[Micronet] FW: Calmail-to-bMail Pre-Migration Checklist has been posted to bConnected

[Micronet] FW: Calmail-to-bMail Pre-Migration Checklist has been posted to bConnected

Manuel W. Castrillo

FYI

See bellow,

Cheers,

Manuel W. Castrillo

Goldman School of Public Policy

University of California, Berkeley

2607 Hearst Avenue

Berkeley, CA 94720-7320

http://gspp.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] FW: Calmail-to-bMail Pre-Migration Checklist has been posted to bConnected

gts
OMG! Nightmare time for the email consultants. Do you really believe that CalMail users are going to understand the checklist and successfully comply? Reminds me of 1980's multi-page software installation instructions.

greg

At 12:07 PM 9/26/2012, Manuel W. Castrillo wrote:
FYI
See bellow,

Cheers,

Manuel W. Castrillo
Goldman School of Public Policy
University of California, Berkeley
2607 Hearst Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94720-7320
http://gspp.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] FW: Calmail-to-bMail Pre-Migration Checklist has been posted to bConnected

Joyce Martin

Hi

I think this checklist needs a bit more work to be more “user-friendly”.   I  could not hand this out to our users as it is.   Here are the areas where I think it needs more clarification (I’ve notated in RED).   In general, I think the user action items should be accompanied by screenshots.

From website:

1. The following items are supported in bMail but this information will NOT migrate from CalMail. If you would like to use any of these in bMail, make a copy [#1 how does one make a copy of the following?] for reference and upload it later into bMail. [how?]

  • Any rules that you have for email (e.g., vacation message)
  • Email signatures
  • Personal Contact Groups
  • Delegated mailbox settings, message forwarding
  • Filters

2. Review your email for messages with the following characteristics; if you need to retain these messages, save them to your computer as they will not migrate: [#2 how does one make a copy of the messages?]

  • Email message size with attachments that exceed 25MB. For help finding these messages, refer to the support documentation for your particular email client.
  • Executable files (.exe), .bat, .chm, and .vb file attachments are not allowed in Google Mail and will not migrate. See the complete list of other disallowed file types.
  • Outlook .PST archive files

3. Empty your Spam, Trash, Deleted Items, and Draft folders. Messages within these folders will not migrate and getting rid of them in advance will help smooth the migration process.
4. If you have a folder named Archive or any with a caret character (^) or exclamation point (!) in the name, you need to rename the folder. Such folders will not migrate to Google labels.
5. If you have mail folders nested within your Inbox, move them (you may maintain the nested structure) to the main or root level of your mailbox. This will help to create more usable folder-to-label hierarchies in Google Mail and can also help avoid certain post-migration syncing issues.

[#5 need screenshots to explain what is meant by “root” and “nested in inbox”.  Please show how it should look when it is migration-ready.  Users experience the appearance of apps – they would not know if something is at the “root” or not.]

6. Check the total number of mail folders that will migrate. Google recommends a max of 200 for optimal mail performance. Our technical team has tested with higher folder/label counts and found that the system still performs well with up to 500. However, we have noticed performance and speed degradation as those counts go higher. If you have more than 500 folders in your current system, we recommend consolidating them.

7. Check for long or nested folders paths to make sure the paths to the folder (e.g. FY2010/Spring/May) do not exceed 225 characters. If any of them do, rename those folders to be less than 225 characters. Folder names or paths longer than 225 characters will be truncated during the migration.

[#7 – please provide screenshots]

Thanks!

Joyce Martin

Business Analyst

Facilities Services Information Technology

2000 Carleton

Berkeley, CA  94720-1380

(510) 643-1485

calshare links – log in like this:  CAMPUS\yourcalnetID     Password: your calnet passphrase

Joyce’s Blog – bCal Updates and bCal Discussion Board

FSITSupport Website

Universal Desktop User Info – Prep Info, How To’s, Discussion Board

Re: [Micronet] FW: Calmail-to-bMail Pre-Migration Checklist has been posted to bConnected

John Torres-O'Callaghan
A few more things that aren't clear:

If you have a folder named Archive or any with a caret character (^) or
exclamation point (!) in the name, you need to rename the folder. Such folders
will not migrate to Google labels.
<<<<<

Are the messages lost, or do they migrate but not get labelled properly?  If
they migrate, where will the user find them?

There are several reasons given why individual messages that will not migrate.
Will there be any sort of user notification?  Will it be possible to get into
CalMail to access these messages after the cutover?

Data classified as Protection Level 2 is NOT PERMITTED to be stored, transmitted
or processed in bConnected due to regulatory requirements and contractual
limitations.
<<<<<

Does that apply even if the data is in an encrypted attachment?

Are any steps being taken to try to detect such data and prevent it from
migrating to bMail, or is it just assumed that every CalMail account will be
reviewed and cleaned properly beforehand?  An automatic scanner isn't going to
catch everything, but it could catch the most blatant violations.

--
John Torres-O'Callaghan
IS&T Storage and Backup Administrator