[Micronet] Entering special characters on an ACER Spanish keyboard

[Micronet] Entering special characters on an ACER Spanish keyboard

Mike Friedman
Hi,

My sister-in-law has an ACER laptop with a Spanish keyboard and she's having trouble entering certain fairly common special characters such as the at-sign, tilde, pound sign, backslash, etc..  Does anyone out there know how to obtain this information?  This computer is a cheap laptop with no numeric keypad, so it doesn't seem possible even to enter the ASCII codes (i.e., using the Alt key).  The computer is running Windows 7, Home Edition.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

--
Mike Friedman
[hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] Entering special characters on an ACER Spanish keyboard

William
Have you tried changing the keyboard settings in the control panel, regional and language settings, Keyboards and Languages?

If that doesn't help, maybe you could try this:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Spanish_.28Spain.29.2C_aka_Spanish_.28International_sort.29

On 11/22/2011 4:22 PM, Mike Friedman wrote:
Hi,

My sister-in-law has an ACER laptop with a Spanish keyboard and she's having trouble entering certain fairly common special characters such as the at-sign, tilde, pound sign, backslash, etc..  Does anyone out there know how to obtain this information?  This computer is a cheap laptop with no numeric keypad, so it doesn't seem possible even to enter the ASCII codes (i.e., using the Alt key).  The computer is running Windows 7, Home Edition.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

--
Mike Friedman
[hidden email]
http://mikefberkeley.com

William Chen
Systems Administrator
College of Chemistry
173 Tan Hall
University of California, Berkeley
3-1032

Re: [Micronet] Entering special characters on an ACER Spanish keyboard

Gary Lum
You can use the  character map  app as well. Start Menu/accessories/system tools

On 11/22/2011 4:36 PM, William wrote:
[...]

------------------------------------------------------------------------- The following was automatically added to this message by the list server: To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site: http://micronet.berkeley.edu Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Entering special characters on an ACER Spanish keyboard

David Friedman
Problem solved.

The keyboard in question belongs to my wife.  I tried various solutions suggested at internet discussion groups,
including changing the control panel regional and language settings.  None worked.

Finally I experimented by holding down the AltGr key and pressing all the other keys on the keyboard in
succession.  I did this in Wordpad so I could see the resulting characters. This produced some useful special
characters:

@            AltGr + q
~             AltGr + *
\              AltGr + ?
#             Shift   + 3

Maybe there's some logical consistency in this keyboard, but it's certainly not intuitive.  Sometimes the shift
key activates the symbol above the main character on a key.  In other cases (as with the #) it activates the
symbol to the right of the main character.  There's nothing on the q, *, ? keys to hint that they might map to
@, ~, \ via the AltGr key.

By the way, I disagree with Mike that this is a "cheap laptop."  It's true that my wife got a discount by buying
it when she was in Panama (her original homeland), but if we factor in the time spent on keyboard idiocy,
it wasn't such a bargain after all.

Thanks to those who offered their help.

-- Dave

On 11/22/2011 4:55 PM, Gary Lum wrote:
[...]

So, then it was the Latin America Spanish Layout instead: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Spanish_.28Latin_America.29

The Blue symbols are linked to the blue AltGr key.