[Micronet] Equipment Calibration

SERGEY SHEVTCHENKO
Dear Micronet,

This might be somewhat off-topic, but perhaps someone knows if the campus has a lab for calibrating electronics test equipment (multi-meters, oscilloscopes, signal generators, etc...)? I imagine this kind of equipment gets a lot of use at Cal, so there's got to be a place we all got to to get it verified and/or calibrated... or is it all done with external, third-party companies and manufacturers?

Sergey Shevtchenko
IT Director
University of California, Berkeley
tel.: (510) 643-0077

Re: [Micronet] Equipment Calibration

Jay Bryon
If it's an application requiring certification, the manufacturer or it's vendor network may be the only option, depending on what gear you're talking about.  Fluke for instance (last I checked) required DMM's to be sent in to their certified service centers.  So while one would think we could do this locally, there isn't much incentive to do so since you can't then certify it.

There are some liability and safety issues surrounding test equipment used in electrical applications (like DMM's) so while I'd be happy to be wrong, it wouldn't surprise me that nobody is going there independently for most of that sort of thing.

EECS or Physics may know better/more.

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 1:58 PM, Sergey Shevtchenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Micronet,

This might be somewhat off-topic, but perhaps someone knows if the campus has a lab for calibrating electronics test equipment (multi-meters, oscilloscopes, signal generators, etc...)? I imagine this kind of equipment gets a lot of use at Cal, so there's got to be a place we all got to to get it verified and/or calibrated... or is it all done with external, third-party companies and manufacturers?

Sergey Shevtchenko
IT Director
University of California, Berkeley
tel.: <a href="tel:%28510%29%20643-0077" value="+15106430077" target="_blank">(510) 643-0077

Jay Bryon
Senior Network Engineer, U.C. Berkeley/IST/IS/Network Operations and Services
2-5636