[Micronet] Form-bursting software- any experience?

[Micronet] Form-bursting software- any experience?

Nils Ohlson
Hello Micronetters,

I am wondering if anyone has any experience using "form-bursting" software, i.e. 3rd party products that will split a long report in pdf format, into a number individual pdf files based on faculty names; or 3rd party products that split output from a Crystal reports file to separate pdf files based on faculty name.

What I am trying to do is move away from printing 1,500 pages of monthly detail reports, generated via Crystal Reports from data on our Oracle database, that have to be printed, sorted, and distributed. We would like to find a non-e-mail, non-ftp distribution method that allows me to split the output from Crystal Reports into, say, 100 separate pdf files, with a "file-break" on the faculty name AND with the name incorporated into the pdf file name. Adobe Acrobat allows me to split the reports "by-hand" but I need an automated solution to make this time-effective.

I can program into the Crystal Reports file any "token" needed by the bursting software as a basis for file-break (e.g. a header or footer text "D:\forms\distribution\$faculty_name.pdf" where $faculty_name is a formula that is updated for each page generated).

What I cannot do is write a C program.

I found on the web references to:
"DocumentBurster"  http://www.pdfburst.com/
"Report Runner Batch"  http://www.jeff-net.com/jnrrb.htm#Pricing
"Apos Systems Bursting Manager"  http://www.apos.com/BurstingManager/
"Logicity Pro" by Saber Logic
"Visual Cut" by Millet Software
I can't tell from their fluff how effective or easy to use any of them are for my purposes.

If anyone has any experience with such software I would be very interested.

Thanks very much,
Nils
--
Nils Ohlson
Administrative Analyst

(510) 642-1325 phone
(510) 642-4313 fax

Re: [Micronet] Form-bursting software- any experience?

Dale Engle
Nils,

We haven't had actual experience with APOS but we've been considering them for their other offerings. They've been presenting at Crystal user groups for years, if that helps.

Dale

On 9/16/2010 12:20 PM, Nils Ohlson wrote:
[...]

[hidden email]
------------------------------------------------------------------------- The following was automatically added to this message by the list server: To learn more about Micronet, including how to subscribe to or unsubscribe from its mailing list and how to find out about upcoming meetings, please visit the Micronet Web site: http://micronet.berkeley.edu Messages you send to this mailing list are public and world-viewable, and the list's archives can be browsed and searched on the Internet. This means these messages can be viewed by (among others) your bosses, prospective employers, and people who have known you in the past.

--
Dale Engle
Senior Database Analyst