[Micronet] Filemaker Pro 9 on Windows 7?

[Micronet] Filemaker Pro 9 on Windows 7?

tedcrum
Does anyone have experience running FM 9 on Windows 7 (Pro?)

The program seems to run fine, but it cannot make a peer connection
to a host computer running FM 9. This is done on port 5003; opening
the same database on the same host works on an XP machine on the same
network. I believe it's not a firewall problem. XP compatibility in
the shortcut does not help. I don't want to go to virtualized XP yet.

Wireshark doesn't even show that it's sending packets to the host,
and the error message comes up instantly.

Thanks,

Ted Crum
Psychology

Re: [Micronet] Filemaker Pro 9 on Windows 7?

Erik Klavon
On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 04:50:00PM -0800, Ted Crum wrote:

> Does anyone have experience running FM 9 on Windows 7 (Pro?)
>
> The program seems to run fine, but it cannot make a peer connection
> to a host computer running FM 9. This is done on port 5003; opening
> the same database on the same host works on an XP machine on the same
> network. I believe it's not a firewall problem. XP compatibility in
> the shortcut does not help. I don't want to go to virtualized XP yet.
>
> Wireshark doesn't even show that it's sending packets to the host,
> and the error message comes up instantly.

On the machine running windows 7, are you able to ping the host
computer running FM 9? On the machine running windows 7, are you able
to open a connection using telnet to port 5003 on the host computer
running FM 9?

What is the text of the error message you see when the connection
attempt fails?

Erik

Re: [Micronet] Filemaker Pro 9 on Windows 7?

Richard DeShong-2
Erik asked some good questions.
Also, you don't believe it is a firewall issue,
but it sounds just like a firewall issue.

Just for reference, FM9 runs OK on Win7, and connects properly
to a peer hosted db, or a server hosted db.

Since it is not connecting, then it's a firewall or network
routing issue.  Not a Win7 or FM9 issue.

That's why Erik asked about pinging and telneting the host.

If the system is on the campus network, then using the Remote Open
option, you should be able to see other servers on campus.

--
Richard DeShong, System Analyst
Athletic Study Center

> On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 04:50:00PM -0800, Ted Crum wrote:
>> Does anyone have experience running FM 9 on Windows 7 (Pro?)
>>
>> The program seems to run fine, but it cannot make a peer connection
>> to a host computer running FM 9. This is done on port 5003; opening
>> the same database on the same host works on an XP machine on the same
>> network. I believe it's not a firewall problem. XP compatibility in
>> the shortcut does not help. I don't want to go to virtualized XP yet.
>>
>> Wireshark doesn't even show that it's sending packets to the host,
>> and the error message comes up instantly.
>
> On the machine running windows 7, are you able to ping the host
> computer running FM 9? On the machine running windows 7, are you able
> to open a connection using telnet to port 5003 on the host computer
> running FM 9?
>
> What is the text of the error message you see when the connection
> attempt fails?
>
> Erik

> visit the Micronet Web site:

> the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet.  This
> means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses,

Re: [Micronet] Filemaker Pro 9 on Windows 7?

Michael Larson
Ted,

It's not clear that your host is a Fmkr Server; nonetheless,

Have you run the FMkr 9.0.3 updater?
http://www.filemaker.com/support/updaters/fmp_9.0v3_win.html

Have you run the FMkr 9.0.3 SSL updater?
http://www.filemaker.com/support/updaters/fmp_9.0v3SSL_win_update.html

Thanks,

Michael L

Michael Larson
L&S Computing Resources

On 2/4/11 4:50 PM, Ted Crum wrote:

> Does anyone have experience running FM 9 on Windows 7 (Pro?)
>
> The program seems to run fine, but it cannot make a peer connection
> to a host computer running FM 9. This is done on port 5003; opening
> the same database on the same host works on an XP machine on the same
> network. I believe it's not a firewall problem. XP compatibility in
> the shortcut does not help. I don't want to go to virtualized XP yet.
>
> Wireshark doesn't even show that it's sending packets to the host,
> and the error message comes up instantly.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ted Crum
> Psychology

Re: [Micronet] Filemaker Pro 9 on Windows 7?

