some of the attachments but we still have
> problems
> opening a lot of them.
>
> Is there a resource published somewhere that addresses this issue more
> thoroughly?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Jack
>

> --
> Jack King
> Disabled Students Program
> 50 Cesar Chavez Center
> (510) 642-2103

> meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
> http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
> Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-
> viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the
> Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others)
> your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in
> the past.

Re: [Micronet] Email attachments from Outlook not opening on recipients computer

Karl R. Grose
Jack,

On 05/24/2010 02:37 PM, Jack King wrote:

> Is there a resource published somewhere that addresses this issue more
> thoroughly?

Here's a resource at the mozillaZine site:

  http://kb.mozillazine.org/Winmail.dat_attachments

Disabling TNEF encoding is at the heart of the issue.

--Karl