[Micronet] Followup from CIS orientation meeting

[Micronet] Followup from CIS orientation meeting

Ryan L. Means

Micronetters,

Thanks to everyone who attended the CIS orientation call last week. I'm forwarding the following information from Michelle, our account representative from CIS. If anyone would be interested in additional meetings about applying the baselines in detail, please contact me and if there's enough interest, I'll get something set up.

--

Hi All,

Thank you for taking the time to meet with us last week.  I hope you all found the call useful.  We enjoyed meeting with you and look forward to continuing our relationship in the future. Please feel free to share this information with your colleagues.

1.      CIS Benchmark Consensus –  If you or your colleagues are interested in participating in the consensus process for any of the active projects you can go here to view and join the active projects: http://cisecurity.org/projects.  This collaboration site is separate from the Member’s Site and Forums.  To view general information about the consensus process go here: http://cisecurity.org/en-us/?route=community

Benchmark Roadmap – To view the release dates for benchmarks currently in consensus, please go here:  http://cisecurity.org/projects.  Here, you’ll find the list of projects, start and end date for consensus, the benchmark leader, open issues and how to get involved.

2.      CIS-CAT – Please go here to grab the latest CIS-CAT bundle:  https://members.cisecurity.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=230.  The bundle includes the Site Adaptation Guide, User Guide, Changelog and XCCDF’s.  If we can be of any assistance with customizing CIS-CAT, please don’t hesitate to contact us at [hidden email].  Also an 8 minute tutorial on downloading and running the CIS-CAT tool is available on the member’s site here: https://members.cisecurity.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=217

CIS-CAT Beta Testers Group – If you or others in your organization are interested in getting involved in the testing of CIS-CAT, please send an email to [hidden email] that contains your name and a list of platforms you will be able to test CIS-CAT on.

3.      Windows GPO’s – Below are links to the GPO downloads that cover the different profiles in the Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 benchmarks:

-        Windows 7 GPO

-        Windows Server 2008 GPO

4.      Router Audit Tool (RAT) –  Please go here to join the Router Audit Tool (RAT) project:  http://cisecurity.org/projects.  Once you have joined the project you can grab the RAT tool and begin providing feedback.

5.      CIS Consensus Security Metrics – To learn more about and download the CIS Consensus Security Metrics please go here: http://cisecurity.org/metrics.  If you or your colleagues would like to participate in the metrics initiative, you can join on the active project page here: http://cisecurity.org/projects.

After you and your colleagues have had a chance to review the published document, we’d welcome the opportunity to meet with you to further discuss the initiative.

6.      CIS Member Site Registration – An unlimited number of University of California employees may register for a user account on the CIS Members Site.  Each employee will need to register individually for a personal account, so long as they register using their University of California email address.

-        To register, take a moment to complete and submit the form at https://members.cisecurity.org/forums/register.php.  For identification purposes, all registrants must use their work email address.  After you submit the form, you will receive an email asking you to confirm that it was you who requested access.  Once you provide your confirmation, you will then receive a second email indicating that your registration has been activated and you can enter the site using the username and password you selected.

7.      CIS Support – If at any time you should you have questions, feedback or need support on CIS resources or your membership please contact us at [hidden email].

Please let me know if you have any questions about the above mentioned items or if I can provide you with anything further.  I look forward to working with you.

Best Regards,

Michelle

Michelle Vogeler

Member Representative