Brett Larsen
  I have had problems with the Filemaker 9.0v3 install on Windows 7 32
bit.  Before and after running the SSL updater, I am not able to see the
same hosts that I was able to in Filemaker 8.5.  Even on the same
computer.  I have tried four different installs.  (One was successful on
the same Windows 7 32 bit image as the rest of the computers. )  This
9.0v3 install sees campus hosts consistently without problem in Windows
XP and the Windows XP VM on Windows 7.   I agree that running in a VM is
less than ideal since in many ways it is like deploying and supporting
another computer.

Filemaker 8 and 9 use the same port ( TCP and UDP 5003) to connect. I
don't think it is a firewall issue and have worked with the Windows Team
hosting the FM server to confirm this.

There were a date issues with SSL certificates with FM9.0v3 for "some"
installs with Vista according to Filemaker.  I tried a suggested
workaround to this by setting the computer clock back to before Sept.
1988 during the install.  This didn't work either however, at least in
Windows 7.

Also of interest, the install seems to be inconsistent on Windows 7
64bit. Filemaker says it won't work for this operating system.  As
reported to me, most installs don't work but some do in Windows 7 X64.

I have contacted Filemaker to see if they have any ideas.

Brett Larsen

On 2/7/2011 9:27 AM, Michael Larson wrote:

> Ted,
>
> It's not clear that your host is a Fmkr Server; nonetheless,
>
> Have you run the FMkr 9.0.3 updater?
> http://www.filemaker.com/support/updaters/fmp_9.0v3_win.html
>
> Have you run the FMkr 9.0.3 SSL updater?
> http://www.filemaker.com/support/updaters/fmp_9.0v3SSL_win_update.html
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael L
>
> Michael Larson
> L&S Computing Resources
>
> On 2/4/11 4:50 PM, Ted Crum wrote:
>> Does anyone have experience running FM 9 on Windows 7 (Pro?)
>>
>> The program seems to run fine, but it cannot make a peer connection
>> to a host computer running FM 9. This is done on port 5003; opening
>> the same database on the same host works on an XP machine on the same
>> network. I believe it's not a firewall problem. XP compatibility in
>> the shortcut does not help. I don't want to go to virtualized XP yet.
>>
>> Wireshark doesn't even show that it's sending packets to the host,
>> and the error message comes up instantly.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ted Crum
>> Psychology

Brett Larsen
Department of Onsite Computing Services
2484 Shattuck S321
Berkeley, CA 94720
http://docs.berkeley.edu

Please send Data Center tickets to:

[hidden email] (PC)
[hidden email] (Mac)

Re: [Micronet] Filemaker Pro 9 on Windows 7?

tedcrum
Thanks to everyone who replied.

A fun-filled weekend and a not-so-fun morning kept me from replying until now.

I should mentioned that:

The troubled FMP 9 client is on an installation of Windows 7 is
32-bit, which I chose hoping for better application compatibility.

The FMP 9 host is not the server version. It is peer-sharing a open
database with access to other users as defined in the database. The
host has been operating as such for a couple of years, under Win XP.

Other FMP 9 clients running under XP continue to be able to access
the same hosted database. Only the single FMP "trouble" installation
on Win 7 seems to be broken (unable to access the hosted database.)

The troubled client can ping the workstation that is hosting the
database. It can open local databases.

I have installed the SSL patch to Filemaker on the troubled machine.
I was sure that would fix it... FMP 9 seems to have very limited
preferences, and they do not mention SSL at all.

When attempting, from the trouble machine, to connect to the database
host, we get the message "<Filename>.fm7 could not be opened. Either
the host is not available or the file is not available on that
host."  Monitoring the network while the error is being generated
shows that no network traffic is generated between the client and the
host, and not even DNS. That could mean that FMP does not have access
to the network stack of Win 7 on the client. This is a expected with
Win7-64, but not necessarily with Win7-32. This happens even with the
firewall disabled on the trouble machine. I will try flushing the DNS
cache to see if that at least causes a lookup, which would indicated
that FMP has access to the stack. It seems to be a networking problem
inside the trouble machine.

Thanks again,

Ted Crum
Psychology

At 11:01 AM 2/7/2011, Brett Larsen wrote:

> [...]

