[Micronet] FileMaker Server on a Virtual Private Server

[Micronet] FileMaker Server on a Virtual Private Server

Orlando Antonio Sánchez
Hello,

I'm trying to find out if anyone is using the campus VPS services with FileMaker Server 11 or 10. Looking into the VPS route as opposed to the colocation model.

Thanks,

Orlando

--
O r l a n d o    A n t o n i o    S á n c h e z
IT Manager

Re: [Micronet] FileMaker Server on a Virtual Private Server

Seth Novogrodsky
On 9/28/2011 1:45 PM, Orlando Antonio Sánchez wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to find out if anyone is using the campus VPS services with FileMaker Server 11 or 10. Looking into the VPS route as opposed to the colocation model.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Orlando

We are in the process of setting one up.  We are hopeful that it will be
a good solution, but we don't know yet.

Seth

--
Seth Novogrodsky, Letters&  Science Computing Resources
http://lscr.berkeley.edu

Re: [Micronet] FileMaker Server on a Virtual Private Server

Mike BLASINGAME
Orlando,

There are six installations of FileMaker Server running in the VPS service.  All of them are FileMaker Server 11. The Windows OS for all but one is managed by the Enterprise Windows Team.  Here are the units running them if you need to contact them for additional information.

Sponsored Projects Office, 1vCPU, 1GB RAM, 10GB storage
Athletic Study Center (self-managed), 1vCPU, 2GB RAM, 6GB storage
Disabled Students Program, 1vCPU, 2GB RAM, 10GB storage
Research Enterprise Support Services, 4vCPU, 4GB RAM, 35GB storage
School of Social Welfare, 2vCPU, 4GB RAM, 80GB storage
University Extension, 2vCPU, 2GB RAM, 40GB storage

Thanks,
Mike Blasingame
Enterprise Windows Team

[Micronet] FW: FileMaker Server on a Virtual Private Server

Mike BLASINGAME
Orlando,

I noticed the format of 6 installations did not come through very well, so here is another attempt:

Sponsored Projects Office, 1vCPU, 1GB RAM, 10GB storage

Athletic Study Center (self-managed), 1vCPU, 2GB RAM, 6GB storage

Disabled Students Program, 1vCPU, 2GB RAM, 10GB storage

Research Enterprise Support Services, 4vCPU, 4GB RAM, 35GB storage

School of Social Welfare, 2vCPU, 4GB RAM, 80GB storage

University Extension, 2vCPU, 2GB RAM, 40GB storage

I apologize for the spam.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: [Micronet] FW: FileMaker Server on a Virtual Private Server

Richard DeShong-2
We have two installations, FMS9 and FMS11.  Both work great.  Definitely
better than collocation - going virtual removes hardware from your list of
concerns.  And with the price reductions, not sure how any dept can justify
the initial budget hit for a server purchase.  Just put the budgeted amount
in an account, and draw from it on a monthly basis to pay for the virtual
server.

--
Richard DeShong, Information Systems Analyst
Athletic Study Center, UC Berkeley

Re: [Micronet] FW: FileMaker Server on a Virtual Private Server

Orlando Antonio Sánchez
Thanks all for your responses! This is great information!

Orlando
On Sep 28, 2011, at 3:05 PM, Richard DeShong wrote:

> We have two installations, FMS9 and FMS11.  Both work great.  Definitely
> better than collocation - going virtual removes hardware from your list of
> concerns.  And with the price reductions, not sure how any dept can justify
> the initial budget hit for a server purchase.  Just put the budgeted amount
> in an account, and draw from it on a monthly basis to pay for the virtual
> server.
>
> --
> Richard DeShong, Information Systems Analyst
> Athletic Study Center, UC Berkeley
> 164 Chavez Student Center
> 510-642-5123 office
> 925-285-1088 cell
> asc.berkeley.edu

John D. MacDonald

Not sure if this is at all interesting for your use case, but we have
a Win 2008 R2 server (on a self-managed, ESX-hosted VM) that is
deploying FileMaker Pro 11 as a RemoteApp.  It means we have a single
installation to patch and manage, and can deploy to either Mac or
Windows clients equally easily.

John

On 9/28/2011 2:35 PM, Mike BLASINGAME wrote:

> Orlando,
>
> There are six installations of FileMaker Server running in the VPS
> service.  All of them are FileMaker Server 11. The Windows OS for
> all but one is managed by the Enterprise Windows Team.  Here are
> the units running them if you need to contact them for additional
> information.
>
> Sponsored Projects Office, 1vCPU, 1GB RAM, 10GB storage Athletic
> Study Center (self-managed), 1vCPU, 2GB RAM, 6GB storage Disabled
> Students Program, 1vCPU, 2GB RAM, 10GB storage Research Enterprise
> Support Services, 4vCPU, 4GB RAM, 35GB storage School of Social
> Welfare, 2vCPU, 4GB RAM, 80GB storage University Extension, 2vCPU,
> 2GB RAM, 40GB storage
>
> Thanks, Mike Blasingame Enterprise Windows Team
>

> -----Original Message----- From:
> [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of
> Orlando Antonio Sánchez Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:45
> PM To: [hidden email] Subject: [Micronet]
> FileMaker Server on a Virtual Private Server
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to find out if anyone is using the campus VPS services
> with FileMaker Server 11 or 10. Looking into the VPS route as
> opposed to the colocation model.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Orlando

- --