[Micronet] FedEx phishing scam

Baril
To all,

There is a phishing scam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing)
involving FedEX going on right now. If you receive an email stating
FedEX could not deliver a package and asking you to open/print a
shipping label, DO NOT OPEN IT! You can forward it to: [hidden email]
and then delete it.

Best,

Roy

--
Roy A. Baril
Director of Technology

Re: [Micronet] FedEx phishing scam

Richard DeShong-2
And let's just start telling the people we support...
Delivery companies don't send emails to recipients.

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 11:15 AM, Baril <[hidden email]> wrote:
To all,

There is a phishing scam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing)
involving FedEX going on right now. If you receive an email stating
FedEX could not deliver a package and asking you to open/print a
shipping label, DO NOT OPEN IT! You can forward it to: [hidden email]
and then delete it.

Best,

Roy

--
Roy A. Baril
Director of Technology
Graduate School of Journalism
University of California
121 North Gate Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720
510-643-9215 -- Work
510-643-9136 -- Fax
925-352-9543 -- Cell

Richard DeShong, Systems Analyst, Athletic Study Center, U.C.Berkeley
164 Chavez Student Center, Berkeley, CA, 94720-4220
510-642-5123     asc.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] FedEx phishing scam

Richard DeShong-2
That's exactly why we need to keep the message simple.

1st) The vast majority of people do not have a "UPS My Choice" account for receiving proactive delivery notifications.  And if they do, then remind them to be aware of the format of the email.

2nd) Many of the people that fall for these phishing emails from delivery companies were not even expecting a delivery.  They've told me so when they are apologizing to me as I'm cleaning up their mess.

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 12:30 PM, Rusty Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:
But the company you ordered from may send you email when the delivery is made.  I have with Amazon, I think it was.  So from that people may get lulled into thinking the delivery companies have started doing it as well.  And with UPS you can sign up for some sort of email notification thing, and maybe FedEx as well.