> others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
> known you in the past.
>
>--
>Brett Larsen
>Department of Onsite Computing Services
>2484 Shattuck S321
>Berkeley, CA 94720
>http://docs.berkeley.edu
>
>Please send Data Center tickets to:
>
>[hidden email] (PC)
>[hidden email] (Mac)

>meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site:
>
>http://micronet.berkeley.edu
>
>Messages you send to this mailing list are public and
>world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched
>on the Internet.  This means these messages can be viewed by (among
>others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have
>known you in the past.

Re: [Micronet] Filemaker Pro 9 on Windows 7?

You haven't been specific about how you have attempted to connect to the
hosted files from the troubled computer. There are several possibilities
with client hosted FMkr files.

In the current situation I would

A) determine the IP address of the computer hosting the FMkr file;
B) on the troubled client in FMkr in Open Remote in the field for
Network File Path enter
    fmnet:/<the ip address of the host>/<the name of the file to open>

It is possible that networking may be involved. Is the troubled client
on a subnet separate from the hosting computer? FMkr can host and open
files across subnets; however, the hosted file will not necessarily
appear in the Open Remote File dialog.

SSL capability is a function of FMkr Server. I don't think it is
relevant in your current situation.

I recommend against using the client version of FMkr to host files. FMkr
developers with far more experience than I recommend the same. The
problem you are having is but a single example of why.

Michael L

On 2/7/11 2:30 PM, Ted Crum wrote:

> The FMP 9 host is not the server version. It is peer-sharing a open
> database with access to other users as defined in the database. The
> host has been operating as such for a couple of years, under Win XP.
>
> Other FMP 9 clients running under XP continue to be able to access
> the same hosted database. Only the single FMP "trouble" installation
> on Win 7 seems to be broken (unable to access the hosted database.)
>
> The troubled client can ping the workstation that is hosting the
> database. It can open local databases.
>
> I have installed the SSL patch to Filemaker on the troubled machine.
> I was sure that would fix it... FMP 9 seems to have very limited
> preferences, and they do not mention SSL at all.

Michael Larson
L&S Computing Resources

Re: [Micronet] Filemaker Pro 9 on Windows 7?

tedcrum
Thanks, Michael.

We connect to the database through "open remote" in the File menu. In
that dialog we specify the IP address of the host computer and the
name of the database.

In our testing we are very careful that these parameters are exactly
the same on the working (XP, can connect to the host) and the
troubled (Win7, cannot connect to the host) machines. Filemaker
resolves the entered parameters into a URL that is the same on both
machines. This URL is of the form fmnet:/<IPAddressofHost>/<FileName> .

I've always wondered why only one slash. Another form used in the FM
knowledge base is "fm7://"

The host is on another subnet, and we do not expect to be able to
browse to the hosted file; the user must know it a priori. Such is
the case with the working XP machine. (I may try getting browsing
working with BonJour much later.)

I will try entering the URL directly, per your suggestion. I will
also try John Wuorenma's suggestion that a file may be corrupt.

Thanks again,

Ted

At 08:50 AM 2/8/2011, Michael Larson wrote:

>Ted,
>
>You haven't been specific about how you have attempted to connect to
>the hosted files from the troubled computer. There are several
>possibilities with client hosted FMkr files.
>
>In the current situation I would
>
>A) determine the IP address of the computer hosting the FMkr file;
>B) on the troubled client in FMkr in Open Remote in the field for
>Network File Path enter
>    fmnet:/<the ip address of the host>/<the name of the file to open>
>
>It is possible that networking may be involved. Is the troubled
>client on a subnet separate from the hosting computer? FMkr can host
>and open files across subnets; however, the hosted file will not
>necessarily appear in the Open Remote File dialog.
>
>SSL capability is a function of FMkr Server. I don't think it is
>relevant in your current situation.
>
>I recommend against using the client version of FMkr to host files.
>FMkr developers with far more experience than I recommend the same.
>The problem you are having is but a single example of why.
>
>Michael L
>
>On 2/7/11 2:30 PM, Ted Crum wrote:
>>
>>The FMP 9 host is not the server version. It is peer-sharing a open
>>database with access to other users as defined in the database. The
>>host has been operating as such for a couple of years, under Win XP.
>>
>>Other FMP 9 clients running under XP continue to be able to access
>>the same hosted database. Only the single FMP "trouble" installation
>>on Win 7 seems to be broken (unable to access the hosted database.)
>>
>>The troubled client can ping the workstation that is hosting the
>>database. It can open local databases.
>>
>>I have installed the SSL patch to Filemaker on the troubled machine.
>>I was sure that would fix it... FMP 9 seems to have very limited
>>preferences, and they do not mention SSL at all.
>
>Michael Larson
>L&S Computing Resources
>[hidden email]

