[Micronet] Excel to PDF

T. K. Chen
Does any body know a good tool that can convert a MS excel into a pdf
and provide a programming interface that I can plugin to my script?

Thanks!

--
---------
T.K. Chen

Re: [Micronet] Excel to PDF

Greg Merritt
Might be worth looking through these:

http://www.google.com/search?q=xls2pdf

-Greg

On Mar 8, 2012, at 12:43 PM, T. K. Chen wrote:

> Does any body know a good tool that can convert a MS excel into a pdf
> and provide a programming interface that I can plugin to my script?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> ---------
> T.K. Chen
> ERSO Application Programmer
> 510-642-7618

Re: [Micronet] Excel to PDF

Jonathan Felder-2
Have you looked at openoffice server?  It might do that.

--
Jon

On 3/8/12 12:43 PM, T. K. Chen wrote:
> Does any body know a good tool that can convert a MS excel into a pdf
> and provide a programming interface that I can plugin to my script?
>
> Thanks!

Re: [Micronet] Excel to PDF

OpenOffice can do it, as can other utilities.  Check out the following pages:
http://riceball.com/d/node/966
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/355447/openoffice-command-line-pdf-creation

For the curious, the Research Hub (http://hub.berkeley.edu) uses OpenOffice to do exactly that in order to generate its previews.  It's also possible to set up a rule on a folder in the Research Hub to take anything that's dropped in that folder, convert it to a PDF, and put the resulting PDF into another folder.  That service isn't available as an API, though, so it's probably not useful for your uses.

Hope that helps,

Ian

On Mar 8, 2012, at 12:43 PM, T. K. Chen wrote:

> Does any body know a good tool that can convert a MS excel into a pdf
> and provide a programming interface that I can plugin to my script?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> ---------
> T.K. Chen
> ERSO Application Programmer
> 510-642-7618

Information Services and Technology-Research and Content Technologies
University of California, Berkeley
2195 Hearst Ave, Second Floor
http://hub.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] Excel to PDF

gartim
I use perl to do some nice stuff, the module is:

#!/usr/bin/perl
use warnings;
use Data::Dumper;
use strict;
use Spreadsheet::WriteExcel;  <---

there are mods for pdfs also, but no experience with them.

g.

On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 01:38:25PM -0800, Jonathan Felder wrote:

>Have you looked at openoffice server?  It might do that.
>
>--
>Jon
>
>On 3/8/12 12:43 PM, T. K. Chen wrote:
>> Does any body know a good tool that can convert a MS excel into a pdf
>> and provide a programming interface that I can plugin to my script?
>>
>> Thanks!

>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Excel to PDF

Baril
The only one I know of is Acrobat Pro. But here is a link that may also
help......

http://www.recosoft.com/products

best,

roy

--
Roy A. Baril
Director of Technology

Re: [Micronet] Excel to PDF

Patrick McGrath
Hi TK -

i'm not sure if this is a valid use-case for you…  however if your aim was to convert folders of excel files, or word, etc. it would be extremely simple for you to create a workflow in the Research Hub (http://hub.berkeley.edu).  This platform is very strong in content workflows and transformations, and is accomplished with no coding / programming for simple transformations like this.  All of the product-ware is already installed and available for use.

Example - create a workflow so that
* any file moved in / uploaded to a folder..
* was checked to see if it were excel, etc…
* if positive, the spreadsheet is converted to pdf, and copied to another folder

The Research Hub team has an upcoming advanced topics training session already scheduled, and we could provide further information if you like.

If you're already a programmer and have some of the technical background, i'd just encourage you to fiddle around with this and try things out.

Cheers - Patrick