Re: [Micronet] Filemaker Pro 9 on Windows 7?

tedcrum
The advice from the forum that John Wuorenmaa quoted below worked.

I copied the file  server.pem from a working installation to the
trouble machine and it now connects reliably to the host. The copy of
server.pem that didn't work contained the phrase "invalid date".

I don't like that solution, and I think it has to do with the failure
of the SSL patch to install properly. I will try installing the patch
on a fresh installation before running Filemaker for the first time.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

-Ted Crum
Psychology

At 09:29 AM 2/8/2011, John Wuorenmaa wrote:

> [...]
>>host, we get the message "<Filename>.fm7 could not be opened. Either
>>the host is not available or the file is not available on that
>>host."  Monitoring the network while the error is being generated
>>shows that no network traffic is generated between the client and the
>>host, and not even DNS. That could mean that FMP does not have access
>>to the network stack of Win 7 on the client. This is a expected with
>>Win7-64, but not necessarily with Win7-32. This happens even with the
>>firewall disabled on the trouble machine. I will try flushing the DNS
>>cache to see if that at least causes a lookup, which would indicated
>>that FMP has access to the stack. It seems to be a networking problem
>>inside the trouble machine.
>>

>>Thanks again,
>>
>>Ted Crum
>>Psychology

Re: [Micronet] Filemaker Pro 9 on Windows 7?

I got an email from Filemaker this morning.  FileMaker Pro 9 was not
tested or certified to work on Windows 7.  They did give me some links.
(Below)  I had tried everything they suggested earlier except installing
Bonjour.  But Bonjour didn't resolve the issue of connecting to hosts,
the only issue I have had on three recent installs.  What's interesting
is that Microsoft stated that Filemaker 9 will work in Windows 7 32 bit
but not in 64 bit. Would Microsoft lie?

Brett Larsen

Filemaker Links:

Answer Title: System Requirements for FileMaker Pro 9 FileMaker Pro 9
Advanced.
Answer Link: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6215

Answer Title: Cannot See Hosted Database (Port forwarding)
Answer Link: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5493

Microsoft compatibility link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Filemaker%20Pro%20Professional&v=FileMaker%2C%20Inc.&uid=9&pf=0&pi=4&c=Enterprise%20Applications&sc=Business%20Intelligence%20%26%20Data%20Management&os=64-bit

On 2/8/2011 4:33 PM, Ted Crum wrote:

> [...]
>>> I was sure that would fix it... FMP 9 seems to have very limited
>>> preferences, and they do not mention SSL at all.
>>>
>>> When attempting, from the trouble machine, to connect to the database
>>> host, we get the message "<Filename>.fm7 could not be opened. Either
>>> the host is not available or the file is not available on that
>>> host."  Monitoring the network while the error is being generated
>>> shows that no network traffic is generated between the client and the
>>> host, and not even DNS. That could mean that FMP does not have access
>>> to the network stack of Win 7 on the client. This is a expected with
>>> Win7-64, but not necessarily with Win7-32. This happens even with the
>>> firewall disabled on the trouble machine. I will try flushing the DNS
>>> cache to see if that at least causes a lookup, which would indicated
>>> that FMP has access to the stack. It seems to be a networking problem

Please send tickets to:

[hidden email] (PC)
[hidden email] (Mac)

Re: [Micronet] Filemaker Pro 9 on Windows 7?

Brett Larsen
This solution worked for me and was the same provided me by the
Filemaker tech over the phone today.  Perhaps that should make us feel
better about replacing the certificate file.  If anyone needs a working
copy of the server.pem copy, contact me directly and I will send one.
Filemaker offered to do the same so I feel it's alright to offer.  As
John Wuorenmaa mentioned, the server.pem file should be over 5KB.

Brett Larsen

> [...]

>>> to the network stack of Win 7 on the client. This is a expected with
>>> Win7-64, but not necessarily with Win7-32. This happens even with the
>>> firewall disabled on the trouble machine. I will try flushing the DNS
>>> cache to see if that at least causes a lookup, which would indicated
>>> that FMP has access to the stack. It seems to be a networking problem
>>> inside the trouble machine.
>>>

>>> Thanks again,
>>>
>>> Ted Crum
>>> Psychology

Brett Larsen
Department of Onsite Computing Services
2484 Shattuck S321
Berkeley, CA 94720
http://docs.berkeley.edu

Please send tickets to:

[hidden email] (PC)
[hidden email] (Mac)

Re: [Micronet] Filemaker Pro 9 on Windows 7?

Good News, Brett.

I was also told in a phone call last night to Filemaker tech support
(free, zero wait!) that copying that file is the right way to fix it.
I also archived a copy, right next to the useless SSL patch.

-Ted Crum
  Psychology

At 04:38 PM 2/9/2011, Brett Larsen wrote:

>This solution worked for me and was the same provided me by the
>Filemaker tech over the phone today.  Perhaps that should make us feel
>better about replacing the certificate file.  If anyone needs a working
>copy of the server.pem copy, contact me directly and I will send one.
>Filemaker offered to do the same so I feel it's alright to offer.  As
>John Wuorenmaa mentioned, the server.pem file should be over 5KB.
>
>Brett Larsen
>
>On 2/8/2011 4:33 PM, Ted Crum wrote:
> > The advice from the forum that John Wuorenmaa quoted below worked.
> >
> > I copied the file  server.pem from a working installation to the
> > trouble machine and it now connects reliably to the host. The copy of
> > server.pem that didn't work contained the phrase "invalid date".
> >
> > I don't like that solution, and I think it has to do with the failure
> > of the SSL patch to install properly. I will try installing the patch
> > on a fresh installation before running Filemaker for the first time.
> >
> > Thanks to everyone who helped.
> >
> > -Ted Crum
> > Psychology
> >

> > At 09:29 AM 2/8/2011, John Wuorenmaa wrote:
> >> Ted,
> >> Maybe this forum post will help,
> >>
> (http://filemakertoday.com/com/showthread.php/26936-Remote-Host-found-but-files-can-t-be-seen
> >> ).   This guy is using Windows XP, but a thread about Windows 7 and
> >> Filemaker Pro 9
> >>
> (http://filemakertoday.com/com/showthread.php/27298-FileMaker-9-and-Windows-7-XP-Mode)
> >> pointed to this solution.

> >> Hope this helps,
> >>
> >> John Wuorenmaa
> >> Berkeley Language Center

Re: [Micronet] Filemaker Pro 9 on Windows 7?

jgstew
I solved the Filemaker Pro 9.0 compatibility issue with Windows 7 64bit by the following:

First you need ORCA which is a microsoft utility used to edit MSI packages, read here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370557(v=vs.85).aspx

If you have a single exe file for the Filemaker Pro install or update, extract it using 7 zip, found here: http://www.7-zip.org/

(right click on the exe, select the 7 zip menu, and then extract to <name of exe>\ )

You should now have access to many files, including the MSI file "FileMaker Pro 9.msi"

Open this file in ORCA by right clicking and selecting "edit in ORCA"

In ORCA under "Tables" select "LaunchCondition"

the 2nd "Condition" entry should be "(VersionNT=501 And ServicePackLevel>=2 And Privileged) Or (VersionNT>=502 And Privileged)", add "Or Privileged" to the end of this statement. This will effectively remove the Operating System check from the installer, and only have it check for admin privileges.

Hit save in ORCA and overwrite the MSI file.

Now run the setup like normal, it will work. Do the same for Filemaker Pro 9.0v3 update. The SSL update does not require any changes.

Please test this configuration and use at your own risk.

~James